Polarized Glasses: What are they compatible with?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Shad0wSn1per
One Eyed Hopeful

Polarized Glasses: What are they compatible with?

Post by Shad0wSn1per »

I'm new to 3D and I've been using a pair of red/blue anaglyph glasses. It's a hell of a lot of fun. I don't like it how the red/blue desaturates the colors so badly, and they seem a little bit weak. I don't really have enough cash to purchase an expensive setup. Will polarized glasses would work with just a standard LCD with iZ3D's anaglyph drivers (or anything else I can get next to nothing)?

Thanks.
Last edited by Shad0wSn1per on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi!

welcome to the board... :) the cheapest (professional) solution with polarized glasses (in terms of money) is a 3D monitor. actually there are several other solutions that work without polarized lenses that can create a 3D effect without loosing colors. e.g. shutterglasses, head mounted displays, crosseyed viewing, and a few more. the solutions vary from a few dollars/euros for a mirror to thousends of dollars for projectors. more or less every budget has a solution. obviously a 5$ solution cant be compared with a 600$ solution. all the solutions have positive and negative sides. the best thing to do is to read the introduction neil wrote. its a text wich is a introduction to the various solutions and to the understanding of how it works. you can find it here:

http://mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/rss_blog.cgi?news_id=49

this should give you all the answers you need.. :)

cu

igor
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think passive polarized is probably the best method out today (just like in the movies) but it doesn't come cheap. You need a special monitor, or dual projectors, etc. So its not going to work just on a regular screen. There are a lot of different solutions, but the price range varies. I would suggest getting a good pair of anaglyph glasses to start out. Most people agree its the worst quality but its the most bang for your buck. If you go on this site they have a nice selection of high-quality plastic glasses for around $10 a piece (a lot better than the cheapo paper ones):
http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/gla.html

If you have a CRT monitor you can do better with shutterglasses but on an LCD your best bet is anaglyph for the time being.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”