Notebook Sound Card

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Notebook Sound Card

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

I bought a Dell Inspiron 9400 notebook recently.

However, because I chose to go with XP, I couldn't get the Audigy sound card instead of the internal sound card.

Anyone know if there are any major differences?

Neil
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

without a creative soundcard you cant get EAX 3-5 effects. Also the Performance in games is better with a Audigy.
If you want to listen a lot of music with your notebook you schould not choose creative soundcard but even a Audigy sounds way better than a onboard soundcard.
RAZOR3D SHUTTER GLASSES @ NEC Diamond Pro 930SB(19" CRT) @ 6600GT
gisabun

Post by gisabun »

scarab wrote:without a creative soundcard you cant get EAX 3-5 effects. Also the Performance in games is better with a Audigy.
If you want to listen a lot of music with your notebook you schould not choose creative soundcard but even a Audigy sounds way better than a onboard soundcard.
Not sure if it's the same for desktops, but I have an Audigy 2 and it's fine with me for music [either digital files or actual CDs]. It also has a DVD-A player .

Unually anything is better than the built in audio cards unless you buy a real pricey system. Although I would figure the 9400 would have something decent as it ain't a cheap laptop [I've seen Neil's laptop and a cousin of mine has one as well].
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

gisabun wrote: Not sure if it's the same for desktops, but I have an Audigy 2 and it's fine with me for music [either digital files or actual CDs]. It also has a DVD-A player .

I have a X-Fi and the sound is good but people who lisened to a lot of diffrent soundcards say for 100? you can get cards who a much better to listen music. Audigy cards are made for gaming.

Ive heared the Linkin Park Minutes to Midnight DVD-A and the sound is whop'n great but unfortunaly this album is not a quarter as good as Hybrid Theory or Meteora.

What DVD-As do you have?

If have some tips for all people who like quality:
1. If you have sufficient disk space use FLAC instead of mp3. FLAC files realy sounds amazing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Lossless_Audio_Codec . Currently i have 890GB disk space and my music collection just takes 38.9 GB of it.
2. If you have a good soundcard use a media player who supports ASIO-output, for example foobar2000. Here is a screenshots how i looks on my PC: http://www.artemus.kilu2.de/images/foobar.png
RAZOR3D SHUTTER GLASSES @ NEC Diamond Pro 930SB(19" CRT) @ 6600GT
gisabun

Post by gisabun »

scarab wrote:
Ive heared the Linkin Park Minutes to Midnight DVD-A and the sound is whop'n great but unfortunaly this album is not a quarter as good as Hybrid Theory or Meteora.

What DVD-As do you have?
Porcupine Tree [3 different albums], 1 Dream Theatre next week, 1 Rush next week as well, 5 Genesis albums, 1 Eric Clapton.

One of the Porcupine Tree albums was voted best surround sound release a few years back. It was engineered by the same guy who advises Acura on their DVD-A players in their cars.

Return to “General Discussion”