Can't get FreePIE to transmit over tethered USB

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
Fourtytwoish
One Eyed Hopeful

Can't get FreePIE to transmit over tethered USB

Post by Fourtytwoish »

Hi everyone,

I'm using pdanet, an HTC One and a Win 8.1 machine for tethering.
  • Browsing the web over the tethered connection works.
  • Using FreePIE over WLAN -> Router -> [Ethernet] PC works.
  • Pinging the local IP (from my phone) of the pdanet connection when tethered doesn not work.
  • Using FreePIE over the tethered connection does not work. [Debug mode does show the correct numbers]
I found that IP by disabling all network adapters except the pdanet one; it was the only entry left in ipconfig. Should be the right one, no?

WLAN is much too laggy to really work. Please help, thanks in advance!
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Can't get FreePIE to transmit over tethered USB

Post by CyberVillain »

Isnt tethered USB just a way of sharing the phones internet connection with a PC? Does it even create a real LAN?
Nilok
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nilok »

I've found you get really good latency if you use a virtual router from your PC.
A program like Virtual Router Manager allows you to connect your phone directly to your computer's wireless and treats it as the router (192.168.x.1). Programs like Kainy and the FreePIE IMU don't have to talk to the router and get redirected to their destination. You also don't need to worry about going to a place with spotty wifi or getting tangled with cords.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Sounds like this has nothing todo with FreePIE but a problem with the configuretion of your LAN.

FreePIE uses UDP so if you have a network setup that has UDP between two devices it should work
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I tested with my HTC One m8 and my pc get an Ip from the phone but if I use that from the FreePIE app on the phone it does not work

Maybe port 5555 is blocked? I don't know
kryptik
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kryptik »

I'm also have trouble with my Nexus 5 with Freepie over reverse usb tethering. Freepie on android transmits fine over wifi but stops as soon as i switch to tethering.
I added an exception of freepie to my firewall but still has this issue. I can get Splashtop to stream over reverse tethering with minimal lagjust fine, around 30ms to 150ms. Any suggestions?

Return to “FreePIE”