Half Life 2

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
alienatorZ
One Eyed Hopeful

Half Life 2

Post by alienatorZ »

Anyone else have problems with Perception and HL2?

All I get is garbage on screen.

I tried from steam, from directory, running both in administrator mode all with same result.

I see Blurred lines on screen. SBS and oculus mode.

Without Perception all is fine but no VR :(
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Half Life 2

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I get the same thing. I found the 1.0.1 version (debug) seems to work better with HL2.

http://www.vireio.com/files/Perception_1.0.1.zip
alienatorZ
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by alienatorZ »

That one worked.

Thanks cyber!
SirNikkolas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SirNikkolas »

Has anyone figured out why the 1.0.1 (debug) version works, and the later ones don't? What is happening to mine it seems like it is on an infinite loop of dividing the screens in half resulting in a screen with lines across it once it can't divide the creen anymore.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

Hmm I see the same thing, I thought we had uncovered + fixed all the issues with non-Debug builds but I guess not.

I started adding more debug logging and comparing the output between Debug and Release builds, haven't seen anything suspicious so far though.
adoral84
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by adoral84 »

Wanted to post my findings after using vireio on HL2 for quite a bit.

The aspect ratio was never right, not a vireio issue it appears distorted in 16x10 even without running vireio. Other source games handled this fine from what I can tell. In my mod I was able to correct this so not an issue for me at this point. With the new configuration tools I was able to get a really good strain-free 3d effect, although it's still not the same TF2 or tuscany. The fov that worked best for me was 100-110 depending on if I was wearing my glasses and had the rift adjusted out a bit.

The only instability issue I've had is the occasional freeze-frame while the game is still playing (which only seems to occur in certain levels), but I haven't tried the latest version yet.
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

It worked for me with 1.0.5rc1 except the warping was incorrect, I'm not sure if it was too severe or not strong enough but it was wrong and it made me feel quite ill. The other annoying issue is the ui uses the mouse as if it was across the whole screen, making it impossible to click on anything in the rift, and not much more than a wild guessing game on a monitor, but i don't think that can really be helped.
Clavus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Clavus »

Can't get HL2 to work either. Tried with driver 1.0.4, but that doesn't draw the 3D space (which others probably described as seeing lines over their screen). 1.0.1 driver crashes on startup. I'm on Windows 8 x64, laptop sports a 3630QM CPU and 660M GPU.
lassikin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lassikin »

Clavus wrote:Can't get HL2 to work either. Tried with driver 1.0.4, but that doesn't draw the 3D space (which others probably described as seeing lines over their screen). 1.0.1 driver crashes on startup. I'm on Windows 8 x64, laptop sports a 3630QM CPU and 660M GPU.

I'm on a somewhat similar setup and can't get hl2 to work at all on any version with vireio. always crashes on main screen when anything else than disabled is selected. is there some logging options?
anonap
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by anonap »

HL2 seems to work for me with normal Beta 12 (even with Cinematic Mod, once I added it to profiles.xml), but there's no stereoscopic 3D, it's just the same picture in each eye. Am I missing something?
Edit: And FOV is apparently fixed to 75. No console commands or autoexec.cfg changes seem able to budge it.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Have you tried adjusting the setting with the F2/F3 keys? I think the hot-keys got broken at some point, so that may be a problem.
anonap
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by anonap »

On the latest version, I tried all the F keys and F2/F3 did nothing, not even very slowly. F1 seemed to adjust zoom/warp though, so something was getting through at least.

I've just tried an old version of Perception (1.0.4) and it's much better. Latest didn't work, neither did 1.0.1, but 1.0.4 has correct stereo 3D and looks great. I think the FOV is a little low but messing with the distortion alleviates it a bit.
BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

anonap wrote:And FOV is apparently fixed to 75. No console commands or autoexec.cfg changes seem able to budge it.
I'm having the same issue here. Not a Perception issue per se, but it definitely doesn't look great in the Rift with an FOV of 75. Any tips from people here who have gotten it to the desired 110? Solutions turned up on other forums seem to involve chicken bones and phases of the moon.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

I've seen a couple posts online that indicate that the FOV is unchangeable until you get your HEV suit.

If I fire up HL2 with Perception, and do New Game from Chapter 1, once I regain camera control and get off the train, I'm unable to change FOV at that point (sv_cheats 1/fov 110 have no visible effect). However if I do New Game from Chapter 2 onwards, I can.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I thought the command was "fov_desired 110". I know I have used that on Ep1.
gray
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gray »

Both work, but yeah. The HEV suit is a requirement for FOV change (oddly). Took me a while!
BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot later tonight. :)
tothjm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tothjm »

Are you guys getting much of a 3d effect? I tried this in dishonored last night, set the FOV to 110 which def was better than the 75 default, but as i look around i still dont really get a sense of feeling " in " the game. Also not much of a 3D feel. I am curious if playing HL pre calibration ( FOV at 110 ) do you guys feel actually in that game with realistic 3d distance etc? similar to the occulus bots demo ( that 3d and sense of space is SPOT ON )

Just wondering if i am somehow not getting the effect becuase the SCHOT lines need to be confirgured.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You may have to adjust the settings. I don't think the defaults are very good (and in some cases the eyes are reversed).

Return to “Development / General Discussion”