Can someone explain to me how to use this?

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Artikay
One Eyed Hopeful

Can someone explain to me how to use this?

Post by Artikay »

As if you were speaking to a child, if you wouldn't mind.

I'm not used to using console
Commands and the like. I've only tried it with portal 2 and Dear Esther.. My problem is I cant figure out how to get head tracking to work, or how to bring up this SHOCK system to set the 3D for my eyes. All I've managed to do is split my screen in two.

Sorry, I bought a Rift because it's a technology I really want to see get off the ground, but I'm reading instructions all around and it all goes over my head and/or assumes I have a level of PC know how that I just dont.

Thanks in advance.
TriOptimum
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Can someone explain to me how to use this?

Post by TriOptimum »

I can't even so much as get the drivers working, because I don't know where to put the files or how to use the program. I can't find installation or usage instructions anywhere.
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

Isn't there a wiki for this?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

There is a readme that should have been included. It explains some of the basics.

For a couple of games, all you need to do is open the app and then start the game (HL2, L4D and Dead Esther should work like this).

In other cases you will have to copy the DLL files from the bin folder into the game directory (usually next to the exe, or in a bin/binaries folder).

You may also have to start the app and the game as an administrator.
miahallen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miahallen »

I've tried DiRT2 & 3 and F1 2011 & 2012 and none of the four show any effect. The game starts and runs just like normal :?
The Rift demos are working fine and HL2 -vr works perfect...so I'm at a loss.

I tried running DiRT 2 in admin mode, but the game crashes on startup...

I'm out of time for now, I'll try more tomorrow night when I get off work.
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

miahallen wrote:I've tried DiRT2 & 3 and F1 2011 & 2012 and none of the four show any effect. The game starts and runs just like normal :?
The Rift demos are working fine and HL2 -vr works perfect...so I'm at a loss.

I tried running DiRT 2 in admin mode, but the game crashes on startup...

I'm out of time for now, I'll try more tomorrow night when I get off work.
For dirt 2 or 3 follow the instructions in the dirt 2/3 thread. Copy the dll's to the Dir containing the dirt .exe, make sure the hardware settings XML for dirt has force DX 9 = true, run open track, start it, recenter it with END key, start verio, then start dirt 2 or 3 from steam. Should be working then.

F1 2012 will not work, its a dx 10/11 only game and verio is dx9 only currently. I got F1 2010 working, F1 2011 should work, but I haven't tried it yet.
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by museumsteve »

lol..I feel like a child cos I cant get anything to work :D

I saw one chap on reddit got Euro Truck Sim 2 working just by putting 2 dll's in the bin folder of the game...didn't work for me :( I also tried Shift 2 which was another recently said to be working easily enough.

I'm trying those on a Windows 8 machine, should that matter?

Also if using steam games what do you put for the game.exe in the profile?

I have a whole evening free tomorrow so will put the time aside just to try and get to grips with this.
miahallen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miahallen »

I'm with you Steve...not working for me either. I made a video describing the issues last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNxJgEhyfH8

We are both using Fanatec wheels....hummm :?
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Tested this on both Dishonored and Left for Dead (#1)

I went through all of the Hot-Key combinations listed in the official 1.1.0 readme. When in the game, looking at the ingame environments and not at the menu, none of the Hot-Key commands seem to do anything.

Left for Dead:
Stereo works, was working with 1.0.5. The targets are in front of each pupil, not corrected. Names of players are the same, I see one per eye and not corrected. Going through all possible Hot-Key combinations listed did nothing

Dishonored:
Menu was seperated, ingame was seperated, nothing was in stereo. Everything was unique to each eye with no cross over.

Note: I am a total noob at Vireio Perception so please do not lay into me, just trying to add value into what I am seeing and trying to get this working.

Anyone else have feedback?
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

This is actually getting investigated. There is some important functionality that is missing from the drivers and we are working on getting it restored.

Regards,
Neil
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Thank you Neil, it looked quite a bit off from where it was.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

miahallen wrote:I'm with you Steve...not working for me either. I made a video describing the issues last night.

I have 2 PCs I use, my race rig is Widows 7 x64 and in a dedicated room but because of the seat etc, I dont always want to use it so I have a windows 8 machine in the front room with my 'cool' stuff on :D

I mainly try the windows 8 machine just because it's easier for me. I put steam on both machines so i have access to everything easily.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

Last night, I grabbed Vireio 1.1, unzipped into it's own folder.

I copied 2 DLLs from Vireio folder and put into BIN folder of Euro Truck Sim 2.

Ran the game and no change, no rift and no split screen on monitor

I then launched Vireio and left it running

Ran game and no change

I copied 2 DLLs to Shift2 directory, changed a profile in Vireio to show shift2 exe, game mode 10

Ran Shift 2 without running Vireio, nothing changed

Ran Vireio and then Shift 2, nothing changed.

I have a free night tonight so may dedicate all evening to this ;)

Does it matter where the Vireio is put? I will double check it's in the same drive as my downloads are C drive and games are D drive.

EDIT (just watched you vid)
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

museumsteve wrote:
miahallen wrote:I'm with you Steve...not working for me either. I made a video describing the issues last night.

I have 2 PCs I use, my race rig is Widows 7 x64 and in a dedicated room but because of the seat etc, I dont always want to use it so I have a windows 8 machine in the front room with my 'cool' stuff on :D

I mainly try the windows 8 machine just because it's easier for me. I put steam on both machines so i have access to everything easily.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

Last night, I grabbed Vireio 1.1, unzipped into it's own folder.

I copied 2 DLLs from Vireio folder and put into BIN folder of Euro Truck Sim 2.

Ran the game and no change, no rift and no split screen on monitor

I then launched Vireio and left it running

Ran game and no change

I copied 2 DLLs to Shift2 directory, changed a profile in Vireio to show shift2 exe, game mode 10

Ran Shift 2 without running Vireio, nothing changed

Ran Vireio and then Shift 2, nothing changed.

I have a free night tonight so may dedicate all evening to this ;)

Does it matter where the Vireio is put? I will double check it's in the same drive as my downloads are C drive and games are D drive.

EDIT (just watched you vid)
I dont know if this will help you, it might get you further troubleshooting, i dont have Windows 8 but i doubt its changed as its been the same since XP and probably Win 95/98/ME

Verio works just like a DX9 injector, basically when you launch anything( not just games ) that needs a .dll file what Windows OS does first is search the local dir that a launched .exe exists in for the specific .dll, failing that it will search for the .dll in all the directories defined by the %PATH% variable( or just called Path if you open Control Panel/System/All System Settings and click on the "Environment Variables" button, youll see all the directories used to search for .dlls in the System Variables section of the Environment Variables window )

So basically what is happening with Verio is instead of a game using the regular directX 9 file called d3d9.dll which exists in C:\Windows\System32, if you copy the Verio dll d3d9.dll to the game folder with the .exe file in it it will bind to the Verio d3d9.dll file because thats in the local directory which it searches first rather than C:\Windows\System32.
Then when the verio d3d9.dll is in a game folder with the .exe and the .exe for the game is launched , all calls to DirectX 9 are intercepted by the Verio dll to do its magic. Loads of directX "hacks" do this like the ENBSeries mod, SweetFX, SoftTH

Generally some games have their own version of d3d9.dll in game folders if for some reason theres an issue with the latest version of DirectX with that game and thats basically why the mechanism exists.

( im basing this on Windows 7 so might be slightly different in Windows 8 ). So in your case if you put the .dll files in the game folder with the .exe and it doesnt work then theres only 2 reasons i can think of and both are permissions related.
1. Run the game as with Administrator rights( Right click game .exe, Select Properties, select Compatibility tab and tick the "Run this program as administrator" checkbox and try the game.
2. Right click the verio d3d9.dll in the games folder( in fact do it for the 3 dll's and make sure in the security tab that Administrators has "Read" access.

Just to double check you're also sure that you have the Verio.exe launched( with "Oculus Rift" and "No Tracking" selected ) before you launch the game?

Technically if you put the 3 Verio .dlls in the System32 folder it HAS to work( but all games will end up using verio for DX9 calls ) - DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT BACKING UP d3d9.dll IN System32 FIRST
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Thanks for taking the time to write that mate :) I will start from scratch tonight. I was going to start tackling it last night but decided to sit and watch a whole movie using vrcinema and it was great 8-)
miahallen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miahallen »

Well, I tried the older Vireio drivers today and they seem to work fine....I've gotten DiRT2/3 and iRacing, as well as EuroTruck Simulator 2 working pretty decent.

Still can't figure out what's wrong with the newer drivers, but the old ones seem fine for me 8-)
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Version 1.04?

:)
miahallen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miahallen »

museumsteve wrote:Version 1.04?

:)
Darrrr..... :oops:

This one: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/download/file.php?id=2721 ;)
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

museumsteve wrote:Thanks for taking the time to write that mate :) I will start from scratch tonight. I was going to start tackling it last night but decided to sit and watch a whole movie using vrcinema and it was great 8-)
No problem at all, yeah try the older 1.5 beta, that's what I was using for dirt 3, I haven't tried the latest driver on dirt 3 but I imagine it works as f1 2010 works albeit requires a lot more work to get running.
dredmama
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dredmama »

I can't make these drivers to work. All games crash on load. I used old Vireio drivers: the same result. Does Vireio drivers have any logging tool? I have no idea how to find the problem.

I use Windows 7 laptop. Perhaps problem is that I have 2 video cards (one motherboard integrated, the other one is nVidea i use for games).

Does anybody who had crashes on game load solved the problem?
dredmama
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dredmama »

AT LAST!

Using some Voodoo magic and dark rituals I found out the problem. Vireio will crash the game if you run Perception.exe from path with non-latin chars.

I use russian Windows 7 and I downloaded Vireio to default downloads. Unfortunately downloads folder path contains my username. My username is сyrillic. That's why everuthing crashed all the time.
miahallen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by miahallen »

nice work dredmama :)

Return to “Development / General Discussion”