The Right Stuff...Whose Got it?

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

The Right Stuff...Whose Got it?

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

I'm just amazed at all the positive coverage the Vireio Perception drivers have received in the short time they have been available. Credit goes to Cybereality and Baristan6 for their tireless work in getting things started.

Check out our front page story:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=73

It seems that there is growing excitement for each release of the driver, and I think the software can go a long way if we give it some organization. I wouldn't put it at the same level as DDD or Nvidia, but Vireio has the potential to bring a lot of fun to a lot of people.

Even though I'm not a programmer, I am connected. I bet I could get game keys to people who are interested and capable of creating new game profiles. Maybe other opportunities will come to the table; I don't know. I would like to try.

That said, I'd like to do this in the following steps:

1. Who's out there that can put some time into this?
2. What challenges do the drivers face?
3. What innovations are required to make this software work the way it should?
4. Divide it amongst the participants.

Answering points two to four is useless until the first issue is taken care of. It's most helpful if you have related programming skill. However, even if you don't, we will find a way to collect your valuable feedback to help us put out better software. Send me a PM with your level of interest, if you think you have the programming skill, and how much time you think you can put into this on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance,
Neil
Neil

Re: The Right Stuff...Whose Got it?

Post by Neil »

Here. Just to show you I mean business, I have spare download kits (with special thanks to AMD) for:

Bioshock Infinite
Crysis 3
Devil May Cry
Tomb Raider

Not a key for one game...ALL games! Who wants it?

If you have what it takes to get these games running with Perception in decent quality then the key is yours.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I support this effort.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Bioshock Infinite doesn't support Direct3D 9, which is all that Vireio Perception supports for now. So we'd need to remake the whole thing for Direct3D 10/11. It's possible, but a significant amount of work and testing.

Crysis 3 doesn't normally support Direct3D 9, but there seems to be a hack or two that can get it to work.

The Devil May Cry and Tomb Raider reboots should be possible.
Philpax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Philpax »

Indeed, supporting B:I and Crysis 3 would require support for DX10 and above, which is a significant time investment. Ideally, the DX9 code could be used as a starting point (as the majority of the hard work is done), but there have been significant changes between the two versions. Supporting DX10 and above will get increasingly important, however, as it would open the gates for newer games to receive retroactive support.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Philpax wrote:Indeed, supporting B:I and Crysis 3 would require support for DX10 and above, which is a significant time investment. Ideally, the DX9 code could be used as a starting point (as the majority of the hard work is done), but there have been significant changes between the two versions. Supporting DX10 and above will get increasingly important, however, as it would open the gates for newer games to receive retroactive support.

DX10 and DX11 is already being looked at:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=73

Regards,
Neil

Return to “Development / General Discussion”