CES 2014 prototype. What are these lenses?

Inscothen
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

CES 2014 prototype. What are these lenses?

Post by Inscothen »

Is it just me or do these lenses look quite a bit larger?

Also, it appears the headset extends out more. It could be just because of a MIPI circuit behind the display, but if the lenses are larger diameter and lower magnification the housing would have to extend further out. If larger diameter and lower mag, we may have a larger "sweetspot" and more clarity across the whole lens. :D

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/01/07/oc ... l-ces-2014
Last edited by Inscothen on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: CES 2014 prototype. What are these lenses?

Post by colocolo »

maybe those are lenses to dial in.
there is a grooved grey edge, perhaps this is where you dial them in.
perhaps a membrane that changes its curvature or a movable second lens beneath the front.
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

I noticed that too. Somehow they seem shinier than the DK1 lenses.. and they certainly seem a bit bigger! The angle of the plastic cup it's mounted on is much steeper..

I wonder if they've improved the FOV beyond 110 at all.. hmm.. Bigger lenses might certainly suggest that! :D
remosito

Post by remosito »

didn't PL said larger sweet spot is one improvement of more recent optics they've been using?
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

colocolo- I think those are 3d-printed eyecups.

NikoKun- larger FOV would be great but I'm hoping larger lenses means more optical clarity first.

remosito- I remember hearing that. Hopefully these are the new DK2 lenses.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Wow, they do look a lot bigger! I bet they're more forgiving on more extreme IPDs. Perhaps the extra size also stems from the LED driving electronics?

I also couldn't help but notice: they've written something in sharpie on the insides of these prototypes; what could it mean? It changes between articles.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

In other news, Sony's new HMD is completely underwhelming. It seems to be more or less an HMZ, but now with some form of head tracking.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Are these referred to as the 'crystal grove'.

This is a demo of their mipi and whatever
Display they have hooked up. Any know what?
MSat

Post by MSat »

cgp44 wrote:Are these referred to as the 'crystal grove'.

This is a demo of their mipi and whatever
Display they have hooked up. Any know what?
The Crystal Cove prototype as shown in the images above contain an OLED display which likely utilize a MIPI interface.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

In one of the videos the guy using it mentions how well it now fits over his glasses (as the DK does not) and I have seen the screendoor mentioned again a couple of times.
So I guess they went for the full FOV with this demonstration and it got back a bit of visibility.

No idea about optics, but I guess the new setup was made to make the device more comfortable for users with glasses, not to reach an even higher FOV. Looking at what the competition is likely to offer this first generation there is a risk of feeling "pixelated" between those similar high-res, lower fov HMDs, so I guess they will start with a compromise. Once people accepted VR there is still time to focus on optimizing FOV.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

and one interesting point from the oculusvr forums:
Inscothen wrote:
Not Oculus here, but the new CES2014 prototype's lenses probably maintain clarity around ±10mm(from 64mm) IPD range. Should suit most people.
So that bigger sweetspot might solve that problem too ...
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Inscothen wrote:Is it just me or do these lenses look quite a bit larger?
I strongly suspect Oculus has been tweaking the optics continually, but keep in mind, the 7" panel in the DK1 is friggin' HUGE compared to the optimal ~5.5" panel. It's not inconceivable that these are the same lenses we all own, they just appear larger because the panel and housing are considerably smaller in this device.
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
remosito

Post by remosito »

Latest tested review of the Crystal Cove prototype has some intersting tidbits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpNQHNkJY1g

- screendoor more visible than last years HD prototype.
- more diagonal shaped

the guy strongly suspects pentile. Sounds like a Samsung OMOLED display (I would guess a Note 3).

Have memory traces of people doing loupe tests on HD screens and pentile AMOLED showing more screendoor at same ppi than LCDs/non-pentile

Or in other words. Reports of increased screen door might not be a changed FoV due to lenses thing at all. Just a result of the display used.
Well, or both of course.
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
MSat

Post by MSat »

Good review by Tested.

Judging by the side-by-side images of an RGB LCD and a pentile OLED on this site http://www.oled-info.com/nouvoyance-exp ... ast-longer it looks like the OLED has a worse fill factor.
FR3D
Cross Eyed!

Post by FR3D »

MSat wrote:Good review by Tested.

Judging by the side-by-side images of an RGB LCD and a pentile OLED on this site http://www.oled-info.com/nouvoyance-exp ... ast-longer it looks like the OLED has a worse fill factor.
http://www.oled-info.com/diamond-pixel- ... rrangement

the "new" samsung oleds have "diamond" pixel arrangement ... so thy use an old panel @ CES ?

best regards FR3D
best regards FR3D
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

I've compared pics of the DevKit and CrystalCove. If the lenses really are bigger then they might only be maybe 5mm difference. Not enough for covering that much of a IPD variance I think.

Still curious on hearing anything from Oculus or anyone's opinion if they've tried CC.
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

Cymatic Bruce said this about the CC:
The optics are different - the lens cups were bigger. The unit must also be a bit more wide, as I fit my glasses easily and comfortably without dragging them off when I took off the unit. The FOV matches the DK1 - an improvement over the lower FOV of the regular HD unit.

:D
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

From Palmer and Nate's reddit Q&A video:
still prototype optics

a lot better than dk1 optics

larger diameter

larger exit pupil

larger IPD range without IPD adjustment, most people will still see a very clear image

very slightly wider FOV than dk1

shorter focal length than DK1 (housing doesn't have to extend out as far as I thought in my original post)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NwG7OkREOQ

Return to “Oculus VR”