Why could Oculus Rift change the world? One aspect

colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Why could Oculus Rift change the world? One aspect

Post by colocolo »

we have often heard Palmer Luckey and other guys speaking of Oculus Rift and its potential to change the world. well, i dont know yet in which way it could change the world, but one thing for me is sure.
Short-sightedness is a very common problem and yet no solution to prevent this transformation of human eyes has been found although reasons why it occurs seem pretty obvious. People now(20th/21thcentury) living in cities have to use their eyes for reading (school, university....) handwork what stimulate the eyes to grow in length to compensate the disuse of far seeing. Studies have shown that chinese people before industrialization ( as they lived on land) had much better eyes than now living in cities and getting educated. (80% got short sightenend!!! :woot )(in germany about 50% are visually impaired). Furthermore studies with natural folks have confirmed that people living in nature have much better eyes than people in modern countries.
I have made the experience that looking at a monitor for many,many hours daily or reading extensively can make eyes worse in less than a half year with a dioptre increase at about 0,5. i have to wear reading glasses now to prevent my eyes to grow more and more. for me the reason why people are getting short sightened seems very clear. Go out and use your eyes for the distance.
Here is where the Rift appears as the saving white knight. I know that my eyes cant be improved anymore, but there are many more younger generations (myopia starts in youth) to come who would very likely benefit from the Rifts quality to go out for some hours and use and train the eyes for distance seeing. i am pretty confident that humanity could benefit from the Rift in this regard.
I have yet not used a Rift but from reading i understood that the Rift has the major benefit of glancíng at the horizont although resolution is not that high. But i guess in future it will be much higher, thus much better to
focus at far objects.
Libertine
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Why could Oculus Rift change the world? One aspect

Post by Libertine »

Since switching to 3D Vision for games in the last 3 years, i noticed the blurriness that i had for things in the distance after a long day of computing has pretty much gone away. Two things happened. The 3D obviously, then the distance to the display increase by about 2x, to just under 1 meter because its a 46" display although i pull it to 1.5 meters for some immersive games for the higher FOV.

I thought it was the 3D, but it might also be the display distance change. The Rift focuses at infinity, so that might alleviate any problems?

IMO, becuase of recent health findings, id be 1000x more worried about the negative effects of sitting still for long periods of time and diet.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

yeah, sitting still, fortunately ODTs catch up.
it has to be the reason for short sightendness. Why should 40 million human beings in Germany have suddenly bad eyes. Would they live in the wilderness they wouldnt survive that long. Good vision in nature is crucial and does not change that fast without any good reason i think.
For some reason human eyes adapt to new usage very quickly. Evolution??? Unfortuantely human beings want both, far sight and near sight and all in UltraHD. :lol:
i there one animal in nature that uses its eyes for nearsight?
apparently eyes arent made for near sight..... :(
I guess humans have to invent sth new here. Perhaps brain/nerve controlled adaptive lenses.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Hey, and people always said playing video games would make you go blind. Not anymore.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

i looked up the internet for some adaptive eyewear. Currently there are two technologies that can dial in different focus.
http://www.pixeloptics.com/ uses liquid crystals to change for one far and near sight value.
http://www.superfocus.com/uses a transparent membrane right behind normal prescription glass which curvature you can change by dialing a small wheel at the top of the frame. this way you can dial in any focus at any distance manually.
I am wondering what Oculus VR is using to dial in the focus. Superfocus glasses tend to be a bit more expensive like 500$.

EDIT: ideally it would be cool if it would be possible to change the focus of adaptive eyewear (like superfocus) via electromyographic recordings of your lens muscles (musculus ciliaris). or a small sensor in your eye that senses the form of your lens and then can implicate which focus to dial in, taken into account your normal prescription of course- if the muscle is behaving like normal.

Return to “Oculus VR”