SIGGRAPH 2009, S-3D Gaming Panel, Part III (Nicolas Schultz)

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

SIGGRAPH 2009, S-3D Gaming Panel, Part III (Nicolas Schultz)

Post by Neil »

Crytek! Crytek! Crytek!

Check out the HD version here:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=134839365798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nicolas Schultz, Graphics Engineer for Crytek demonstrates CryENGINE 3 running in stereoscopic 3D. Very memorable demo!

Pay close attention to what Crytek wants out of the S-3D industry.

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Re: SIGGRAPH 2009, S-3D Gaming Panel, Part III (Nicolas Schultz)

Post by Neil »

There was a problem with the low-res link. It is fixed now.

Regards,
Neil
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Wow. I was expecting to make my usual depressed robot comments about too little progress, big deal blah blah but this video has changed my mind.

The quality of that engine and those graphics without the typical negatives and glitches but WITH native support is ground breaking. If this engine is pushed properly and taken up by more game makers it will open the market for new, better and cheaper 3d displays and the ball will truly be rolling.

Plus i live in the hope that native page flipping will be supported for hmd's and such :D

Thanks Neil.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

As said before this is an awesome thing from Crytek! As is they have always been a step ahead of other gamedevs (Far Cry & Crysis in mind).
Could we hope for a competitive spirit among other gamedevelopers about 3d as well? :twisted:

Great report Neil.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

the sister thread on the nvidia forums
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?show ... ntry579454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

There are a few more videos to share. Lots more excitement to come!

Regards,
Neil
shonofear
Cross Eyed!

Post by shonofear »

wow looks good,
but subtitles would of helped me understand the speakers...

cheers 4 the interesting watch none the less :P

Shono
waiting patiently......
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Looks very nice. Crysis is really a beauty to behold, especially in stereo3d. I had a lot of fun playing Crysis with the Vuzix stereo drivers although there were some anomolies here and there and I needed to customize a lot of stuff to get everything working nice in 3D. Would be great to see this game (and future games based on the same engine) in native 3d.
craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by craylon »

as a nvidia 3d vision owner I'd really like to compare the s3d quality versus nvidias drivers or if there is no such quality difference the performance of the game with native against nvidias stereo support.

the engine of course looks beautifull both ways.
I am playing aion, an mmo based on cryengine 2 I believe, and its one of the best stereo experiences I could find so if they can even up the s3d by going native it must really be awesome.
Neil

Post by Neil »

S-3D gaming quality and performance is only half the equation. Game developers are artists and they want to support this technology on all solutions. As artists, they want the means to pass on the left and right image exactly the way they want without middleware drivers by iZ3D, DDD, or NVIDIA estimating what their art should look like.

It's not a question of making the game run faster or making it look better, though these are anticipated benefits. It's a matter of giving more visual control directly to the game developer the same way they are able to control the experience in traditional 2D gaming.

Habib Zargarpour's segment should be up later today - I think you will find this equally interesting. Habib is the Senior Art Director for Electronic Arts.

Regards,
Neil
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I couldn't hear it in the video : does Crytek plans to release the patches to make Crysis and Crysis warhead playable in 3D ?
Or will there be some way to import the Crysis campaign in the next game using Cry engine 3 ?
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Neil did you get any hints on the supported hardware yet? I was just remembering that ddc page flipping was an nvidia secret and probably wont be any easier for crytek to crack than anyone else :cry:
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Crysis did not come up in conversation in relation to this.

I'm not in a position to answer the other questions yet, but the first step is to figure out what the game developers want.

Regards,
Neil
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

craylon wrote:I am playing aion, an mmo based on cryengine 2 I believe, and its one of the best stereo experiences I could find so if they can even up the s3d by going native it must really be awesome.
Craylon I have not seen AION yet, but the developers are supposed to be at dragoncon along with some other new MMO's and I will find out what I can if they are doing anything s3d wise. Neil needs to get over there and bump heads with some people. You guys have to come to siggraph, seeing this on a 20 foot screen is really heart pumping! It truly was gaming history! All of these developers were so passionate, and Neil got them to talk about their history, starting into programming at very young ages, 12 or 14. These are the people going to bring the matrix to us! The 3D effects of the cliff rocks blasting out at you as they broke off from the explosion in the crytek engine, really slick!

Neil I am looking at the siggraph encore dvd from 2008, I don't see anything about you or s3d, what am i missing? What exactly was done at siggraph s3d wise in previous years?
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by craylon »

martinlandau wrote:
craylon wrote:I am playing aion, an mmo based on cryengine 2 I believe, and its one of the best stereo experiences I could find so if they can even up the s3d by going native it must really be awesome.
Craylon I have not seen AION yet, but the developers are supposed to be at dragoncon along with some other new MMO's and I will find out what I can if they are doing anything s3d wise. Neil needs to get over there and bump heads with some people. You guys have to come to siggraph, seeing this on a 20 foot screen is really heart pumping! It truly was gaming history! All of these developers were so passionate, and Neil got them to talk about their history, starting into programming at very young ages, 12 or 14. These are the people going to bring the matrix to us! The 3D effects of the cliff rocks blasting out at you as they broke off from the explosion in the crytek engine, really slick!

Neil I am looking at the siggraph encore dvd from 2008, I don't see anything about you or s3d, what am i missing? What exactly was done at siggraph s3d wise in previous years?
i have some stereoshots of the game at my blog at http://craylon.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wich reminds me of yet another thing that needs some serious updating.
the gane ran pretty much out of the box with my nvidia 3d vision glasses. at the beginning there was a problem with high res images and nvidias stereo viewer but that sees to be fixed now so i may reupload some screens wo scaling them 1st.

as for siggraph, thats a bit far away for me but im at the gamescom in cologne on friday sniffing around for any s3d impressions i can get my eyes on (even tough my hopes arent that high)
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I think aion is (only) Cry engine 1 if I remember correctly.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
Neil

Post by Neil »

Last year I co-presented with Mark Rein, Co-Founder of Epic Games (Unreal Tournament Series, Gears of War). That was also a game developers' spectacle, though this year was much bigger. We also showed Bioshock in S-3D on the big screen. Unfortunately, nobody taped the Computer Animation Festival last year.

Regards,
Neil
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Neil wrote:Last year I co-presented with Mark Rein, Co-Founder of Epic Games (Unreal Tournament Series, Gears of War). That was also a game developers' spectacle, though this year was much bigger. We also showed Bioshock in S-3D on the big screen. Unfortunately, nobody taped the Computer Animation Festival last year.

Regards,
Neil
What a trajedy, a piece of history lost. They document they have the panel: http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/attendees/caf/3d/3.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - maybe they had a camera going no one here knows about.
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “MTBS Newswire”