John Carmack confirms 2nd dev kit is in the works

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: John Carmack confirms 2nd dev kit is in the works

Post by Fredz »

blazespinnaker wrote:There's a big gap between ports and exclusive titles, and that gap can be described with one word: nausea.
If the port uses an engine with VR support it certainly won't be a problem. Considering the good amount of game engines that already have Rift support although the consumer version isn't even out yet (Unity, UDK, Unreal 3 & 4, Source, CryEngine, Unigine) I don't think it'll be a problem in the future either.

I'm even not sure latency will be a problem for existing games using stereo drivers if I interpret correctly how they did manage to reduce latency on the software side.

Oculus Rift development kit :
IMG_4695.jpg
Oculus Rift consumer version :
IMG_4696.jpg
The only difference on the software side between the devkit and the consumer version is the 16ms vs 2ms latency in the game engine.

My guess is that the rendering takes the same time in both cases, but in the second one it's done for a higher FOV. The view would then be rotated in the last stage of the graphics pipeline depending on the most recent values of the sensor read from another thread.
blazespinnaker wrote:But I am pretty sure they have solved it under ideal circumstances, ie: computers with ideal hardware and software which provides all the correct visual queues.
Games will still need to be able to render the two views at the required frequency. It'll be a bit more costly for the consumer version (90Hz) compared to the devkit (60Hz), but more than one year would have passed between the two releases and the average gamer PC will be a bit more powerful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alejux
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alejux »

blazespinnaker wrote:I'm actually kind of curious here how many people are actually using the Rift for gameplay.
I can honestly foresee, that Dragon Age 3 and Witcher 3 are going to be the last games I'll ever play using 2D monitors. After that, it will all be VR games for me. As to how many people play games with the DK1, you could do a poll. I've seen a lot of people saying they would never go back to old normal gaming with boring old 2D monitors after experiencing VR. And that is with the DK1. I can only imagine the kind of addiction that will be caused by the CV, with a higher resolution, lower latency, positional tracking, STEM (or other hand controls) and what's more important, more content...
blazespinnaker wrote:I do not. When I get an Omni, that will change, because it will make sense. That set up will be providing an experience sitting down in front a monitor can't come even come close to. Right now sitting down and playing FPS etc is a total disconnect between what my body tells me and what my eyes are telling me, no matter how low latency / high res the Rift is.

A part of me wonders if maybe OVR is going to use part of that 75M to compete with Virtuix. Palmer never really endorsed the Omni, remember? They're very excited about reducing nausea (they should be) and if standing up helps than I think they almost have to compete with the Virtuix.

It would be awfully sad if they do that instead of partnering, but frankly not all that surprising. It's a dog eat dog world out there..

Hmmm, I wonder if that's why Jan went on Shark Tank. If so - well played, dude, well played.

OculusVR has no intention of competing with Virtuix, Virtualizer or any other walking/running peripheral out there. It has it's hands full in trying to create the best possible visual experience and head-tracking. I can see OVR spending a lot of effort now in promoting new content for it's first commercial release, and also doing massive research in the near future for eye tracking, facial tracking, hand-tracking, VR gloves and so forth, because those are an integral part of a minimum VR gear. Running peripherals though, are probably going to be a 3rd party gear for a long time, and personally, I only see a minority of gamers wanting to actually run while playing games. I would much rather they came up with something that allowed us to play standing up but without running.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Alejux wrote:I can honestly foresee, that Dragon Age 3 and Witcher 3 are going to be the last games I'll ever play using 2D monitors. After that, it will all be VR games for me. .
I did played Witcher2 and Drageon Age 2 on my 3D monitor and i am super super super excited if Witcher 3 and DA2 could ever come with VR

DA3 will be FrostBite high chance being Rifted.

RED Engine...W3 Wild Hunt , Palmer Can you Please.....
(i know it won't be considering gameplay and fact that game must be 99% complete by now..... I am happy though its still 3D VISION READY.. my LG D2342P will do it..)
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

Alejux wrote:I would much rather they came up with something that allowed us to play standing up but without running.
What's stopping you to play while standing ? :) You can use a game controller.
Alejux
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alejux »

Attreyu wrote:
Alejux wrote:I would much rather they came up with something that allowed us to play standing up but without running.
What's stopping you to play while standing ? :) You can use a game controller.
Yeah, but I would need something to allow me to use my body to move in the game without risking running into walls, and at the same time not have to actually run. More like positioning myself and leaning this or that way. I'm going to create the concept I'm talking about. I'll post it later today.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

it's not about rendering it's about this list here that Dilip gave:
1) No inhuman reverse run speed
2) No stair climbing (one can use elevators or walking slope instead)
3) No ultra fast movement or inhuman reflexes
4) No cornered UI/HUD
5) No use of 8/9 number micro fonts
6) No use of shortcuts by mixing 2D with 3D (major studios does that, as no one consider even Stereo 3D as widespread medium can't even think of VR then ha ha ha)
7) Real depth assessment .real life like object placement
8) Actual mimicing of human vision FOV of world from average hight, IE 5.5~6 feet.
I'll also add no sudden stops / jumping from great heights / running into things.

Another big one is visual resets / awful cues occurring when you enter crowded corridors or small buildings.

Problem is that a lot of things that make games fun make them vomit inducing in the Rift.

It has it's hands full in trying to create the best possible visual experience and head-tracking
No, you're forgetting about nausea. OVR is very very focused on reducing that. It may be that standing up in something like the Omni the only way to completely reduce it.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!

Return to “Oculus VR”