Testing some games

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Testing some games

Post by ChrisJD »

EDIT: All of the below are in Mono. The rift warp overlap + lack of sync between frames might fool you (it did me when I was first playing around testing on my monitor) into thinking they're Stereo.

All of the games I tried except Dead Rising 2 needed d3d9.dll and libfreespace.dll (These can both be found in Perceptions "bin" folder) to be copied into their folders (whichever folder in the game folder contains the games exe, most of the time this is the root folder but sometimes it is a sub-folder).

I don't have my Rift yet but I thought I'd test some games that haven't had any specific support added in Vireio yet. UT3 titles seem to work well, even when the engine has been fairly heavily modified as in the case of Batman and Borderlands.

I've included the profiles entries I used (add them to the profiles.xml) for the games that worked. Bear in mind I wasn't using any tracking so those values are meaningless. I kept the screenshots small so that you can focus through them to see the 3D (they aren't cross eyed).

Dead Rising 2 (Partially works) - Into the game and able to play. One eye seems to be a frame behind the other.

<profile game_name="Dead Rising 2" game_exe="deadrising2.exe" game_type="10" separation="0.00282" convergence="0.025" swap_eyes="true" yaw_multiplier="27" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />

This screenshot clearly shows the two frames being shown aren't from the same point in time. This seems to be the case for all the games I tried (except maybe Batman). I tried Halflife 2 to see if it had the same issue and I couldn't really tell (I was getting a way higher framerate in Halflife 2). Is it normal for the eyes to be out of synch? Are the eyes updated on alternate frames?

Borderlands (Partially works) - Videos before first menu aren't visible. Works after that. One eye seems to be a frame behind the other.

<profile game_name="Borderlands" game_exe="Borderlands.exe" game_type="202" separation="0.00282" convergence="0.025" swap_eyes="false" yaw_multiplier="27" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />

LA Noire (Worked briefly then stopped working) - Into the game - OK. One eye seems to be a frame behind the other. World stopped rendering (game appeared to have frozen) after about 30 seconds. Menus could still be brought up without any problem.

<profile game_name="LA Noire" game_exe="LANoire.exe" game_type="10" separation="0.00357999" convergence="0" swap_eyes="false" yaw_multiplier="25" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />

Batman AC (Seems to work) - Wasn't looking to carefully at this one. The left and right may have been one frame out of synch here as well, I'm not sure. I wasn't doing anything with any motion fast enough to show a difference in my screenshots.

<profile game_name="Batman AC" game_exe="BatmanAC.exe" game_type="202" separation="0.00282" convergence="0.025" swap_eyes="false" yaw_multiplier="27" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />

Fallout 3 GOTY (Didn't work) - Initial menu - OK. Video after starting New game - OK. Black screen after skipping past video to character creation.
Deus Ex Human Revolution (Didn't work) - Virieo has no effect at all.

One thing I noticed. If the game works without placing d3d9.dll in the game's folder and you go ahead and put it in the folder anyway you get something like this:

Just in case anyone else has this happen and wonders what is going on.
Last edited by ChrisJD on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Testing some games

Post by cybereality »

Awesome! Really surprised that so many games are partially working.

Also, the way the software works, the eyes will be slightly out of sync. Doing it the proper way is possible, but a lot harder.
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

cybereality wrote:Also, the way the software works, the eyes will be slightly out of sync.
Good to know, that's another reason to get the highest frame rate possible. The lower the frame rate the more noticeable it is, especially with fast moving animations like the sword attacks in Dead Rising 2. The feeling when each eye is seeing 2 different images reminds me of the feeling I used to get using shutter glasses on my tnt 2. Not something I want to have all the time.

Tried Metro 2033 earlier and it appears to work well with the skyrim profile. Lighting and shadows seemed correct and I didn't notice any other glitches.

lying_cake
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lying_cake »

What was your profile setting for Fallout 3?

I was able to get Surgeon Simulator 2013 to Run
<profile game_name="Surgeon Simulator 2013" game_exe="ss2013.exe" game_type="501" separation="0.0156001" convergence="0" swap_eyes="false" yaw_multiplier="25" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />

if the graphics are set on High, it wont run
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I'm not seeing any proper 3D in those screenshots. So I wouldn't really class them as partially working.
But since I had trouble getting most new games to hook at all, that is still useful progress.

When I have time, and access to my computer, I might have a go at getting them working.
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

Really? If I look through them and do the "slowly converge your eyes from infinity" thing I can focus them and see the 3D, although none of them have a particularly strong effect. Haven't got my rift yet to really test properly. Are you just viewing them like I am or blowing them up and using the Rift?

lying_cake - I tried most of the game_type values with Fallout 3. A couple were even more broken than the description I gave, the rest were all pretty much the same.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

So these are all intentionally setup for cross eyed viewing, not parallel (the rift)?
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

android78 wrote:So these are all intentionally setup for cross eyed viewing, not parallel (the rift)?
They should be correct for Rift. The left image is for your left eye and the right for your right eye.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

This looks great, but I don´t know why you would want to play 3rd person games on a hmd.
I think I am going to try borderlands out on the Rift.

Do you know if it is possible to get Borderlands 2 working with Vireio?
I don´t own the PC version, so I can´t check for myself.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
lying_cake
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lying_cake »

i can check that when i get home
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

Marulu wrote:This looks great, but I don´t know why you would want to play 3rd person games on a hmd.
I think I am going to try borderlands out on the Rift.

Do you know if it is possible to get Borderlands 2 working with Vireio?
I don´t own the PC version, so I can´t check for myself.
It was more a case of "what games do I have installed" as much as "what games I might actually want to play".

Thee is a Borderlands 2 thread somewhere. I believe the conclusion was that Borderlands 2 doesn't work atm.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

lying_cake wrote:i can check that when i get home
Thanks, please let me know once you have checked it.

Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

I just went out and bought Borderlands for the PC, I am curious in what folder did you put the d3d9.dll file?

ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

For me it's "\steam\steamapps\common\borderlands\Binaries"
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

ChrisJD wrote:For me it's "\steam\steamapps\common\borderlands\Binaries"
After putting the file there the game doesnt work anymore.

I now seme to be getting a error that libfreespace.dll is missing. Could someone please send me his Borderlands libfreespace.dll file?

ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

Marulu wrote:After putting the file there the game doesnt work anymore.

I now seme to be getting a error that libfreespace.dll is missing. Could someone please send me his Borderlands libfreespace.dll file?
libfreespace.dll can be found in the same place you got the d3d9.dll. You need to copy both.

Sorry that was an omission by me in the OP, I will correct it now.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

ChrisJD wrote:
Marulu wrote:After putting the file there the game doesnt work anymore.

libfreespace.dll can be found in the same place you got the d3d9.dll. You need to copy both.

Sorry that was an omission by me in the OP, I will correct it now.
Thanks it is now fully working!

Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

Have you tested either L4D1 or UT3? I know the descriptions says UT3 is poor but, it has the same issue as L4D1, the screen isn't being rendered properly, the character stats are being hidden, I can only see 2/3 of the whole view, the pc shows menus being there, but, they aren't. Is there a fix for this? Thanks!
RescueGamer
Cross Eyed!

Post by RescueGamer »

ChrisJD wrote:
cybereality wrote:Also, the way the software works, the eyes will be slightly out of sync.
Good to know, that's another reason to get the highest frame rate possible. The lower the frame rate the more noticeable it is, especially with fast moving animations like the sword attacks in Dead Rising 2. The feeling when each eye is seeing 2 different images reminds me of the feeling I used to get using shutter glasses on my tnt 2. Not something I want to have all the time.

Tried Metro 2033 earlier and it appears to work well with the skyrim profile. Lighting and shadows seemed correct and I didn't notice any other glitches.

How you did to run metro 2033? I copied the skyrim profile with the name and exe of metro 2033, but it doesn't split the screen, i have to do something more?
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

The dlls need to go in the folder with the Metro 2033 executable, and as I've edited the op to indicate it will be mono.
RescueGamer
Cross Eyed!

Post by RescueGamer »

ChrisJD wrote:The dlls need to go in the folder with the Metro 2033 executable, and as I've edited the op to indicate it will be mono.
You say the d3d9.dll right? I put it on the executalbe folder, but nothing happends, the game don't split the image, what is the op?
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

RescueGamer wrote:You say the d3d9.dll right? I put it on the executalbe folder, but nothing happends, the game don't split the image, what is the op?
And libfreespace.dll. op = original post.
RescueGamer
Cross Eyed!

Post by RescueGamer »

Nothing, i put that dll too, but the game just doesn't split the screen, don't know waht i'm doing worng :S
crespo80
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by crespo80 »

iRacing works too, with whatever "game type" you throw at it but best with the generic 10.
Tracking works with opentrack 1.8 alpha (since iRacing supports trackir) though a bit laggy.
At first I thought it was 2D only, but playing with the profile I discovered I had to set the separation to an odd "0.0000045", three orders of magnitude lower than the othe game profiles, but the 3D effect is good now, altough difficult to fine tune.
In the renderer.ini file, you have to set CockpitMirrorOptimization=0 (otherwise it renders only 1 every frame in the mirrors and the image flickers).
The left and right eyes seem swapped in the mirrors, so it's a mess to look at, otherwise it's amazing :mrgreen:
justmimi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by justmimi »

borderland2 works but I don't have my rift yet to truly test it
justmimi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by justmimi »

mass effect3 works too so far will have to test it out more when I get my rift
justmimi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by justmimi »

crisis3 doesn't work with adding the file but it will slip the screen in 3d mode hope someone make a mod to add vr :)
dariusu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dariusu »

I got the exact same result with Fallout 3 GOTY. The steam version of New Vegas didn't even show the initial menu.

EDIT: After playing around with the game type for Fallout 3 GOTY, I actually managed to get into the game proper and it displays correctly for about 5 seconds, then the video freezes and soon after the game crashes. This is when game type is set to 100.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”