Pitch Dampening?

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Jademalo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Pitch Dampening?

Post by Jademalo »

I haven't got my dev kit, so I can't test this, but I was wondering if this would work.

I have a G400, and the Logitech Gaming Software installed. One of the options with this is to change the DPI of one spesific mouse axis.
After reading some things about Vireio and the OR in general, Pitch modification from inputs seems to be something that you want to shy away from, and to use your head. An example of this is TF2 mode 3, where you can't affect the pitch with the mouse, only the yaw. This means that the ground is always level relative to the real world, and you can only modify the direction you're facing.

I then had an idea - lower the DPI of my mouse on the Y axis substantially, so it only really moves on the X axis. This is done entirely in Logitech's software and is spesific to the mouse's hardware (In that the change is done in the sensor) - plugging in any other mouse isn't affected by this change.
Would this improve my experience in games like Mirrors edge where you can't detach the aim, since you would always be looking correctly on the vertical axis, and the only thing the mouse controls is the horizontal? (Since there is no limit to your Pitch in your seat, but Yaw is obviously limited)

Hopefully this can help someone, It's just an idea.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Pitch Dampening?

Post by cybereality »

That's an interesting idea, and you should probably give it a shot when you get your kit. Personally, I have not felt ill-effects when controlling the gun/view with the mouse, but I know this has been mentioned as a potential problem. I don't think anyone really has the perfect control scheme yet for VR, and chances are it won't involve a mouse.
Jademalo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Pitch Dampening?

Post by Jademalo »

I'm tempted to try Mouse + left hand Hydra for TF2, and see how that is. One of the main things I hear being an issue is analog movement being almost required, but a mouse is a lot more precise than the Hydra for precision aiming.

Still, if I can get skyrim into a playable state without any major modifications, I'll be more than happy. Most complaints I've seen with skyrim have to do with control schemes. This should also have the side effect of working for all locked aim games.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”