Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs available for pre-purchase

jeremyc9
One Eyed Hopeful

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs available for pre-purchase

Post by jeremyc9 »

I just saw on PC Gamer that the new Amnesia will be released Sept. 10th, and is available now for pre-purchase on Steam and GOG for 20% off. I'm sure this game will get Rift support eventually, one way or another.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/23920 ... 1_7_15__13
http://www.gog.com/game/amnesia_a_machine_for_pigs

Article: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/16/amnes ... ease-date/
norgoth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs available for pre-purchase

Post by norgoth »

i don t know why but the creator of the game is against the rift
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

norgoth wrote:i don t know why but the creator of the game is against the rift
No he isn't (who are you talking about?).

Thomas Grip, of Frictional Games, tried the Rift and liked it, and tweeted that he found it better than he was expecting. He said that "it would be very hard to make Amnesia support in a good way. Unlikely we will do it." due to controls & ui issues, but that "Would be awesome to use the rift for a specially made mini experience at an event. Already got an idea could be immensely disturbing." This would be for Frictional's next game, yet to be announced (their 'Super Secret Project').
https://twitter.com/ThomasGrip/status/3 ... 7305942017
(look at his tweets around that date for more info)

I assume you're talking about Dan Pinchbeck, of TheChineseRoom, who said in a modestly recent interview that 3D etc shouldn't be a driving force for design, and that he isn't immediately drawn to that kind of tech because he hasn't had a good experience with it so far. "I think my basic take on it is that I don’t think there’s been a case yet where 3D has made a bad film good, or a good film great." That doesn't mean he's "against the Rift", but simply that the focus should be on making the game itself good as the priority. This is a superb example of why it is important to learn how to parse away media spin: note that any mention of "gimmicks" were inserted by the article author, and were not quotes at all. I'm hopefully demoing my Rift to them soon, and he certainly hasn't been fighting me off.
Last edited by TheHolyChicken on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
norgoth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by norgoth »

yes holychicken, you re right . it was about this article. and after searching the old post about it you re right again, this is the blogger who doing a controversial article.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Back on topic then - Pigs is OpenGL-based, and it doesn't appear at the moment that Pigs is likely to get Rift support, so I don't think we'll be playing it in our Rifts any time soon (it might be the best, for all our sakes, to be honest!). Frictional may do something wih the tech in the future, though- we can keep our fingers crossed.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

There is no problem with using OpenGL with Rift enabled games. The Mac/Linux Tuscany demos use OpenGL.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

cybereality wrote:There is no problem with using OpenGL with Rift enabled games. The Mac/Linux Tuscany demos use OpenGL.
Yes - I just meant that Frictional aren't adding native support, and Tridef/VorpX etc don't work with OpenGL. There's no problem whatsoever with OpenGL, but it requires Frictional's participation.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Ah, yes. That makes sense now.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Thats reason i advocate middleware,So you won't endup at developers discretion.

Lot has been said about compatiblity and adverse effect of middlewares but you can get near best results after little workaround and sacrificing incomatible effects like dynacmic shadows etc. Now compare this with no 3d/VR Output at all and you will get my point. Again not saying there shouldn't be native 3D/VR output game as thats BEST YOU CAN GET, but what if its not there?

One quick question here as most of mobile games are OpenGL and there is middleware for LG OPTIMUS 3D
Why no middleware support OpenGL in PC?
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

Because not everyone is well informed or has the required knowledge and skills for it.
Even many owners of the DevKit seem to have problems to get made for VR stuff running (which is really simple in most cases).

Imagine a consumer trying Skyrim with Tridef for the first time. He has to do some configurating to get some decent results.
Even with that he likely will get queasy, because of the additional lag. In many cases an average consumer would try it, won't
use the settings, get horrible results because of wrong IPD and not usable menus, notice a horrible performance drop and get VR sick.
After that he would think VR sucks and return his Rift and tell everyone how bad it is.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Valez wrote:Because not everyone is well informed or has the required knowledge and skills for it.
Do you mean using middleware? I am agree if you are talking about EXPERIMENTAL BETA stage of middlewares like VIEREIO and TRIDEF EXPRIMENTAL OCULUS RIFT SUPPORT plug-in,Which is now.

Have you ever used Tridef Ignition for 3D monitors, its polished middleware and 90% of AAA games released atleast 3 month prior today are working just out of box without any kind of tinkering, when you upgraded to latest version of Tridef and your GPU Drivers.All you have to do is lauch ignition software, select your favourite installed game from its list to launch and seat back to enjoy the ride.

When some thing is in EXPRIMENTAL BETA that means developer is in very very early development stage and releasing only for those who knows how to tweak it around and submit the bugs or anomalies found by them so that FINAL VERSION can be impoved.

I am sure final versions of VIEREIO and TRIDEF FOR OCULUS RIFT will be mindblowing. i love that i will not need developer to be agree to re open and update their game with SDK to allow me to play my favourite game in VR.

Things improve over time and there is learning curve to every thing.
Valez wrote:In many cases an average consumer would try it, won't
I seriously doubt in initial year or two it used by any "average consumer". It will take long time before any average consumer will plan to invest in it. by the time middleware will be mature enough that it won't require much workarounds.

It requires little above comman knowledge, but such things mostly come with detailed "INSTRUCTION MANNUAL" and there is "ONLINE SUPPORT" and "FORUMS" too. So it will trigger enthusiasm to learn something new in users which is highly appritiable.

You can choose not to go for software if you found it unfit but that should not be the reason to blame device.

May be oculus can print on consumer RIFT's box "ONLY NATIVE VR CONTENT USE ADVISED,USE MIDDLEWARES AT YOUR OWN RISK" :twisted:
Can solve your concern.....;)

May be it will trigger more intrest in middlewares like "We tell you not to go there,that means some thing is there you may be intrested to checkout "

it can work like "STITUTORY WORINING"on Cigrarette Pack all smokers read it, and they anyway Smoke.

This will free OCULUS from MORAL RESPONSIBLEITY to WARN newbees against possible dangers of MIDDLEWAREs DARK PATH.

Return to “Oculus VR”