Choose: Storyteller or Amusement Park?

Love it or Lump it - post your feedback to individual blog posts on mtbs3D.com
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Choose: Storyteller or Amusement Park?

Post by Neil »

What are your thoughts on the marketing spin for Journey to the Center of the Earth. Was the film a success to be proud of, or is the spin doing more damage than we realize? Who stands to benefit from S-3D the most, the storytellers or the amusement parks (figuratively)?

Regards,
Neil
fsp48
One Eyed Hopeful

My 2 cents

Post by fsp48 »

Well Neil I can't say I rushed out to see this one. Probably the only reason I would go see it would be to check out the effects. Just from the previews I saw when I went to see Beowulf I could tell the story looked pretty weak and might have some cool effects. The movie looked like the traditional made for kids in wow bang 3d...at least in real D and not anaglyph though. This type of 3d movie really does not interest me much as I figure the 3d is supposed to keep adults distracted from a bad script and kids with short attention spans fixed to the screen. I may see it just to see it if I don't forget about it first. I would have liked to have the new Dark Knight offered in 3d or something like it.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I haven't seen the film yet, so I can't really comment of the quality. However I did see the preview (in 3D) so I have an idea of what to expect. I think movies like this are good for the kids, and the younger audience will be more open to 3D. When they grow up they are going to expect movies to be in 3D. So it makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Most adults, quite frankly, are too closed minded to give 3D a chance. Or maybe they saw some crappy 3D film in the 70's and think all 3D movies automatically suck. I'm not sure, but the marketing will surely spur sales for 3d movies.

In terms of the original question, I think it is more about the amusement parks. The theaters themselves have the most to gain. So in this respect I think the marketing is justified. If even a mediocre children's film can make money in 3D, then just about any movie can. So I don't think its damaging at all. No such thing as bad publicity.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

I dunno, I was talking to some kids in their early twenties about going to see journey to the center of the earth (hey, I am 25 :) ) and they thought that it would be in red/blue. No offense to red/blue movies, but I sure as heck wouldn't have been excited as I was to go and see it if it was anaglyph. These weren't exactly dumb kids either, one is 2 years into game design at a technical school.

You are correct about Wall-E (Disney/Pixar? Maybe they will get around to it after the Toy Stories, it was STUNNING in 2D, 3D would make it breathtaking.)

I think that the more you get out there the better people will understand it. (and the Real D DLP won't hurt at all, it should be as easy to use as any DLP projector, we should be seeing more of the)

I think if the one filmaker would take an interest in 3D with a killer title we would be set. Personally I really enjoyed the film Zathura, if it had been in 3D it would have been a great movie for pushing the public's perception of 3D.

Flying/Space are great uses for 3D, they let people experience things they don't normally take part in.

Rendering in movies. I was not at all surprised to see 3D rendered sequences in 10,000BC. But I was upset that they didn't trade up to 3D rendering while they lost the live action. All they need to do is re-render the 3D sequences and it suddenly becomes a lot more interesting to me. I can forgive animation if it allows 3D perception, but as a 2D movie it looked crappy to me.

Maybe a 3D game in the lobby that plays 3D movie demos for films you can see (and why not?).

I too saw the trailers for Beowulf, I thought instantly "why is it such crap?" Then I realized that the (crap) 3D rendering would allow them to release it in 3D and I thought it was a good idea. I didn't know how to see the film in 3D, and the websites of these movies are not making it easy to find a theater playing the movie in 3D. That is a bad thing. The movie site should have a 3D button and let you search properly for movie theaters. At the least show you them listed by State or something.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

nubie wrote:I didn't know how to see the film in 3D, and the websites of these movies are not making it easy to find a theater playing the movie in 3D. That is a bad thing. The movie site should have a 3D button and let you search properly for movie theaters. At the least show you them listed by State or something.
Yeah, I totally agree with this. It should be clearly stated that its in 3D or have some logo (like for closed-captioning). I think more people might be interested if they promoted the 3D aspect more. Or, they could just not release a 2D version. That would work too.

Return to “MTBS Editorial User Remarks”