Real Time Video Feed - USB camera to Oculus Rift ??

mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Real Time Video Feed - USB camera to Oculus Rift ??

Post by mickman »

I'm wondering if someone can help me out ...

I'm trying to find the best method of getting a live video feed from duel cameras into the rift ?

It does not necessarily need to be wireless but I would like the feed to be in the range of 100m +

There's loads of FPV flight cameras, transmitters & receivers available but most of the videos on Youtube etc.. are recorded not live. The image the pilot views through his HMD is often very poor.

I was thinking of using the " Visual Sensor " camera ( an IndieGogo campaign on now ) which utilises USB2 out ... then into a USB2 booster that carries the signal over a Cat-5 / 6 cable ... then into the Rift. Will this work ??

I also have several servos for pitch & yaw camera movement that will be triggered via the Oculus Rift head tracking via an Arduino.

note: the camera will be in line of sight from the Oculus Rift so maybe a wireless setup will be fine... but has anyone experienced the quality of live video feed via wireless ?
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
mediavr
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Real Time Video Feed - USB camera to Oculus Rift ??

Post by mediavr »

I have a couple of Mobius cameras which have a webcam mode and you can stream two cameras via USB into the Rift using Stereoscopic Multiplexer and Stereoscopic Player (1280 by 720 each video). The 3d impression is great in the Rift and the sync looks good. There are two models now with different fisheye lenses, one more wide angle than the other. Or you can use other M12 mini lenses, so long as they have an IR filter.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559
mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mickman »

I really appreciate the link. I've never heard of Mobius cameras so I'll do some research over the next few days.

as a side note: Today I ordered a camera tracking sensor board called Pixy. It looks really amazing & cheap considering the speed at which it can track objects.
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

The Pixy won't have a video output, I think. The point is that the CV processing is done onboard. Who knows? Maybe it can stream the video as fast as it does CV on it.

Return to “Oculus VR”