Nintendo 3DS: A full 3D glasses-less portable console...

RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Nintendo 3DS: A full 3D glasses-less portable console...

Post by RAGEdemon »

Dear ladies and gents,

I bought a used New 3DS XL for my daughter recently and can say the glasses-less 3D is brilliant. They go for ~$100 nowadays.

These might be a great starting point for your young ones - or even if you want a portable gaming console for yourself. Because of the 3D, I would much prefer this than something much more powerful like the Flat 2D nintendo switch.

Some insights:

-- The "New" 3DS has an order of magnitude better 3D than the original 3DS because it auto-calibrates the 3D screens live during gameplay using its eye tracking camera so the sweet-spot is very wide, compared to very narrow of the old systems.

-- Lottery - some consoles come with TN screens and some with IPS (much better). It is difficult to source the IPS screens but they are worth it.

-- The depth isn't great but it's better than nothing.

Anyway, there should be a decent selection post Christmas to choose from; you might want to pick one up to satisfy your curiosity or have something you can do with your kids - if you have 2 systems then you can play multiplayer games together etc.

All the best!
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Nintendo 3DS: A full 3D glasses-less portable console...

Post by skyrimer »

Yeah I couldn't agree more, it also can be easily hacked, so you can get tons of homebrew and emulators in there, it has great battery, really pocketable and Nintendo level " would survive an apocalypse" manufacturing quality, so indeed it's going to last me for ages.

I suggest that you get Shovel Knight treasure trove recently released, it has fantastic 3d ironically for a pixelated 2d game , and some of the best platforming gameplay of this decade. Also Kirby games have great 3d,even the nes game, the Genesis Remastered 3d games are incredible like Sonic, Shinobi or Street of Rage, and Shantae game is fantastic in 3d.

It's a pity, if 3ds released with the super stable 3d on new 3ds, 3d fate would have been very different imho.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

skyrimer wrote: It's a pity, if 3ds released with the super stable 3d on new 3ds, 3d fate would have been very different imho.
Right on brother! :woot :D

Thanks for the recommendations; I'll check them out...
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

I have to thank Nintendo for introducing me to 3D with the Nintendo 3DS back in 2012, after the first price drop of the console. I played with it with 3D always enabled and the maximum depth it allowed. It's what made me interested in trying 3D on PC.
Feisty_Fernando
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

skyrimer wrote: It's a pity, if 3ds released with the super stable 3d on new 3ds, 3d fate would have been very different imho.

The original was neat for what it could do. There were larger auto-stereo screens available when the Evo 3D phone came out. I don't know if nintendo ever made an official statement about the end of the 3DS, it just seemed like a quiet "no more games" thing after the system was fully hacked. Granted it's now easy to try out those JP 3DS games we never saw.

+1 on the Sega remakes - after 25 years I could finally see SMS Maze Hunter in 3D. Shame none of the Phantasy Star games rec'd the same 3D makeover.
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

I understand why people love Nintendo Switch but I'll just wait for a working emulator and for Masterotaku to do his magic and make it work in 3d somehow. For me new 3ds is the best handheld out there, you can easily find it for 80-100 and even pre-hacked, if not it's super easy to do, just check https://3ds.hacks.guide/ . it supports tons of emulator pre-n64, even some ps1 but not really well. I know there's a 3ds emulator that works in 3d, but i've tons of desktop games that work in 3d at home, however on the go 3ds is amazing.

This is the list of games I know of by 3d effect, if you any other games please share:

Great 3d effect:

Ridge Racer 3D
Cave Story 3D
Donkey Kong Country
3D Mario Land
Sega Genesis 3D remakes
Nintendo NES 3D Remakes
Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (didn't try majora's mask but uses the same engine)
Shovel Knight games
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Castlevania Mirror of Fate
Resident Evil Revelations
Starfox 64 3D
Mario Kart 7
Pilotwings Resort
Kid Icarus Uprising
Kirby games
Luigi Mansion 2 Dark Moon
Metroid Samus Returns
Mighty Switch Force