New to stereo. What is my best bet?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
gozne
One Eyed Hopeful

New to stereo. What is my best bet?

Post by gozne »

Hello!!. I'm just a new member, and I'm trying to find the best option to just enjoy stereoscopic videogames.

This are my system specs:

QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz (9 x 267)
3328 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB)
Dell 2407WFP (Digital) [24" LCD]
Phillips 109B6 [19" CRT]
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
ForceWare_173.68 XP32
E-D edimansional shutterglasses

I tried to setup in several different ways the edimensinal glasses with the nvidia drivers with no result. I even removed the bottom right pin of the 19'' CRT with the screwdriver (and managed to put it back in place).

And my only positive result was the edimensional controller with the 19'' CRT monitor, although It was really disapointing. Every setup attempt with my TFT 24'' ended with catastrophic results.

So far I've used the monitors separately, but I've read that ideally you can make dual screen setup.

My questions are:

Should I use the CRT as second monitor?
Should I forget about my shutterglasses and try the anaglyph way?
Does it anaglyph work both in LCD and CRT?
Should I forget my shutterglasses with my LCD?
Should I completelly forget my shutterglasses?
Should I dump my shutterglasses away?
Should i try the IZ3d 1.08 driver?
Is the IZ3d 1.08 driver the way to go analgyph?
Is the IZ3d 1.08 driver the way to go edimensional shutterglasses?

I know there's a user who is having exactly the same problems as me. His name's okto, I think. Okto, if you're there did you came up with any solution?

Thanks everyone who made this MTBS website exist.
The_Doctor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: New to stereo. What is my best bet?

Post by The_Doctor »

Should I use the CRT as second monitor?
----Yes, you can do that.

Should I forget about my shutterglasses and try the anaglyph way?
----No, shuterglasses is much better, iz3d driver will work eventually.

Does it anaglyph work both in LCD and CRT?
----Yes

Should I forget my shutterglasses with my LCD?
----No, wait until 1.09 iz3d driver is out

Should I completelly forget my shutterglasses?
----No

Should I dump my shutterglasses away?
----No

Should i try the IZ3d 1.08 driver?
----1.09 should be out soon, but you can try it, won't blow up anything.

Is the IZ3d 1.08 driver the way to go analgyph?
----Yes, or the nvidia driver for vista, or the old nvidia driver for xp.

Is the IZ3d 1.08 driver the way to go edimensional shutterglasses?
----No, 1.09 hopefully
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Agreed everything the doctor said but i have to add one: Older games runs fine using the nvidiadriver and a 7900 card. Regarding the hardware you have in your setup this doesn't really seem to fit in your options though. Just thinking that it's at least worth a mention.
Wait for the release of the iz3d-driver v1.09 (anyday this week). Then you can make further decisions.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but shutter glasses cannot be used on a standard LCD because the refresh rate is not high enough. This is not a driver issue, but a monitor issue.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Correct. The internal lag in the electronics of an lcd-screen is the cause of this. Reason is that the signal from a vga-output is about the same signal required to control the light intensity of the little dot drawing pictures on a screen directly (crt-screen). An lcd-screen have electronics to switch each pixels on/off and needs an electronic circuit to translate (and store) the original signal to a suitable format for the lcd-screen. Because of bandwidth issue (computerpower in the electronics) the lcd-screen have a bigger lag than the crt-screen. This is often why you even can forget to use a 2ms lcd for stereogaming (2ms gives 500/2Hz ~250Hz stereorate and eyerate in stereo 125Hz theoretically) but the interface electronics in between makes it impossible. But: I don't see any reason why this actually can't be changed. With enough power in the interface circuit this could very well be accomplished but as always it's an issue of cost and almost only stereoviewers and gamers with really quick reaction time would enjoy this. So: If anyone says an lcd actually works with stereo3d i wouldn't be surprized because it could very well be possible.

edit: Forgot to mention that those 2ms in most cases seems to be the switching time of the pixels. Somehow many times badly called responce time. :?
Last edited by Likay on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NITRO1250
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by NITRO1250 »

So wait, I have my ED Shutter glasses sitting in a box and they have been for a year and a half or more because of various upgrades and CRT dying on me that I gave up hope on ever being able to use them on my LCD. I have a T-series Samsung Syncmaster 22-in HDCD (LCD) monitor with 2ms response time. Are you saying that if I use the IZ3D driver, I can hope to use my shutter glasses at a reasonable refresh rate without giving me a migraine? If yes is the answer (provided it works on Vista 64bit with an 8800GTX), then I'd be so happy!
QX6700 ~ ASUS Striker Extreme mobo ~ 4GB GSkill RAM DDR800 ~ eVGA GeForce 8800GTX SC Ed. ~ 850W PSU ~ 3TB HDD Space ~ ED Glasses+Anaglyph
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I think he wants to say that in best case you have about 1 frame delay (lag) and just have a revearsed picture and can use the SG on your LCD.

But it is more likely, that you would see half the picture in 3D and the other halve in revearsed 3D. Maybe with an area with a LOT of ghosting between. It hapens for CRT if you look at an other CRT which runs in at same frequency, but is connected to a different PC...

Maybe some electronics could be build to built in a delay for the SG, but it might be necessary to make them differently for each LCD.
But you could have luck...
Oh and I don't know about the refresh rate of your screen... But I assume it won't take and output 100hz --> flicker :-(
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

NITRO1250 wrote:So wait, I have my ED Shutter glasses sitting in a box and they have been for a year and a half or more because of various upgrades and CRT dying on me that I gave up hope on ever being able to use them on my LCD. I have a T-series Samsung Syncmaster 22-in HDCD (LCD) monitor with 2ms response time. Are you saying that if I use the IZ3D driver, I can hope to use my shutter glasses at a reasonable refresh rate without giving me a migraine? If yes is the answer (provided it works on Vista 64bit with an 8800GTX), then I'd be so happy!
No, an LCD is not currently fast enough. Almost all max out at 60HZ. So, you cut that in half, to 30HZ, which is far too slow. I think you will see the flicker.
NITRO1250
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by NITRO1250 »

I know what 60hz look like, and it is migraine-ville in about 5 minutes. The 3D is good, but headache inducing.
QX6700 ~ ASUS Striker Extreme mobo ~ 4GB GSkill RAM DDR800 ~ eVGA GeForce 8800GTX SC Ed. ~ 850W PSU ~ 3TB HDD Space ~ ED Glasses+Anaglyph
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Answer to your question: Those 2 milliseconds are the switching time of the pixels. (shifting from black to white etc). The actual entire screenupdatefrequency is in most cases MUCH lower. I haven't got any success with either my samsung syncmaster 19" screen, lcd-projectors or the iz3d. (lol. i tried. :D ). The delay in the internal electronics isd too big for a proper function with shutters. Sorry if i misleaded you but i tried to explain why lcd's currently doesn't support shutters but also that there might be a chance some could (don't count on it though). The e-dimensional site claims their driver works with lcd too but after my tries that's no go either. So: If you want to run shutterglasses you better stick to crt or get a stereocompatible dlp projector/tv. OBS!!! Not all dlp's handle stereo3d good either. Bring your computer and glasses to a salesman and ask for trying. :D
gozne
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gozne »

Can't wait then to those iz3d drivers, although...
How can I bre sure it's going to work in my particular scenario?

I wouldn't pay 50$ or whatever it's going to be without being 100% sure. At the moment I really regret having bought the E-D edimensional glasses.

Hopefully some sort of freeware/trial version of the drivers will be released. Anyone has info about this? Maybe it's somewhere in the forum already, but I haven't found it.

Since the drivers are released, I'd like to try the anaglyph but I came up with one more question:
Will the old nvidia stereo drivers work in anaglyph mode with my 8800GT?

Thanks for the answers.
Last edited by gozne on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

gozne wrote: Since the drivers are released, I'd like to try the anaglyph but I came up with one more question:
they might or they might not. In any case why use old drivers when you have a perfectly good new iz3d drivers ( 1.08 ) which already do anaglyph for free.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
The_Doctor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by The_Doctor »

BlackQ said all driver options (shutters, interlaced, whatever) will have 30 days free try it out period.

The old nvidia stereo drivers won't work with your 8800GT, only with 8800GTX with some messing around. The new vista only drivers will work.

gozne wrote:Can't wait then to those iz3d drivers, although...
How can I bre sure it's going to work in my particular scenario?

I wouldn't 50$ or whatever it's going to be without being 100% sure. At the moment I really regtrt having bought the E-D edimensional glasses.

Hopefully some sort of freeware/trial version of the drivers will be released. Anyone has info about this? Maybe it's somewhere in the forum already, but I haven't found it.

Since the drivers are released, I'd like to try the anaglyph but I came up with one more question:

Thanks for the answers.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Hi gozne welcome to the forum!

It might be me you were refering to having a similar setup the the 8800gt.

The bad news is no, i still have no real s3d to speak of aside from anaglyph using the 1.08 IZ3d driver which i could never use for more than experimentation becuase of the ghosting. In the mean time i bought a viewsonic 28inch lcd for my main display further narrowing my options. Now i have a new conundrum, i think the shader or memorey chips on my 8800gt are fried, shadows in crysis are glitched and i get total crash in 3dmark06 deep freeze test.

So i am at the threshold of buying a new video card- do i buy another nvidia in light of there recent new shutter glass/lcd demo? Or do i go for the best deal )imho) the hd4870?

I am considering buyinjg a sharp xr-10x projector as recommended by someone on the forum for use with shutters as there is a fleebay vendor selling them locally for around $500.

ps- i aslo just bought some cheapo shutter glasses from fleebay (havent arrived yet) so maybe i will play around with my old crt if the iz3d 1.09 driver delivers.
gozne
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gozne »

Hi everyone!

Okta, it was Okta, not Okto, sorry! :) Yes, it was you I was referring to.
Okta wrote:i still have no real s3d to speak of aside from anaglyph using the 1.08 IZ3d driver which i could never use for more than experimentation becuase of the ghosting.
Sorry I don't really understand yet the technical terminology. When you say "ghosting" What do you mean?. I guess is some sort of irreal rendering, but I always asumed this would happen in this kind of cheap stereoscopy. Or maybe I'm wrong and ir really causes some sort of nausea or stuff...
yuriythebest1 wrote:they might or they might not. In any case why use old drivers when you have a perfectly good new iz3d drivers ( 1.08 ) which already do anaglyph for free.
yuriythebest1, thanks for the answer. Actually I meant the iz3d drivers instead of the nvidia ones. So, version 1.08 do anaglyph for free? cool. I'll try it out.
The_Doctor wrote:BlackQ said all driver options (shutters, interlaced, whatever) will have 30 days free try it out period.
Good to know that there will be a trial period. Thanks Doc.
Intel QuadCore Q6600 - 4GB DDR2-800 SDRAM - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB) - Dell 2407WFP 24" LCD - Phillips 109B6 [19" CRT] - XP32Bit Pro SP2 - FW 173.68 - E-D edimensional shutterglasses
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

The left eye is supposed to see only the picture meant for the left eye and the right eye is supposed to see only the picture meant for the right eye. If the left eye sees a bit of the picture meant for the right eye and the right eye see a bit of the picture meant for the left eye, we call it ghosting.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

gozne
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gozne »

Thanks Tril
Intel QuadCore Q6600 - 4GB DDR2-800 SDRAM - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB) - Dell 2407WFP 24" LCD - Phillips 109B6 [19" CRT] - XP32Bit Pro SP2 - FW 173.68 - E-D edimensional shutterglasses
gozne
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gozne »

I've tried the new drivers (1.9 BETA), and I havent got any positive results. I don't really know what I'm doing wrong, but I tried shutter, S3Dshutter (Marked and simple) and interlaced (horizontal and vertical) options, but none worked for me.

As the edimensional glasses were not working, I checked someone in the iz3d formus posted he was using the edimensional activator, and I have tried it, and managed to activate it and set it up in pageflip mode, but still looks it's not synchronized with my CRT screen.

I have no idea what is the MarkingSpec.xml file for? should I use it somehow?
shonofear
Cross Eyed!

Post by shonofear »

@gozne

hey mate,
to get Interlaced working I seemed to have a few problems here and there with the ED.exe prog
sumtimes not activating my glasses or jut not loading sum times.
But the procedure I did was... (u prob already tried this...but anyway)

1. Choose Interlaced output in iz3d console and apply it,
2. Then go to the help panel and click dynamic test, this should show if its rendering in interlaced mode.
(Now at this point your glasses wont be doing anything, thats where the ED.exe little program comes into play)
3. Run ED.exe, right click it and choose Interlaced, then choose 'Stereo Normal'
and wa la
Interlaced rendering,
Maybe do a fresh restart if the ED is not working, not sure if certain NV drivers play any role in it working or not
Im using NV 175 drivers
putting in high resolution in this mode makes it a lot better when gaming
waiting patiently......
gozne
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gozne »

Hey shonofear.

I managed to see the iz3d flying logo thanks to your directions. No game worked so far though, but i consider it a massive success, because it is actually the first time i use my edimensional shutterglasses.

I tried FEAR Combat and rainbow six vegas, and neither one nor the other worked.

Just in case someone tries this too, you typed this:
"3. Run ED.exe, right click it and choose Interlaced, then choose 'Stereo Normal' "

When it should be:
3. Run ED.exe, right click it and choose Interleaved, then choose 'Stereo Normal'

Or at least is what my ED Software says.

Cheers matey!!!
shonofear
Cross Eyed!

Post by shonofear »

no probs bro,
thanks for the correction ;)
Ive really only tried Counter Strike Source and works fine.
My Vid card cant handle 1600x1200 with stereo though,
good results at 1280x1024x100hz
Yew
waiting patiently......

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”