my idea for how oculus and facebook work together

JDuncan
Cross Eyed!

my idea for how oculus and facebook work together

Post by JDuncan »

facebook lets you look at the real world through snapshots people take in the real world.
People make small comments and sometimes short videos.

But VR is about presence, you feel your in another world, which isn't about snapshots or 10 second videos.

So facebook needs that app for the VR to let the VR blossom in facebook.
Imagine looking at a virtual computer screen using the oculus, so you see the facebook screen in VR.
And your in a new room somewhere in the world.
Now where this room is can be anywhere, paris, or hong kong, etc.
That is a idea for a app for the new oculus using facebook that people would welcome.

That would require a 4k oled screen though to get the resolution on the virtual computer screen needed.

If your keyboard has something a camera can see, the camera can look at the keyboard and recreate it in vr, now you use the mouse and keyboard in vr to control the virtual pc you use in vr to look at facebook.

To use the keyboard your hands have something the camera can look at and then paste into vr to show when the keyboard and fingers touch.

Now you have the virtual screen showing facebook, the virtual keyboard and virtual mouse and everything is muy bueno, that is the app that would work for facebook and the oculus.
smsithlord
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: my idea for how oculus and facebook work together

Post by smsithlord »

This sounds a lot like how Anarchy Arcade works. It even uses the Facebook API to generate a 3D version of your Facebook wall. :)
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Using facebook on a computer in virtual world seems very...mundane. There is not really much reason to put on a VR headset if you just intend to use facebook, unusual surroundings or not, you are looking at facebook.
3trip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3trip »

Mystify wrote:Using facebook on a computer in virtual world seems very...mundane. There is not really much reason to put on a VR headset if you just intend to use facebook, unusual surroundings or not, you are looking at facebook.
I think of it as steams built in browser API, it will be a nice add on feature, but it won't stand on it's own.

Return to “Oculus VR”