First experience with VR?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Mark2036
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: First experience with VR?

Post by Mark2036 »

Mark2036 wrote:
cybereality wrote:Dactyl Nightmare was state-of-the-art at the time. It was a fully 3D rendered networked multiplayer game in the early 90's. I mean, it still has some elements that are advanced even for today's games (for example, independent gun and head tracking). I know the game itself was pretty basic, and the graphics don't hold up, but give it some credit. There were not a lot of 3D games back then, and they were paving new territory.

Not just independent head and hand tracking, but body tracking too. Remember the waistband you wore attached to a cable I think that measured how you turned your body.

Dactyl Nightmare was awesome and ahead of its time. I hope someone ports it to rift and implements hand and body tracking somehow one day so I ca. Re-live the nostalgia :D
Infact, perhaps we could copy the mechanical method of body and gun tracking used in virtuality rigs and combine it with rift?
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: First experience with VR?

Post by V8Griff »

Mark2036 wrote:
cybereality wrote:Dactyl Nightmare was state-of-the-art at the time. It was a fully 3D rendered networked multiplayer game in the early 90's. I mean, it still has some elements that are advanced even for today's games (for example, independent gun and head tracking). I know the game itself was pretty basic, and the graphics don't hold up, but give it some credit. There were not a lot of 3D games back then, and they were paving new territory.

Not just independent head and hand tracking, but body tracking too. Remember the waistband you wore attached to a cable I think that measured how you turned your body.

Dactyl Nightmare was awesome and ahead of its time. I hope someone ports it to rift and implements hand and body tracking somehow one day so I can Re-live the nostalgia :D
The waistband you needed for the 1000CS wasn't actually anything to do with tracking I'm afraid as it was just head and joystick tracking.

The CS was an adaptation of a unit that was originally intended to be a 'workstation' and the waistband was a form of 'junction box' similar to the break out unit supplied with the Rift that the HMD and joystick where plugged into.

Interestingly however the workstation version also had a compressor built into it that was used to drive a force feedback glove. I tried it at Virtuality's offices, early days when they were still W-Industries, and it was a very odd feeling to 'shake' the hand of a virtual character and feel a squeeze!! :o

They even did a 'trans-atlantic' virtual handshake once which was pretty cool considering this was the early '90s and pre broadband internet.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”