[REQ] 3D helmet idea? - what do you think

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

[REQ] 3D helmet idea? - what do you think

Post by staticbuddha »

What do you think??

This is an idea I had after seeing a thread about 3D eye glasses. My idea maybe crap but its worth a read and a try if you get a chance.

Please let me know your ideas on this and if you have tried it :)

cheers for your help
Staticbuddha :)[/img]
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, that would totally work, but probably wouldn't be the most comfortable solution. You couldn't move your head around much. It would be cheap though, and work with any display technology.

I actually had the same idea, but didn't post it up (I'm sure others have done DIY stuff like this in the past). The method is sound, if not just a bit clunky.

You can test this out easy just using your hands and looking at some cross-eye images from the gallery. If you hold your hands up straight, palms facing your face, and move them so they are the image width apart and about 6" from your face. Now simply focus your vision on your hands and you will get a cross-eye stereo-3d view. This is a much easier technique to learn (at least for me) then doing it with one finger or moving your head as is usually recommended. Maybe that technique will help give you some ideas.
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

Heres one I made eailer, sorry real bad spelling, am very tired and cant be bothered to check over :)

Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I don't think You need the tube(s).
Sabre2552
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sabre2552 »

Wait, I don't understand the purpose of what you are constructing. It seems you're suggesting something like a stereoscope ( http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 86&start=0 ) method of viewing 3D. If so, you'd need mirrors in order for the images to line up so that you don't strain your eyes. Otherwise, it'd be just parallel viewing.

I might be misunderstanding, though, how do you plan to achieve this 3D effect without using mirrors or straining the eyes?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I'm a little confused too. The first design makes sense for cross-eye viewing but I'm not sure what the tubes are for.
sharky

Post by sharky »

mooved the topic to the diy section! nice topic keep up the good work! ;)
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

HI

Cheers for the response, ok the tubes are a redesgin of the first drawing as sticking a bag over your head, which I just couldnt see others doing. but both give the same results. That result being yes the final image is cut in half to give each eye a seperate image with just a small part is overlapped so that the eye strain is near zero.

The tubes also block all light out and you look down the tube and your left eye see half inside tube and half projection and the other eye sees the same but the other half. You eyes then are meant to focus differently due to all light and other images being cut out. Remember I never said this worked just a thought and most of all a bit of fun. Its so sounds liek it aint gonna wok but I swear I was definately more emmersed in the game if not felt more depth.

I dont know it that explains more, but if not I will do some more diagrams, or if not if you have a projector give it a try :)
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I can't see your images, but the one in the FW and I read the description...

I'd like to make it for 2 screens and then use IZ3D dualoutput to have a driver.
My problem is, that it would have to be light...
I would implement mirrors in it, but haven't found the right ones jet - but I have not searched much, too ;-)
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!

Return to “Do it Yourself!”