Force dx9 mode in Mirror's Edge?

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
RED
One Eyed Hopeful

Force dx9 mode in Mirror's Edge?

Post by RED »

Hey Cyber,

Thanks for spending the time on this driver, It's been fun testing and getting some games ready for the dev kit arrival :D , however... I'm not sure how to get Mirror's Edge to show anything but black screens during gameplay. It is splitting and warping the image properly in menus and cut scenes. But when any 3d part of the game loads, It just shows up black (with a small bit of very dim lens flare showing through) I'm not sure how to force dx9 mode in this game to test if that may be the cause. (I'm guessing it is.)

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: This is a steam game for me, and I have the dx9 dll in the game directory and am running both the game, and VP as admin per your instructions. (Win 7, Nvidia 560ti)
RED
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Force dx9 mode in Mirror's Edge?

Post by RED »

OK... Strangely enough It is now working. I have all of the .dll files AND the VP .exe in my game binaries folder now. (just dumped it all in there) and ran VP+Mirror's Edge. I bumped the graphics of the game down to the medium setting because I had heard at the highest setting it will use > dx9. I loaded a savegame and no dice. I closed the game. Simultaneously I closed VP and ran the game again to change the settings back to highest (I had given up at this point and just wanted to play the friggin game) Restarting the game must have allowed the new video settings to be loaded and the game runs great. But remember I'd closed VP already......And didn't reload it this time. So I was very surprised to see the game running in stereo3d perfectly without VP running. Not sure what explanation there is for this. A quick Ctrl+Alt+Del shows no VP running under processes. I'm confused, but happy the game is working. :)

I hope anyone having trouble with Mirror's Edge can somehow decode my rambling and have a working game out of the deal. :lol:
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Interesting. Glad you finally got it working (and sorry for my hacky software).

The reason it can work without the app running is that the D3D9.DLL does all the work (the exe is just used to load the DLL, and also some other stuff for specific games). So that makes sense.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

cybereality wrote:Interesting. Glad you finally got it working (and sorry for my hacky software).

The reason it can work without the app running is that the D3D9.DLL does all the work (the exe is just used to load the DLL, and also some other stuff for specific games). So that makes sense.
cyberreality,
I have the same problem. I'm on beta 6 and already got the dlls in Mirror's edge folder. I also set the graphics to medium, turned on and off physics and nothing but a black screen. Anything I haven't tried yet?

Thanks
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

Mirrors edge is broken in beta 6.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Well, it didn't work either in 1.04. Which one should I use to test?

Edit: Nevermind. I used 1.01
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

The new beta 8 should work with Mirror's Edge.
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

Mirror's Edge is really not playable for me. It is running at 30 fps I am not sure why. The swap eye F6 is not really working.
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
taeralis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by taeralis »

Open "Documents\EA Games\Mirror's Edge\TdGame\Config\TdEngine.ini" and search for "MaxSmoothedFrameRate=", then change the value (probably 62) to 124 or above. The Unreal engine is counting both eyes' frames per second together toward what it thinks it's putting on the screen, and MaxSmoothedFrameRate is an FPS cap. Effectively, a cap of 62 won't let your actual FPS go above approximately 31.

Another option is to turn FPS smoothing off by setting bSmoothFrameRate to "false".

Return to “Development / General Discussion”