a lot of questions ^^

tmp-mediagroup
One Eyed Hopeful

a lot of questions ^^

Post by tmp-mediagroup »

Hey,

i plan a 3d stereoscopic panorama projection. I prepare to buy new hardware the old one is outdated. The solution is need for some directX applications pictures or videos.

Hardware:
1x High performance pc with the newest fastest hardware.
2x Matrox Triplehead2go (on every output one TH2GO)
6x projectors (on every TH2GO 3 projectors)

Some Questions:
(01) - With older Nvidia cards it was possible to setup a "Dual VGA Output" The question now is: Is this possible with the new Nvidiadriver (Vista) too?
(02) - If not i read here about other drivers. How is the performance? (IZ3D, TriDev, Edimensional) (Shootout?)
(03) - Is it possible in any way to have 2 - 3 graficcards for a better Stereoperformance withou SLI configuration?
(04) - Should i choose a 9800GX2 Card or the New GTX280? (i prefer the GTX280)
(05) - Should i choose a Quadcore or a Dualcore CPU (i prefer a faster dualcore CPU)
(06) - Should i choose 4gb expensive DDR3 RAM or is 8 DDR2 better?
(07) - Is there any stereodriver who supports Quad Core Cpus?
(08) - Is there any stereodriver who supports Quad-SLI or Triple SLI without deactivate the other outputs of the graphic card?
(09) - Which 3d stereodriver have the best support? (IZ3D?)
(10) - Is it possible to record stereovideos out of 3d games? How does it work? (Camtasia?)
(11) - Does IZ3D give OEM licenses for their driver?

Thanks

Kind Regards

Matthias
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

1) NV does not have that output method in their S-3D driver for vista. If you wan't to use it, you would have to use GF7, which is not powerfull enough.

2) Iz3D seems to have best driver support, compatibility and performance. But the most important thing for you should be thier dualoutput for S-3D. I think it should work to connect the projectors like you want to and have 2x3 running in passive polarized S-3D.

3) interesting question. Maybe 2 cards in non SLI could drive dualoutput, too. Each rendering one image. Problem could be the driver...

4) SLI (hardware?) shuts down the outputs, but CrossfireX (not normal crossfire) supports multiple outputs.

5) CPU depends on application you want to run. If it has multicore support, a quad might be helpfull... otherwise Dualcore should be fine.

6) No Idea... imho speed does not matter much, if you have high GPU ram and CPU cashe

8 ) use crossfireX

10) Iz3D plans something like this, I think
11) Maybe they tell you yourself ;-)
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
tmp-mediagroup
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tmp-mediagroup »

Hi Luke,

1) thanks a lot for your answers. The old Geforce 7 series is no alternative as you say the graphicpower is to slow. The problem with ATI is temporarly that ATI does not support the resolution for the Matrox Triplehead2go. The maximum resolution of tha ATI Cards is 2400x600.

2) IZ3D seems to be a interesting Partner :) I have to contact them in the next time.

3) Hehe you say it .. i only thought maybe have anyone a solution for me

4) CrossfireX is the "new" crossfire with the "NEW" ATI cards right? I have to research thanks for info

5) ok how about normal videoapplications is there a quadcore support for z.B. Windows Mediaplayer? VLC? whatever

8) see answer 1

10) see answer 2
11) see answer 2

(( 12 )) (NEW QUESTION) With new graphic cards (GF200 / 9 Series / 8 Series) i have to choose Windows Vista or XP for good performance? I should prefer in anyway a 64bit OS XP or Vista for a maximum of RAM isnt it?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Thats a lot of questions, I don't know all the answers put here are some suggestions. The iz3D driver in Dual-Output mode is probably the best fit for you right now. Currently the new Nvidia stereo driver is locked in with the Zalman monitor and won't work with other solutions at the moment. The old drivers would technically work, but its doubtful the 7 series cards will be powerful enough (as was mentioned). In terms of performance the iz3d driver looks to be the best. New nvidia driver isn't bad, its just Vista/Zalman only. I can't say about the other drivers, I couldn't get the E-D one to work at all (it messed up my computer) and TriDef has limited support for custom applications if I remember correctly. I've tried the iz3D driver with some custom DirectX9 applications and it didn't have a problem.

I don't know anything really about the Matrox Triplehead2go. I'm not sure what 3d drivers support that card. I think ATI's CrossFireX is worth looking into. I've heard of people with 8 GPUs (4 cards each with x2 GPUs) so with 8 DVI outputs there has got to be some way to do it. Using the latest ATI cards with CrossFireX should give you the performance you need. The question is just the driver support. Nvidia locks all but one video output when in SLI mode (thats why dual-screen and SLI don't work together). I'm not sure there is any way around this, and Nvidia isn't known for frequently updating their drivers (so no point in waiting on them). Definitely plan to get the latest generation of cards, but wait to see the compatibility first. One thing to note is that the GTX 280 has a 512-bit memory interface which is very important if you are rendering high-resolution stereo pairs. The 256-bit bus on the older cards will likely cause bottlenecks when at XHD resolutions.

Between Dual core or Quad core, I don't think it makes much of a difference really in terms of DirectX performance. I guess the Quads should be faster (and they are in some supported applications) but for games it doesn't seem to matter much as far as I know. Just get the fastest chip you can. Go for the 45nm intels (Wolfdale) for the best price/performance. The 3 GHz chip I have (E8400) goes for less than $200. The QX9650 I think is the best thing out, but at over $1000. You can probably get a E8500 for around $270 and overclock it to the same performance and save yourself a bunch of money.

In terms of RAM, getting 4GB of the best DDR3 might be your best best in terms of speed. But 8GB of the best DDR2 RAM would probably be better than 4GB of some low-end DDR3 memory. Personally, DDR3 didn't seem worth it to me at this point in time. But if you are trying to build a monster of a machine then it should be DDR3. Don't forget that the new Nahalem Intel chipset is coming out in a few months. This means all new motherboard, new socket, etc. If you can wait you will be able to buy a much faster machine before the end of the year. Or build a cheaper machine now with the notion of upgrading later. Its just not worth spending a fortune on the top-of-the-line machine today when a whole new architecture comes out in a few months. Just something to be aware of.

Vista is a mixed bag. Its not that much slower than XP, but at the same time its not really any faster either. If you are trying to inch out every last ounce of power than XP is a safer choice. However if you are going 64-bit then I would recommend Vista 64-bit over XP 64-bit. Vista 64-bit has decent support (since all Vista drivers must include 32-bit and 64-bit versions). So that will allow you to use over 4GB of RAM and I believe the iz3D driver should work fine on Vista 64-bits.

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”