Perception Questions, Ideas, and Fix Requests

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Perception Questions, Ideas, and Fix Requests

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

So I've been playing with the Rift and the Perception drivers, and I have a few questions and ideas:

Ideas:

1. Can you add a hotkey anaglyph switch? The anaglyph mode could be used to calibrate the 3D setting. It's near impossible to get an accurate read of what you are doing while wearing an HMD because you can't see both perspectives at the same time!

2. Am I using the correct head roll feature? I'm using the "Oculus Track" option with my Rift. I find that the head roll distorts more than rolls; it makes the scene look unnatural. Is there a fix for this with Left4Dead 2?

3. How do you save the profile once you find the settings you like?

4. With Left4Dead 2 at least, I find you can't see the entire left and right eye. It's as though there is missing information. I've tried FOV settings in the game to no avail. Is there a fix for this?

Regards,
Neil
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Perception Questions, Ideas, and Fix Requests

Post by cybereality »

1. Running the game in anaglyph mode and on the Rift are two different things requiring completely different settings (mainly due to the partial stereo overlap on the Rift). What looks good on one will not look good on the other.

2. The roll will distort on some games. I thought I fixed it, at least on HL2 and L4D1, but maybe it still had some bugs.

3. The basic settings save automatically, like separation and convergence. I don't think all the settings save though (for example, eye-shift doesn't save). This should be easy to fix.

4. L4D2 doesn't allow you to change the FOV. Its probably the worst game to try. L4D1 has good FOV support (after you get the plugin) and HL2 works good.
mrklaw
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mrklaw »

Can you disable the roll support? Looking at a few YouTube videos where the are shadows moving around when rolling, I wonder if just sticking to standard mouse look inputs with no roll would be better for patched games.
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

I just saw Bruce's video of Skyrim with the Rift, it looks like when the gamepad is activated, it disables the mouse, and with the mouse disabled the Rift's headtracking stops working. You have to change the view using the gamepad's joystick
Is there a config tweaking in Skyrim (or Vireio) that could allow to use the gamepad while not disabling the mouse? thus allowing gamepad play and Rift headtracking?

All I found is this article on the nexus forums, haven't tried yet:
http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/ ... e-support/
If you do it right, you can get xpadder to provide a smooth joystick experience and also use the mouse and keyboard at the same time. I did it with Oblivion and was going to do it with Skyrim too, but Skyrim had better Xbox controller support than Oblivion did, so it didn't seem worth the trouble. You bind keyboard and mice buttons to the gamepad, but that doesn't inherently stop you from still using the keyboard and mouse at the same time.
The key is preventing Skyrim (or Oblivion) from recognizing or doing anything with a gamepad that's plugged in. If it "sees" the gamepad, it will disable the mouse and keyboard and activate it's native gamepad support. What you want, if you're using xpadder, is for the game to stay in keyboard and mouse mode. Then you can use the keyboard and mouse all you want and also pickup your gamepad at the same time because, through xpadder, the gamepad is using the keyboard and mouse. In Oblivion, I was able to completely disable it's gamepad support mostly by removing lines from the config.ini.
As I mentioned, you can get a smooth joystick experience with xpadder. You just have to pick the right options. In "Mouse Settings" for each stick, I recommend setting it to "Cursor" mode and setting the emulation speed to whatever is comfortable. For some games I do about 80, for others 150. It depends on the game. From there, you just have to adjust to the feel for each game. Anyone who has played a lot of console FPS's knows what I mean.
laast
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by laast »

Xpadder should solve the problem, yes. And you can find a ready-to-use profile as a base:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17706
or
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17718
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

laast wrote:Xpadder should solve the problem, yes. And you can find a ready-to-use profile as a base:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17706
or
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17718
awesome, thanks
Imma try that 2nite
cheers!
Syke408
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Syke408 »

I know it says in the readme that certain bugs will occur with SLI setups, such as flickering in Portal 2. My question is, what causes this because I have never had any other problems with SLI in any other game without the Vireio drivers? I am running a GTX 690 and when I turn off one of the GPUs Portal 2 runs fine albeit a little slower. Thanks in advance.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”