Oculus Rift on USA Today

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Oculus Rift on USA Today

Post by geekmaster »

This was just posted at USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/colu ... y/4740631/
Palmer Luckey's Oculus Rift gaming device made it happen with a tiny meeting room in a faraway section of CES 2014, creaming the competition with multiple Best of Show awards for his futuristic virtual reality headset.
Tech site Gizmodo called Oculus "by far the most exciting thing at CES," while Engadget called it "the best of the best." "The future can't get here soon enough," noted our own Reviewed.com.
To anyone who asked at CES, Luckey and his team refused to divulge when his baby would be released. Surely in 2014, right?

He's not saying when.

Does he have any idea?

"I have a pretty good idea," he says. "I'm just not going to tell you."

Surely by 2015?

"If it doesn't come out by the end of next year, then something's gone wrong. We do want to get this thing out quickly, but it takes time."
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Oculus Rift on USA Today

Post by cybereality »

Great article.
Libertine
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Libertine »

3D aint so bad after all, huh... ;)
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Awesome that Oculus is getting this kind of press despite not even being anywhere close to marketing hype mode. Does Oculus even have anything resembling a marketing department yet? I get the sense USA Today is coming to them asking to generate this coverage. If that's what is happening, it's a sign of something special.

100% agree with the ""If it doesn't come out by the end of next year, then something's gone wrong" quote, also - Q4 2014 would be ideal from where I'm sitting, but that's literally two thousand miles from Irvine. This thing is happening no matter how many armchair CEOs appear, guys. :D
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Guys, this is all planted by http://a16z.com/

Don't get me wrong, the Rift is brilliant stuff, but you have to take every article with a grain of salt now.

I've worked on companies backed by high end silicon VC, they are all in bed with tech journalists everywhere. This is very well known.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Good video though.

Palmer has as we say in the industry - a massive runway. He's young, articulate, friendly, and was able to invent a lot of this technology. Expect great things.

Hopefully he's surrounding himself by the right mentors that see in him the pretty obvious potential.

The best model I think I've seen for such folks is Steve Jobs. The key is to leverage your brand and synthesize the brilliance of the people around you into insanely great products, take credit for that synthesis, grow your brand, wash and repeat.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
3trip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3trip »

Wow, the USA today tech section sucks, I want to know about the tech, not lucky's love life.

Return to “Oculus VR”