DEAR ESTHER on the latest drivers = fantastic but...

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

DEAR ESTHER on the latest drivers = fantastic but...

Post by Mattijs »

I've started playing dear esther yesterday...couldn't get it to work well on the old drivers because i was struggling to get opentrack with mouselook to play nice.
The new drivers have oculus tracking and with mouse sensitivity turned down it comes close to opentrack quality tracking...but not if you suddenly jerk your head to one side...I don't think it uses a lot of samples from the tracker or it might just not be very consistent...i don't know...In DEAR Esther you're not really forced to go in guns blazing trying to look everywhere at once...It didn't distrub me that much.

It's much easier with the latest drivers even though many people insist they are broken???

I have the feeling the convergence doesn't react to f5 etc..but the seperation clearly still does work and reacts to f2 and f3. It just takes a LOT of pressing either key to see the result.

The only problem i have is that i'm way to close to the ground...I've managed to get things to look the right size and have very good depth....but for some reason the character seems like a midget.
I know seperation also does that to some extent (make you look like a giant etc...) but here i can get everything working/looking perfectly but when i look straight at a door...i'm clearly only as tall as 1/2 door...

Is there a command for the console to get the character to be taller?
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Re: DEAR ESTHER on the latest drivers = fantastic but...

Post by Valez »

Regarding the head jerking:

try the new version of the Steroficator Fork from Chris, he already fixed this bug.
http://www.chrisdrain.com/hmd-stereoificator/

Regarding the door size:
It's just not scaled properly, nothing any driver could do there.

Regarding convergence:
You don't need to adjust it anymore, and you can't adjust it anymore.
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

Mattijs wrote: It's much easier with the latest drivers even though many people insist they are broken???
They are not broken, they are just only working with Source und Unreal for the moment.
And you may have some HUD issues, depending on the game.
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

Super! Thanks...I'll try to see if i can get the camera at non-midget height through some camera console thingie.
BTW all these versions and the forking make me dizzy....not that i have anything to complain about...i'm not contributor so...yeah....still is confusing.

The last official version of vireio does work with dirt though so ...that's neither source or unreal...has that compatibility been lost too?
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

DiRT uses Codemasters' own EGO game engine, and yes support for that is termporarily gone. If you wish to play Codemasters racing titles just use it with the older version of Virieo for now. The work in the new version is very important, but unfortunately has to throw away a lot of the tricks used to support some of the titles until they are reworked for the new stereo rendering mechanism.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”