Windows 8

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
lassikin
One Eyed Hopeful

Windows 8

Post by lassikin »

I'm having hard time getting Vireio to work at all - is anyone else running it successfully in windows 8?

both hl2 and mirrors edge crash just when vireio should kick in. none of the modes work(though I'd like to get it working with a rift).

here's the mirrors edge crash.

"Rendering thread exception:
General protection fault!

History: Address = 0x634afcea (filename not found) [in C:\perception105\Perception\bin\HIJACKDLL.dll]
Address = 0x634a4532 (filename not found) [in C:\perception105\Perception\bin\HIJACKDLL.dll]
Address = 0x18b9d9b (filename not found) [in F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\mirrors edge\Binaries\MirrorsEdge.exe]
Address = 0xac99da (filename not found) [in F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\mirrors edge\Binaries\MirrorsEdge.exe]

RaiseException() Address = 0x76434b32 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll]
CxxThrowException() Address = 0x62eb8e89 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6910_none_d089c358442de345\MSVCR80.dll]
Address = 0x1132628 (filename not found) [in F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\mirrors edge\Binaries\MirrorsEdge.exe]
Address = 0x10e1860 (filename not found) [in F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\mirrors edge\Binaries\MirrorsEdge.exe]
Address = 0xb30cfd (filename not found) [in F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\mirrors edge\Binaries\MirrorsEdge.exe]
"
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Re: Windows 8

Post by drgroove101 »

I'm running Vireio (Beta 12) on Win8 and it works great. I've tried it with HL2 and Skyrim, both are working as advertised. I don't have my Rift yet though.

I did have issues with earlier builds of Vireio, it wouldn't even start up, and I had to copy the .dll's from the Vireio dir to the game dir, and then start both Vireio and the game in Admin mode. Even then Skyrom worked, but HL came up with a mostly black screen, and looked like it was rendering not just 2 eyes, but an infinite # of eyes, (if that makes sense =p).

Beta 12 seems a lot more stable, I don't have run admin mode, or copy dll's, and I can start the games from Steam and they work. Haven't had a chance to test out the latest release yet, it's come a long way!
lassikin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lassikin »

ok, I'll have to keep trying then!

i tried the 1.05 and some older beta and no dice with either, same crashes. tried copying the files over to the directory, running from steam and from the directory, with admin rights on both.. tried even compatibility modes.

one thing, does vireio work if the game is on different drive than vireio?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Strange. I don't have Win 8 so I'm not really sure. The hard drive its on should make no difference, but I wonder if maybe the registry keys aren't being set correctly.
lassikin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lassikin »

the registry seems right, there's the base dir for the version I last ran and the targetexe are both there at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Vireio\Perception and also the (Default) which is set to (value not set).

maybe win8 is missing some file by default?
is a debug version available for download somewhere? vire.io has 1.0.1 with claimed debug version in root directory but it's nowhere to be seen in the zip's root directory.

I did get it to try it yesterday with friends win7, where it worked just fine(in retrospect I should have checked it's registry if it was different).
lying_cake
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lying_cake »

Running windows 8 with beta 12, no issues here :)
lassikin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lassikin »

could you do me a favor and post what you have in registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Vireio\Perception ?
lying_cake
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lying_cake »

here you go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lassikin
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Windows 8 (works now)

Post by lassikin »

Thank you! even though it didn't help my case as I suspected the registry seems fine.

HOWEVER I GOT IT WORKING !!!

What I'm guessing is that it didn't find it's shader files. I copied the stuff to c: root. and now it works without crashing
I'll try to dig out more later, now I'm going to do some playing! (the registry seemed to point where the files were just fine just to re-iterate that point)
lying_cake
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lying_cake »

awesome, let me know if you want some gaming profiles to test

i have these games up and running:
Counter-Strike GO
Diablo 3
Starcraft 2
World of Warcraft (pretty cool when you go into 1st person view)
Surgeon Simulator
Shoot Mania
Strmtrper6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Strmtrper6 »

I'm having a hard time getting the Hillcrest tracker to work in Win8 with Vireio. Worked fine on my Win7 laptop. I tried shaking and multiple games.

Anyone else have any troubles?

lyingcake, I'm curious about your CS:GO profiles, if you wouldn't mind sharing.
lying_cake
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lying_cake »

<profile game_name="Counter-Strike Global Offensive" game_exe="csgo.exe" game_type="101" separation="0" convergence="13.6903" swap_eyes="false" yaw_multiplier="42.34" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />
Strmtrper6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Strmtrper6 »

Thanks lying_cake! Definitely not very good at playing like that though.

I messed around a bit more. Seems Tuscany works and so does the OculusTrack option in Vireio. Even more confused as to what the issue might be.

Can anyone let me know if their driver info matches?

EventData

DeviceInstanceID HID\VID_2833&PID_0001\6&30a408d&0&0000
DriverName input.inf
ClassGUID {745A17A0-74D3-11D0-B6FE-00A0C90F57DA}
DriverDate 06/21/2006
DriverVersion 6.2.9200.16461
DriverProvider Microsoft
DriverInbox true
DriverSection HID_Raw_Inst.NT
DriverRank 0xff1003
MatchingDeviceID HID_DEVICE
OutrankedDrivers
DeviceUpdated false
Status 0x0
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

lying_cake wrote:awesome, let me know if you want some gaming profiles to test

Counter-Strike GO
Diablo 3
Starcraft 2
Surgeon Simulator
Shoot Mania
WHAT?!?! You have WoW working? Dude seriously? Does it look good and have full head tracking including roll? Oh my god... you have to give this to me!

Wow in the Rift... man that's gonna be my last day on earth
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

lying_cake wrote:awesome, let me know if you want some gaming profiles to test

Counter-Strike GO
Diablo 3
Starcraft 2
Surgeon Simulator
Shoot Mania
Nice dude! You should post the profile for all these games so people can test and if they're good add them into the build, the more games the better! Especially WoW, even if it's not that good, like I doubt you can read the menu's and stuff but I GOT to try it anyway. I've played that game way too much, like unhealthy addiction too much, so I can play it without seeing the interface anyway
lying_cake
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lying_cake »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFfMmQM3L-c

here is my latest video with windows 8, kinect and the oculus.

I'll post the requested profiles shortly today
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Nice dude! I saw this video the other day when i was doing my daily youtube oculus rift->today filter research, lawl!

Well done with the kinect integration, the leean forward and backward would be a little odd playing for the long term though. It would be cool to develop an xbox controller/kinect hybrid for extended VR play.

Looking forward to trying out your game profiles!

Return to “Development / General Discussion”