Crysis Stereoscopic 3D Review

Post your comments about official MTBS game reviews here.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

By Neil Schneider

Crysis, Crytek’s flagship product, is the motivation for PC hardware upgrades all over the world and could be the most hyped DirectX 10 game of them all. However, Crysis has a special place in MTBS members’ hearts because Crytek developed Far Cry, a game regularly toasted for its stereoscopic 3D (S-3D) gaming success. Does Crysis add up to the hype in the S-3D world? Let’s find out!

[*] Crysis General Game Review
[*] Crysis Stereoscopic 3D Introduction
[*] iZ3D S-3D Findings
[*] NVIDIA S-3D Findings
[*] Conclusion

[/url]
Crysis General Game Review

The first part of a trilogy, Crysis is a science fiction first person shooter that takes place on the Shinghan Islands in the Philippines Sea in the year 2020. A team of archaeologists have been captured by the North Korean Army, and you are sent in as a member of the United States Army Delta Force to rescue them and figure out what is going on.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

Landing at night with the sun about the break over the horizon, the island is a deceiving paradise filled with an endless supply of palm trees, beaches, and colorful tropical fauna. Equipped with a Nano Muscle Suit, you are augmented with super human abilities. The default mode gives you maximum armor, and lets you absorb more damage and regenerate your health faster. For tough spots, you can have “maximum speed” for bursts of road runner velocities, “maximum strength” to hurl your enemies and objects all over the place, and a personal cloak that renders yourself invisible for a short time.

What makes the game work most is its huge outdoor landscapes that make Crysis seem less a series of levels and more an interactive and dynamic environment for you to explore. Deep tropical forests and North Korean army camps offer suspenseful entertainment to keep you interested. Unfortunately, it also suffers from too much of the same thing. Far Cry had an equal mix of indoor and outdoor environments, and throughout this game, I felt longing for more indoor experiences.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

However, what Crysis lacks in more dynamic environments, it makes up for in destruction! Nearly everything can be smashed into pieces: trees that can get cut down with machinegun fire, throwing barrels at walls that crumble and cause buildings to collapse, and of course all the military stuff you get to blow up.

Your main enemy is the North Korean Army, and they are a sharp coordinated bunch in this game. For me, I found the difficulty to be too much too soon even on the first level. I’m a pretty good player, and I had to set the game to the easiest level to get through it! Be watchful because they have powerful weapons and know how to use them. A little trick I learned is that you can go into a trailer-type bunker that is mostly impervious to attack and pick your enemies off one by one as they try to get in.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

How do you take your enemies out? With toys, of course! Sample weapons include pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, grenades and rocket launchers, and a few more surprises. As you advance through the game, you will be able to enhance your selected weapon with special scopes and secondary options to make them more effective.

If you run out of ammo, don’t worry! You can pick up a trusty barrel, crate, or piece of junk lying around and throw it at your unsuspecting victim. If you want to be a little more daring, get close enough and grab your victim by the collar and throw him somewhere…maybe at another enemy?

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

Similar to the Far Cry game, you get to drive an assortment of vehicles too. Gun toting Jeeps and boats mainly, but you will get to ride a tank and fancy shmancy helicopter later in the game.

What is the secret of the island that the North Korean Army is so interested in? I won’t spoil it for you. However, similar to other reviewers, I have to agree that the ending was a disappointment. The story and graphics worked, but the very last segment came across more as a rushed cop-out to get the title on the shelves than an equally interwoven part of the story.

Crysis has a multiplayer component as well. You have a choice of playing a traditional death match, or a more complex power struggle mode where two factions have to try and capture parts of the island and acquire new alien technology or nuclear power. According to Wikipedia, the power struggle matches can last as long as ten hours! I couldn’t really get into the multiplayer that much, but the graphics are equally impressive in both single and multiplayer modes for those that are interested.

[/url]
Crysis Stereoscopic 3D Introduction

Now! The moment you have all been waiting for! How is Crysis in stereoscopic 3D?

Well, it depends. There are two stereoscopic 3D driver camps. iZ3D LLC and the modern 177.83 stereoscopic 3D drivers by NVIDIA.

AMD has been kind enough to supply some hardware so MTBS can improve its testing equipment. The iZ3D LLC system specs include:

AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition Quad Core Processor 2.5Ghz
Patriot Extreme Viper PC2-8500 4GB RAM
AMD 4850 GPU
Vista 32 Bit
iZ3D 22” Monitor

The NVIDIA camp is based on the follow specifications:

AMD Athlon 64X2 AM2, 4400+ 2.3Ghz
PC2-5300 4GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800GTS 512
Vista 32 Bit
Interlaced 22” Monitor

Let me say that the hardware is not an equal match-up hands down. So we won’t be unfairly criticizing the performance here. However, Crysis maxes out with two cores, RAM has not been demonstrated to add a significant performance benefit in gaming, and the monitor is interlaced which means it only renders 50% of the image to each eye, so S-3D should only add a marginal hit to performance.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

[/url]
iZ3D S-3D Findings

First, we tested with the 1.08 iZ3D drivers which are strictly DirectX 9 based. The reason this review is taking a much more head to head approach between AMD and NVIDIA is because the iZ3D drivers and Crysis seem to only work well with AMD cards! We will have to wait and see how the upcoming 1.09 iZ3D driver plays out, but if you are an NVIDIA GPU owner, you have greatly reduced chances in getting this title to work on iZ3D drivers.

There is a ray of hope, though. I was able to play with an 8800GTS 512 with the iZ3D drivers when I ran on earlier equipment based on an ASUS A8N SLI-SE Socket 939 Motherboard on an AMD 4600+ X2 CPU. The moment I upgraded – BOOM! No more NVIDIA support in Crysis. I’m guessing it’s something to do with how the CPU and GPU interact via the motherboard that made the difference.

Regardless, when it did work, the game was playable with overall medium settings in 1440 X 900 resolution. Make sure you have shadows set to “LOW” or you will have visual problems no matter what GPU you are using.

Once I plugged an AMD card in, everything worked no problem. If you are running a 3870 GPU, you can play the game with medium settings. If you have a 3870X2 or CrossFireX setup, expect it to behave like a single 3870 in Crysis because the iZ3D drivers have to be optimized for CrossFireX performance benefits.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

However, if you want to really see what this game is capable of, get yourself an AMD 4850 GPU. This baby rocks Crysis in S-3D with the iZ3D drivers and it’s dirt cheap compared to the GPUs we’ve been spending top dollar for up to now. I’m able to play at 1680X1050 with ALL settings on maximum with the exception of shadows. The only caveat is the iZ3D drivers do not support anti-aliasing with the AMD GPUs, but you wouldn’t have noticed unless I told you.

Crysis is a stellar success in stereoscopic 3D using the iZ3D drivers. You have complete flexibility for depth and pop-out effects, and there is nothing like running through the forests and having the foliage pierce the screen’s glass. As mentioned before, most of the game takes place outdoors, and when you do finally get to the indoor levels that I won’t describe here, you appreciate the S-3D experience that much more.

The guns and scopes are rendered very well because they don’t double inappropriately, the cross-hair is accurate, and I just can’t come up with anything that strikes me as being poorly rendered with the occasional reflection anomaly on the water surfaces found on beaches.

When I was running the 3870 GPUs, I did notice some speckled dots here and there that shouldn’t be on the screen, but this completely went away with the 4850 GPU, and I’d bet the upcoming 1.09 driver will fix this if indeed it was a driver problem.

Here is a bit of a twist for you. Normally, the iZ3D drivers perform at 50% or better performance efficiency compared to 2D gaming because two unique images need to be rendered to the screen at one time. Crysis was performing at no more than 35% to 40% efficiency with the iZ3D drivers on all tested GPUs. I’m surprised I was able to play the game in S-3D at such a low efficiency rating without realizing it until later.

However, I’m told 1.09 has been further optimized and Crysis will display a significant performance improvement. It will be interesting to see how performance improves for the 3870 GPUs as well.

Finally, if you plan on playing multiplayer Crysis, you will have to stick with non-PunkBuster servers because they falsely declare iZ3D drivers as a cheat.

[/url]
NVIDIA S-3D Findings

The NVIDIA side has the advantage of being both DirectX 9 and 10 compatible. Unlike the iZ3D/AMD driver option, you can also play the game with anti-aliasing on with the current NVIDIA S-3D drivers. The drivers also feature a dynamic game crosshair that self adjusts according to what you are aiming at and your character’s distance from the object. If you want to play multiplayer, the NVIDIA drivers are PunkBuster compatible. However, I’m afraid that this is where the advantages end.

Let me begin by saying that Crysis on the NVIDIA drivers is not representative of what their solution is capable of. I’m only discussing it here because they recognize the game in their driver profile.

To get the game to run, you have to reduce the shadows setting to “LOW”, reduce the shaders and post processing effects to “MEDIUM” or lower, and turn the blur effects completely off.

If you want to achieve a combined depth and pop-out experience, you won’t find it here because the NVIDIA stereoscopic 3D experience is riddled with anomalies. The guns render well, but the scopes are all way off the mark with uncomfortable separation. There is a discolored outline around the trees when the background is the surrounding water, and when you look in the distance, the left/right polarity will reverse itself!

At best, you can work for a depth only experience, but remaining sore thumb elements include fire, light, and smoke effects that are rendered in mono or at screen depth instead of the same locations as the objects they are attached to. This just didn’t work for me.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

I’m certain the NVIDIA drivers are capable of more on the performance front too. In DX 10 mode, the NVIDIA drivers perform at 61% efficiency compared to 2D mode, and in DX 9, they increase slightly to 68%. On the surface, this sounds great – but if you figure that the images are interlaced and represent the same amount of data as a traditional 2D image, this is very disappointing.

That said, it would be inappropriate for me to give it a score with all its game specific caveats, and will give it a TBD rating until further notice. With NVIDIA back on its game in the S-3D world, I’m confident we will see further improvements. If fellow modern NVIDIA users are getting better results than me, please post them in the related forum thread so we can compare settings and results. When future updates or findings rectify these issues, we will be happy to upgrade our rating.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

[/url]
Conclusion

Crysis is a must have stereoscopic 3D gaming experience if you have the right mix of hardware and software to run it. We strongly recommend playing with an AMD 4850 or better GPU with the iZ3D driver solution for best results, though AMD 3870 GPUs should still give you a playable experience. There is also a possibility that your NVIDIA GPU will work with Crysis and the iZ3D drivers, but there is no way to accurately predict this.

Also, the Crysis Warhead expansion is expected this fall. What makes this add-on important is it has been optimized to work with more moderate performing GPU hardware, which should equally translate into a smoother S-3D experience.

Officially, the NVIDIA stereo drivers also support Crysis, but I don’t think this title is a good working sample of what their drivers are capable of - at least not yet.

Be sure to post your thoughts on this game and review HERE[/b]!

Game Play
8/10

Sound
8/10

Presentation
8.5/10

Immersive Nature
8.5/10

How Memorable Is This Game
8/10

Stereoscopic Effectiveness iZ3D
9.5/10

Stereoscopic Effectiveness NVIDIA
TBD

iZ3D Overall Rating:
8.42/10

NVIDIA Overall Rating:
TBD

Read full article...
PressBot

Post by PressBot »

By Neil Schneider

Crysis, Crytek’s flagship product, is the motivation for PC hardware upgrades all over the world and could be the most hyped DirectX 10 game of them all. However, Crysis has a special place in MTBS members’ hearts because Crytek developed Far Cry, a game regularly toasted for its stereoscopic 3D (S-3D) gaming success. Does Crysis add up to the hype in the S-3D world? Let’s find out!

[*] Crysis General Game Review
[*] Crysis Stereoscopic 3D Introduction
[*] iZ3D S-3D Findings
[*] NVIDIA S-3D Findings
[*] Conclusion

[/url]
Crysis General Game Review

The first part of a trilogy, Crysis is a science fiction first person shooter that takes place on the Shinghan Islands in the Philippines Sea in the year 2020. A team of archaeologists have been captured by the North Korean Army, and you are sent in as a member of the United States Army Delta Force to rescue them and figure out what is going on.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

Landing at night with the sun about the break over the horizon, the island is a deceiving paradise filled with an endless supply of palm trees, beaches, and colorful tropical fauna. Equipped with a Nano Muscle Suit, you are augmented with super human abilities. The default mode gives you maximum armor, and lets you absorb more damage and regenerate your health faster. For tough spots, you can have “maximum speed” for bursts of road runner velocities, “maximum strength” to hurl your enemies and objects all over the place, and a personal cloak that renders yourself invisible for a short time.

What makes the game work most is its huge outdoor landscapes that make Crysis seem less a series of levels and more an interactive and dynamic environment for you to explore. Deep tropical forests and North Korean army camps offer suspenseful entertainment to keep you interested. Unfortunately, it also suffers from too much of the same thing. Far Cry had an equal mix of indoor and outdoor environments, and throughout this game, I felt longing for more indoor experiences.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

However, what Crysis lacks in more dynamic environments, it makes up for in destruction! Nearly everything can be smashed into pieces: trees that can get cut down with machinegun fire, throwing barrels at walls that crumble and cause buildings to collapse, and of course all the military stuff you get to blow up.

Your main enemy is the North Korean Army, and they are a sharp coordinated bunch in this game. For me, I found the difficulty to be too much too soon even on the first level. I’m a pretty good player, and I had to set the game to the easiest level to get through it! Be watchful because they have powerful weapons and know how to use them. A little trick I learned is that you can go into a trailer-type bunker that is mostly impervious to attack and pick your enemies off one by one as they try to get in.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

How do you take your enemies out? With toys, of course! Sample weapons include pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, grenades and rocket launchers, and a few more surprises. As you advance through the game, you will be able to enhance your selected weapon with special scopes and secondary options to make them more effective.

If you run out of ammo, don’t worry! You can pick up a trusty barrel, crate, or piece of junk lying around and throw it at your unsuspecting victim. If you want to be a little more daring, get close enough and grab your victim by the collar and throw him somewhere…maybe at another enemy?

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

Similar to the Far Cry game, you get to drive an assortment of vehicles too. Gun toting Jeeps and boats mainly, but you will get to ride a tank and fancy shmancy helicopter later in the game.

What is the secret of the island that the North Korean Army is so interested in? I won’t spoil it for you. However, similar to other reviewers, I have to agree that the ending was a disappointment. The story and graphics worked, but the very last segment came across more as a rushed cop-out to get the title on the shelves than an equally interwoven part of the story.

Crysis has a multiplayer component as well. You have a choice of playing a traditional death match, or a more complex power struggle mode where two factions have to try and capture parts of the island and acquire new alien technology or nuclear power. According to Wikipedia, the power struggle matches can last as long as ten hours! I couldn’t really get into the multiplayer that much, but the graphics are equally impressive in both single and multiplayer modes for those that are interested.

[/url]
Crysis Stereoscopic 3D Introduction

Now! The moment you have all been waiting for! How is Crysis in stereoscopic 3D?

Well, it depends. There are two stereoscopic 3D driver camps. iZ3D LLC and the modern 177.83 stereoscopic 3D drivers by NVIDIA.

AMD has been kind enough to supply some hardware so MTBS can improve its testing equipment. The iZ3D LLC system specs include:

AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition Quad Core Processor 2.5Ghz
Patriot Extreme Viper PC2-8500 4GB RAM
AMD 4850 GPU
Vista 32 Bit
iZ3D 22” Monitor

The NVIDIA camp is based on the follow specifications:

AMD Athlon 64X2 AM2, 4400+ 2.3Ghz
PC2-5300 4GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800GTS 512
Vista 32 Bit
Interlaced 22” Monitor

Let me say that the hardware is not an equal match-up hands down. So we won’t be unfairly criticizing the performance here. However, Crysis maxes out with two cores, RAM has not been demonstrated to add a significant performance benefit in gaming, and the monitor is interlaced which means it only renders 50% of the image to each eye, so S-3D should only add a marginal hit to performance.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

[/url]
iZ3D S-3D Findings

First, we tested with the 1.08 iZ3D drivers which are strictly DirectX 9 based. The reason this review is taking a much more head to head approach between AMD and NVIDIA is because the iZ3D drivers and Crysis seem to only work well with AMD cards! We will have to wait and see how the upcoming 1.09 iZ3D driver plays out, but if you are an NVIDIA GPU owner, you have greatly reduced chances in getting this title to work on iZ3D drivers.

There is a ray of hope, though. I was able to play with an 8800GTS 512 with the iZ3D drivers when I ran on earlier equipment based on an ASUS A8N SLI-SE Socket 939 Motherboard on an AMD 4600+ X2 CPU. The moment I upgraded – BOOM! No more NVIDIA support in Crysis. I’m guessing it’s something to do with how the CPU and GPU interact via the motherboard that made the difference.

Regardless, when it did work, the game was playable with overall medium settings in 1440 X 900 resolution. Make sure you have shadows set to “LOW” or you will have visual problems no matter what GPU you are using.

Once I plugged an AMD card in, everything worked no problem. If you are running a 3870 GPU, you can play the game with medium settings. If you have a 3870X2 or CrossFireX setup, expect it to behave like a single 3870 in Crysis because the iZ3D drivers have to be optimized for CrossFireX performance benefits.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

However, if you want to really see what this game is capable of, get yourself an AMD 4850 GPU. This baby rocks Crysis in S-3D with the iZ3D drivers and it’s dirt cheap compared to the GPUs we’ve been spending top dollar for up to now. I’m able to play at 1680X1050 with ALL settings on maximum with the exception of shadows. The only caveat is the iZ3D drivers do not support anti-aliasing with the AMD GPUs, but you wouldn’t have noticed unless I told you.

Crysis is a stellar success in stereoscopic 3D using the iZ3D drivers. You have complete flexibility for depth and pop-out effects, and there is nothing like running through the forests and having the foliage pierce the screen’s glass. As mentioned before, most of the game takes place outdoors, and when you do finally get to the indoor levels that I won’t describe here, you appreciate the S-3D experience that much more.

The guns and scopes are rendered very well because they don’t double inappropriately, the cross-hair is accurate, and I just can’t come up with anything that strikes me as being poorly rendered with the occasional reflection anomaly on the water surfaces found on beaches.

When I was running the 3870 GPUs, I did notice some speckled dots here and there that shouldn’t be on the screen, but this completely went away with the 4850 GPU, and I’d bet the upcoming 1.09 driver will fix this if indeed it was a driver problem.

Here is a bit of a twist for you. Normally, the iZ3D drivers perform at 50% or better performance efficiency compared to 2D gaming because two unique images need to be rendered to the screen at one time. Crysis was performing at no more than 35% to 40% efficiency with the iZ3D drivers on all tested GPUs. I’m surprised I was able to play the game in S-3D at such a low efficiency rating without realizing it until later.

However, I’m told 1.09 has been further optimized and Crysis will display a significant performance improvement. It will be interesting to see how performance improves for the 3870 GPUs as well.

Finally, if you plan on playing multiplayer Crysis, you will have to stick with non-PunkBuster servers because they falsely declare iZ3D drivers as a cheat.

[/url]
NVIDIA S-3D Findings

The NVIDIA side has the advantage of being both DirectX 9 and 10 compatible. Unlike the iZ3D/AMD driver option, you can also play the game with anti-aliasing on with the current NVIDIA S-3D drivers. The drivers also feature a dynamic game crosshair that self adjusts according to what you are aiming at and your character’s distance from the object. If you want to play multiplayer, the NVIDIA drivers are PunkBuster compatible. However, I’m afraid that this is where the advantages end.

Let me begin by saying that Crysis on the NVIDIA drivers is not representative of what their solution is capable of. I’m only discussing it here because they recognize the game in their driver profile.

To get the game to run, you have to reduce the shadows setting to “LOW”, reduce the shaders and post processing effects to “MEDIUM” or lower, and turn the blur effects completely off.

If you want to achieve a combined depth and pop-out experience, you won’t find it here because the NVIDIA stereoscopic 3D experience is riddled with anomalies. The guns render well, but the scopes are all way off the mark with uncomfortable separation. There is a discolored outline around the trees when the background is the surrounding water, and when you look in the distance, the left/right polarity will reverse itself!

At best, you can work for a depth only experience, but remaining sore thumb elements include fire, light, and smoke effects that are rendered in mono or at screen depth instead of the same locations as the objects they are attached to. This just didn’t work for me.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

I’m certain the NVIDIA drivers are capable of more on the performance front too. In DX 10 mode, the NVIDIA drivers perform at 61% efficiency compared to 2D mode, and in DX 9, they increase slightly to 68%. On the surface, this sounds great – but if you figure that the images are interlaced and represent the same amount of data as a traditional 2D image, this is very disappointing.

That said, it would be inappropriate for me to give it a score with all its game specific caveats, and will give it a TBD rating until further notice. With NVIDIA back on its game in the S-3D world, I’m confident we will see further improvements. If fellow modern NVIDIA users are getting better results than me, please post them in the related forum thread so we can compare settings and results. When future updates or findings rectify these issues, we will be happy to upgrade our rating.

iZ3D LLC 1.08 Drivers

[/url]
Conclusion

Crysis is a must have stereoscopic 3D gaming experience if you have the right mix of hardware and software to run it. We strongly recommend playing with an AMD 4850 or better GPU with the iZ3D driver solution for best results, though AMD 3870 GPUs should still give you a playable experience. There is also a possibility that your NVIDIA GPU will work with Crysis and the iZ3D drivers, but there is no way to accurately predict this.

Also, the Crysis Warhead expansion is expected this fall. What makes this add-on important is it has been optimized to work with more moderate performing GPU hardware, which should equally translate into a smoother S-3D experience.

Officially, the NVIDIA stereo drivers also support Crysis, but I don’t think this title is a good working sample of what their drivers are capable of - at least not yet.

Be sure to post your thoughts on this game and review HERE[/b]!

Game Play
8/10

Sound
8/10

Presentation
8.5/10

Immersive Nature
8.5/10

How Memorable Is This Game
8/10

Stereoscopic Effectiveness iZ3D
9.5/10

Stereoscopic Effectiveness NVIDIA
TBD

iZ3D Overall Rating:
8.42/10

NVIDIA Overall Rating:
TBD

Read full article...
Neil

Post by Neil »

So - have you played Crysis in S-3D?

How is it? Did it bring your hardware down to its knees? What settings worked for you?

Have you tried it out with modern NVIDIA drivers? What settings worked best for you? Did you have the same results I did?

Regards,
Neil
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Sorry needed some time to work on all the new stuff lately...

I like the review. It shows the difference between the systems well. And you also mention the 'artefacts' that could be experienced with the older NV driver and Crysis. This showes the nearly non existent improvements with the NV driver...

And as always the IZ3D driver performes great - except the gun looks like it is at the wrong place :roll:

Am I the only one who read the review?
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Neil

Post by Neil »

I want to make it clear that it wasn't my intention to bash the NVIDIA driver. There are other titles that the NVIDIA driver works well with that I will report on later. The problems with Crysis are title specific.

I wouldn't have even given NVIDIA a section in this review, but their driver recognizes and lists Crysis as a supported title complete with recommended settings, so it would have reflected badly on MTBS to not include the segment.

Don't be surprised if NVIDIA puts out significant improvements with future releases.

Regards,
Neil
ignatius
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ignatius »

I would really like to play Crysis on my Samsung 56" 3D-ready DLP. I was curious which nvidia drivers are needed in order to play Crysis in 3D with a pair of shutter glasses. I've tried a number of drivers without any luck and the latest nvidia stereo drivers only support anaglyph :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Vic
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

You mean something like this:
BlackQ wrote:driver just left our lab and going to final test before beta release :-)
It is supposed to support SG and checkerboard. It should be your thing :D
ayqz1u0s

ignatius
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ignatius »

Hey Luke, that sounds pretty awesome. Sorry if i sound a bit out of the loop, but who will be releasing that driver? And when do you think we can expect it? If these drivers can work with the dlp tv's with a pair of shutter glasses....that'll be the best news i've heard in a while.

Cheers,
V

edit - While reading around through the forums, i found the answers to my questions. I'll be looking forward to iz3d's release hopefully some time this week.
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

Yep most important stuff is here:

http://mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1839&highlight=

on pages 1, 2 and the last ones I think.
BlackQ is head of IZ3D and his posts are most important :)
ayqz1u0s

ddorpm
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Crysis Stereoscopic 3D Review

Post by ddorpm »

"There is also a possibility that your NVIDIA GPU will work with Crysis and the iZ3D drivers, but there is no way to accurately predict this."

Somewhat perplexed on why you would say that. Crysis works fine for me running nVidia BFG 8800 GT OC with the latest Forceware on my iZ3D monitor utilizing 1.08 drivers in S-3D. Granted, I can only use medium settings but generally still average around 30 FPS with super-looking S-3D effects.

ddorpm
Neil

Post by Neil »

You are one of the luck ones!

For many (most), when you run Crysis on an NVIDIA GPU, the game will artificially drop down to a slide show. Even on iZ3D's site, Crysis is listed as a supported game, but only for AMD cards:

http://www.iz3d.com/t-supsupportedgames.aspx

Regards,
Neil
shonofear
Cross Eyed!

Post by shonofear »

yea I just got a fellow friend to try Crysis with his new 4870x2 ATI card
using iZ3d and was getting around 30fps at 1680x1050, no AA but rest all settings maxed using Anaglyph mode.
And was he impressed!
He actually made his first set of glasses in a matter of a few minutes using the good old cellophane :lol:
waiting patiently......
bustincapps
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bustincapps »

Hey guys!. Great review Niel. I too have been playing the early jungle levels in crysis with the iz3d and newest driver. I am using an 8800gts 320mb @1440x900 with everything on hight settings aside from textures at medium, shaders at medium and motion blur off. Mobo is a p5ne-sli for those of u out there with the iz3d and same hardware.
ignatius
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ignatius »

Hey guys,

Is there anyway someone can confirm if Crysis in 3D only works in a 32-bit(x86) windows OS?

This is the only game I have that i can't get to work in 3D with my current setup and I'm wondering if its due to the version of my windows. I'm considering installing an older windows version simply to play this game in 3D since this game is a LOT of fun! I should note that enabling anaglyph mode works perfectly fine but not in 3D-DLP mode.

I hope someone can help out here, thanks.

-Varinder
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I have Vista 64 bit. It works with the iZ3D driver version 1.09 beta 2 for me in interlaced mode. I use the exe in the Bin32 folder and I add -dx9 to make it start in DirectX 9 mode. This way I'm basically using the 32 bit version of Crysis. I don't know if it works using the exe in the Bin64 folder because I haven't tried recently.

Do you have a VR920? I'm asking because the software for the HMD installs a modified d3d9.dll DirectX dll in the game folder. You have to uninstall the software or remove the game from the profile and remove manually the dll if it's still there. I don't think that's your problem as it does not make much sense for now to install the VR920software in Vista 64 bit since the S-3D does not work yet for Vista 64 bit.

If you have the NVIDIA driver and the iZ3D driver installed at the same time it's probably better to uninstall one of them to be sure they do not interfere with each other.

A second beta was released yesterday. Try it if you are still using the beta released last week. If the problem only happens in 3D-DLP and it still happens in the beta 2, it might be a bug. Report it to iZ3D with as much detail as possible and it will probably get fixed fast.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

ignatius
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ignatius »

Tril, you are a genuis! Crysis finally works in 3D now. I never thought of using the bin32 files and when I did everything you told me to do. Crysis worked great in 3D. Thank you so much for your help!

At the moment, it doesn't run perfectly however. The 3D looks fantastic in this game, but there is a very wierd 'lighting' problem that I've run into so far. It frequently glitches on and off when the whole game suddenly goes incredibly BRIGHT! Wierd thing is...every time i go into 'cloak mode' it goes back to normal (not always though). Or, if I look into a certain direction the graphics and lighting go back to normal. But the second i start firing at people or I look into a certain direction, the lighting goes super bright again or it flashes on and off.

I turned all the settings to LOW and turned off motion blur completely and i still run into this issue. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem before and if there is a solution?

By the way Tril, when you mentioned to uninstall the NVIDIA drivers when using the iZ3D drivers. Did you mean to uninstall the NVIDIA 3D Stereo drivers or any Nvidia drivers?

Currently, i'm using Nvidia Forceware version 177.92 and the iZ3D 1.09 beta 2 drivers.

Cheers,
Varinder
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

ignatius wrote:Tril, you are a genuis! Crysis finally works in 3D now. I never thought of using the bin32 files and when I did everything you told me to do. Crysis worked great in 3D. Thank you so much for your help!

At the moment, it doesn't run perfectly however. The 3D looks fantastic in this game, but there is a very wierd 'lighting' problem that I've run into so far. It frequently glitches on and off when the whole game suddenly goes incredibly BRIGHT! Wierd thing is...every time i go into 'cloak mode' it goes back to normal (not always though). Or, if I look into a certain direction the graphics and lighting go back to normal. But the second i start firing at people or I look into a certain direction, the lighting goes super bright again or it flashes on and off.

I turned all the settings to LOW and turned off motion blur completely and i still run into this issue. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem before and if there is a solution?

By the way Tril, when you mentioned to uninstall the NVIDIA drivers when using the iZ3D drivers. Did you mean to uninstall the NVIDIA 3D Stereo drivers or any Nvidia drivers?

Currently, i'm using Nvidia Forceware version 177.92 and the iZ3D 1.09 beta 2 drivers.

Cheers,
Varinder
I've seen that superbright problem with the beta 2 when I did a quick test yesterday. Looks like another bug to report. For me, it only happened with some specific combinations of settings. I think I only saw it when I put everything on low. I did not test long enough to see if the problem would appear at other settings levels.

I meant the NVIDIA stereo drivers, in case the two stereo drivers were loaded at the same time by the game. If everything works fine, no need to uninstall anything.

I did notice that the gun is longer than it should be. If you stand close to a wall, it goes through the wall. I also noticed that the stars in the sky in the first level are closer than the sky. There's not much stereo drivers can do to fix these. It just show that not everything was rendered at the correct depth and with the same depth scale by the game makers.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

ignatius
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ignatius »

I've just been testing out different graphic settings and i seemed to have found the problem/solution with the "SuperBRIGHT!" issue. It seems that when you turn "Shaders" to LOW that's when the 'SuperBRIGHT" effect kicks in. But when you change this setting to HIGH everything looks just as great as it should. Hopefully iZ3D team can fix this small little issue.

I haven't played through the game properly yet, but I'm planning to tomorrow and I'll let you guys know if i run into anything new.

iZ3D keep up the good work, you guys are awesome!

-Varinder
neilthecellist
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neilthecellist »

I got S-3D to work on v1.08 (albeit with SHADOW QUALITY set to "low") and it was nice, pop-out effect was pretty good even on my $4.99 red/cyan glasses (lol... I'm saving money for the iZ3D)

I got S-3D to work on v1.09 but only for one game session**.

While it worked, I have to say: Crysis is beautiful in 3D. For the time that it worked on v1.09, I was able to run Crysis on High details with the DX9 cheap-tweak on (r_usepom = 1, q_renderer = 3, e_water_ocean_fft = 1, r_sunshafts = 1)

Believe me, when I say Crysis is beautiful in 3D, I really mean it. You really feel like you're IN THE GAME. You're in the game's WORLD. While it worked, I found myself reaching at the monitor for the lush plants that would literally bursting out of my monitor. I even tried to grab a North Korean with my left hand when he got so close because he was nearly popping out of my screen! (it sounds stupid to you right now, but believe me, when you're playing Crysis on 3D in full detail for the first time, you're going to do it too 8) )

Performance was incredible too. Granted, I'm on the GTX 260, the second highest card on the NVIDIA market right now, but still, the lowest FPS I was seeing on Stereo 3D was 28.9 FPS according to EVGA Precision. And the highest FPS in Stereo 3D for me was 55 FPS. I don't think I'm going to be complaining too much about performance.

Again, that was all on v1.09, when you could set Shadow Quality to HIGH. On v1.08, by setting Shadow Quality to LOW, I was getting a minimum FPS of 40. :D

The one regret I have is that I was unable to play it on the iZ3D monitor. I've heard that on the iZ3D, you're looking at Crysis in full-color and with better pop-out/depth perception.

** iZ3D technical support is currently going out to help me solve my problem. It seems no one else here (except for user iamcanadian) is having the same problem. No games will run on v1.09 for us anymore.
CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 2.5 ghz X4
GPU: EVGA GTX 260 896 MB PCI-E 2.0
3D Solution: Red/Cyan glasses :(
Stereo driver: iZ3D v1.09
neilthecellist
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by neilthecellist »

Spam. Kill this son of a ......
CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 2.5 ghz X4
GPU: EVGA GTX 260 896 MB PCI-E 2.0
3D Solution: Red/Cyan glasses :(
Stereo driver: iZ3D v1.09
Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

By Neil Schneider Crysis, Crytek’s flagship product, is the motivation for PC hardware upgrades all over the world and could be the most hyped DirectX 10 game of them all. However, Crysis has a special place in MTBS members’ hearts because Crytek developed Far Cry, a game regularly toasted for its stereoscopic 3D (S-3D) gaming success. Does Crysis add up to the hype in the S-3D world? Let’s find out! Crysis General Game Review Crysis Stereoscopic 3D Introduction iZ3D S-3D Findings NVIDIA S-3D Findings ConclusionCrysis General Game Review The first part of a trilogy, Crysis is a science fiction ...

Return to “MTBS Game Review User Remarks”