Walt Disney Interactive Releasing G-Force Video Game

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Walt Disney Interactive Releasing G-Force Video Game

Post by Neil »

Some good news for stereoscopic 3D gaming! Disney has been growing more and more aggressive in their efforts to off-shoot their S-3D movie titles with equivalent S-3D video games.

The UK gaming site MCV reports the latest in their line-up is G-Force, and and will be followed by Toy Story Mania in the fall. When Toy Story Mania was announced, our sources told us that it would be anaglyph only, and we suspect G-Force will be the same.

This begs the question: is releasing stereoscopic 3D games like this good for the industry, or are we inadvertently reaffirming the image that S-3D should be associated with red/blue glasses that are criticized in the media all too often? Share your thoughts!

Regards,
Neil
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Re: Walt Disney Interactive Releasing G-Force Video Game

Post by staticbuddha »

I cant see either game being just in 3D ( anaglyph ) myself. It would seem crazy to do this, for many years to come or even ever. like even in 10 years when 3DTV's are mainstream and the next gen of 3D Consoles are released it still would not make sense in my eyes. If by having 3D only in a game, cuts of even 0.1% of gamers it would be a huge loss considering the gaming industry was worth $22billion last year alone.

However I agree that selling a game with anaglyph can be damaging, as without a doubt having several solutions for anything will be confusing. However Im sure that when someone sees next gen 3D Gaming in a game like Avatar being demo this will defuse this timebomb.

Its quite funny, theres a advert for a deoderant in the UK and obviolsy they have caught on to 3D becoming popular so now you can get deodorant with 3D protection. LOL :)

Neil

Post by Neil »

It's still going to work in 2D. Anaglyph S-3D is an option.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I think this is fine. I mean, they are releasing popular Blu-ray DVDs in anaglyph and this is not so different. The main thing should be to appeal to the masses and honestly they just don't own 3D HDTVs yet. Even the small percentage of people that do have the 3D sets probably aren't in their market demographic anyways. So for the time being I think they should push anaglyph as much as they can to garner interest into 3D from the laymen and then sell them on the full experience for a higher price. With the popularity of 3D movies I think most people will know its not just about anaglyph anymore.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Its just terrible. Think about every 3d review you see where they talk about the bad old days of anaglyph, well here we still are. It was a horrible gimmick then, it still is today.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:Yeah, I think this is fine. I mean, they are releasing popular Blu-ray DVDs in anaglyph and this is not so different. The main thing should be to appeal to the masses and honestly they just don't own 3D HDTVs yet. Even the small percentage of people that do have the 3D sets probably aren't in their market demographic anyways. So for the time being I think they should push anaglyph as much as they can to garner interest into 3D from the laymen and then sell them on the full experience for a higher price. With the popularity of 3D movies I think most people will know its not just about anaglyph anymore.
I agree. While not ideal, at least it exposes people to S3D in games. Within a year or so I believe it will be rare to find someone who doesn't know or hasn't experienced a form of S3D that is not in anaglyph. So it's really just a tool to get people to realize that games can be S3D too... not just movies.
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

might be old skool news but It appears that Nvidia is going to ship red/blue glasses with all ther geforce cards

nvidia discover : http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d_vision_discover.html
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

Okta wrote:Its just terrible. Think about every 3d review you see where they talk about the bad old days of anaglyph, well here we still are. It was a horrible gimmick then, it still is today.
I'd rather appreciate every effort to break the classic "chicken and egg" problem of stereoscopic gaming, that is "low demand for stereoscopic content because of low demand for quality stereo hardware because of lack of stereo content and quality stereo hardware" :)

While anaglyph is surely not as good as polarized or shutter glasses, the whole point is to get people acquainted with the stereoscopic gaming. As more and more people go watch stereoscopic movies on high-quality stereo, they will no longer associate stereoscopy with anaglyph solutions. Their natural reaction will be to test this experience in gaming, and Disney is providing just that - a game designed from the ground up with the stereo in mind and playable in stereo on current-generation consoles.

Remember, most gamers have never experienced stereo, they are either lazy or not qualified enough to set up anaglyph stereo drivers on their PCs, so getting anaglyph to the consoles is an important step. Even if most players will turn anaglyph rendering off after just a few hours, they will not forget the experience and this will drive the demand for high quality consumer stereoscopic devices.
staticbuddha wrote:nvidia discover : http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d_vision_discover.html
Yes, the same strategy - get people discover stereo gaming with cheap anaglyph glasses and stereo driver available right in the box, then point them to a higher quality solution.
lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by lnrrgb »

and the fact that this game marks the transition of S3D to PS3 is very cool in my book - wish it was not just anaglyph though.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”