Shaky hands in Tuscany Hydra demo?

cerulianbaloo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Shaky hands in Tuscany Hydra demo?

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Not sure if anyone else has encountered this, thought I'd post and see if anyone may have some suggestions for me to correct it. Just got my Hydra today and although I don't have my DK yet, I was anxious to see how the Hydra worked. So I followed all the steps in the PDF, I've got the base station facing the right way, have Motion Creator 2 up and running, all that checks out, but whenever I fire up the Tuscany demo and after I run through the calibration steps (left stick pointing at station trigger, right stick, hold to shoulder trigger) I'm getting hands that are shaking. It's tracking movement fine, and I've noticed the shaking subsides if I have the sticks about half a foot away from the station (I sit about a foot away from it). Maybe the distance I'm sitting is the problem? Does the station really need to be that close to you for smooth movement? Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Re: Shaky hands in Tuscany Hydra demo?

Post by Machinima »

The hydra's work fine at a reasonable distance for me, not really pushed it but I want to say 1m. The shaking you describe sounds like magnetic interference, do you have any electronics close by the base station, e.g. a monitor (some are worse than others for interference)?

Also, isn't the calibration to have both controllers to your shoulders?
cerulianbaloo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Yeah you were right it was interference. Today I learned my plasma TV creates a lot of it lol. Moved it back about five feet and there's very little jitter now, so thank you! Also, that kind of interference wouldn't harm the Hydra hardware would it?
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

cerulianbaloo wrote:Yeah you were right it was interference. Today I learned my plasma TV creates a lot of it lol. Moved it back about five feet and there's very little jitter now, so thank you! Also, that kind of interference wouldn't harm the Hydra hardware would it?
No, the only consequence would be the symptoms you've already seen.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
headd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by headd »

There was also a tool I found in Motion Creator 2 that let you see a graph of the signals, I used this to figure out which one of my monitors was causing interference
cepwin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cepwin »

Thanks for posting how you used the tool to find your issue headd. I tried the same thing and discovered my main monitor is the issue (the graphs were crazy...move the tool window to my second monitor and turned the first one off and it worked perfectly...now I just have to figure out how to deal with it.) In case anyone else is having this issue in the motion creator, under tools there is Simple3d which brings up a window with the representation of the controllers...pressing g provides graphs of the controllers behavior..if you're getting interference the controllers will giggle and the graphs will be all over the place. When you turn of the offending electronics the graphs will go way down and the controller representations will stop giggling.

Return to “Oculus VR”