Freetrack and Richard Burns Rally/Dirt3

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Freetrack and Richard Burns Rally/Dirt3

Post by mm0zct »

Has anyone tried hooking the Vireio head tracking into the trackIR/freetrack api rather than using mouse emulation so we can play games like RBR?
Before I invest some effort myself that someone might have already done.

Here's examples using freetrack for Dirt3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD-mRRusBZ8 and RBR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_4fPTGstdw
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Freetrack and Richard Burns Rally/Dirt3

Post by cybereality »

FreeTrack may be possible. For TrackIR I know there are some licensing concerns, and the company that owns it is not very developer-friendly.
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

Just an update that I've nearly got a Rift tracker plugin for FaceTrackNoIR (FTNOIR) working, so hopefully soon we can use the Rift head tracker with all the Sim games it supports. This should include Dirt3 :)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Nice!
morgg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by morgg »

mm0zct wrote:Just an update that I've nearly got a Rift tracker plugin for FaceTrackNoIR (FTNOIR) working, so hopefully soon we can use the Rift head tracker with all the Sim games it supports. This should include Dirt3 :)
That's great news! Racing games are my number 1 wish for the Rift.

It would be great to have it working combined with positional tracking (wiimote, pseye, trackir...).
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

Just to say I have orientation tracking working in a plugin for FTNOIR now! it will let you combine two sensors so you can setup another like IR tracking for position. It will be in release 1.8 soon, but I'll make a pre-release available asap for you folk.

Currently I've tested it with Dirt2 and 3, the tracking works great, although virieo itself is having some problems with the graphical side (this tracker runs separately, so it does't have to be used with virieo, so we get sim head tracking with other drivers too). The next games on the list are ARMA2 and Wings of Prey which FTNOIR is listed as supporting.
morgg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by morgg »

Great news mm0zct! Are you going to release your plugin? Can I download anywhere?

I would like to try it with "mono" mode in some racing sims (mainly rFactor2, iRacing, F12012...).

I'm not an experienced 3D programmer, but I could try to give some help with the positional tracking sensor integration.

By the way, about Dirt3 and EGO engine games, some time ago I created an app to modify the FOV and camera position, since I use triple screens:
http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/inde ... wfile=2011
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

morgg: as you might see in other threads I have fixed the FOV in Dirt2 and 3 (probably with that same utility you wrote, I didn't follow your link, but I've only seen this one kicking around online) and the experience with just rotational tracking and "mono" rendering is really amazing. I've PM'd you a link to a FTNOIR build you can play with :)

Positional tracking isn't something I expect to have a problem with, it was just very simple and straightforward to get rotational done in a couple of evenings and it is the most important tracking for driving sims.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

I haven't received my Rift yet so cant add support in FreePIE, but both TrackIR and Freetrack is supported in FreePIE
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

I'll take a look into that too then, FTNOIR just seemed to be where the head tracking stuff was accumulating.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”