Blitz Games Studios, Crytek, EA, and MTBS Talk S-3D Gaming

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Blitz Games Studios, Crytek, EA, and MTBS Talk S-3D Gaming

Post by Neil »

History will be made at SIGGRAPH 2009 this year.

Blitz Games Studios, Crytek, Electronic Arts, and Meant to be Seen will be jointly speaking at a special S-3D gaming panel at this year's SIGGRAPH in New Orleans. Expect some surprises if all goes to plan (is that an oxymoron?).

Share your thoughts! What questions would you like asked? I will be the moderator.

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Blitz Games Studios, Crytek, EA, and MTBS Talk S-3D Gaming

Post by Likay »

Well done!

This can be really interesting!
Crytek seems to implement stereoscopic 3d in the new cryengine and hopefully there might be a "competitive" athmosphere where hopefully EA and Blitz catches on. Whos game is gonna look the best? In 3D!
Could we hope for a such evolution? :P
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

I sound intresting, I realy want to come....

But it is on the wrong half of the globe... My Car still can't fly... (Also I have no more unspend vacation days for this year at work...)

I'm loking forwart to the Video feed ;)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That looks like an impressive line-up there. With all the buzz surrounding S3D you think some developers have got to bite. Hopefully this will be the catalyst in getting native stereo support in upcoming games.
Neil

Post by Neil »

You can Digg it here:

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Electronic_ ... _3D_Gaming" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Neil
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

I like the sound of this.

It's the crunching sound of a big snowball starting to roll :mrgreen:
snarfbot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by snarfbot »

wow awesome, im sure all the other major game engines will have to do something similar to keep up with the joneses.

very exciting news indeed!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

I wonder about native support. How many modes and displays will be supported? Will this kill off prospects of future wrapper developement and leave us with a handfull of s3d games to play?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Ok Neil, you talked me into it. I will come to siggraph in new orleans and see you. I need more info though. I am a long time ACM member but have never attended a siggraph conference. So please bring me and the rest up to speed. What particular hotels are the panels going to be in. What hotels should we try and get reservations in - which one are you staying in? Which panels are you going to attend outside of the ones you are hosting? I figure if they are cool enough to be attended by you, the rest of can follow. From a cursory glance I see there are different pricing levels. What in your opinion is the least expensive option to get 90% of the s3d exposure for 10% of the cost, IE I don't want to pay for the platinum level luxury model if the economy model will get me just as far. Any highlights or after hours activities/functions you think will be interesting to attend during the week? Anyone else besides Neil that wants to share some info, I am all ears. What other gems or tidbits can you throw to a stereoscoper that is coming to this conference at the last minute?? If I tell them that Neil of MTBS3D sent me, am I going to get any discounts? ;)

The last time I went to new orleans was just before katrina hit - had some family members riding with me and a couple fellow workers, as I was going into the city the traffic heading east on I10 was simply astounding. Some nice looking lady was walking around downtown and I asked her if she would need a ride to escape the coming flooding, she said she would rather be dead than ride with us - LOL! I think it took us over 20 hours to just get to the state border to evacuate. It was not as choatic as I had anticipated - we were attracted like a moth to the flame. I am glad to see ACM bring much needed economic help to the area. Brad and Angelina can't do it alone!
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neil

Post by Neil »

This is great news!

I'll try to get you more information later, but try to stay in convention center area. My number one recommendation is priceline.com - we have had a lot of success with this service.

I don't know about the pricing, but you need to make sure you have access to the Computer Animation Festival. Ours will be the first two sessions on August 6th, and they start at 8:30AM.

We have never been to New Orleans, so this is a new experience for us.

Regards,
Neil
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Neil I am trying to get a schedule of all the films and presenters that will be talking about computer animation and on what days so I can setup my calendar. The link below says in June this info will be provided, but it is not there. Can you help get that information?

http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/computer_ ... /index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the stereo3d section from the main page says there will be panels on thursday and friday - but there is no link to get specific schedule information like for other panels.

http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/attendees ... /index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there going to be any s3d panels on friday or not?

Also Neil, it seems a one day pass for the computer animation festival is required to see you on thursday, there is nothing you can do for MTBS3D members such as myself for discounts or packages?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Martin,

This is the Computer Animation Festival link with a focus on stereoscopic 3D content:

http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/computer_ ... /index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know, the SIGGRAPH website is somewhat confusing.

I don't have any pull with SIGGRAPH for MTBS members, etc. I know for speakers, we only got complimentary access to the festival on the day we are presenting, and a discount on additional registration. They are very stringent on this.

Regards,
Neil
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Hey Neil, thanks for the info - this is you:

The Masters Speak: Game Developers Weigh in on True 3D Gaming
Thursday, 6 August | 8:30 - 10:15 am, Rooms 271-273

But look at these other 2 panels, which I think we could all benefit from - damn shame they coincide at the same time - I guess it is too late to reschedule anything :( I will definitely make yours, but I wish I could see all 3 of these panels.

3D to the Home: What Can Possibly Go Wrong?
Peter Ludé
Senior Vice President, Engineering, Sony Electronics
Executive Vice President, SMPTE
Board of Directors ITVS
Thursday, 6 August | 8:30 - 9:15 am, Rooms 260-262

There are over two million 3D-ready televisions already in US households, but the industry remains divided about delivering stereoscopic content to the home. How much programming will be available, how will it be delivered, and by when? Will consumers need to wear those funny glasses? Will the world adopt 3D standards, or will competing formats emerge? Will the images on the small screen look as good as in the cinema? Peter Ludé will review these thorny topics and address the technical, business, and creative decisions that will be required over the next few years in the transition to 3DTV.

Visual Storytelling in Three Dimensions
Bob Whitehill
Stereoscopic Supervisor, Pixar Animation Studios
Thursday, 6 August | 9:15 - 10 am, Rooms 260-262

In combination with other visual techniques such as color and composition, stereography (if used wisely) can enhance mood, evoke emotion, and draw an audience further into a film's story. Using examples from "UP", "Toy Story", and "Toy Story 2", Bob Whitehill discusses the use of 3D as a visual storytelling device in Pixar's films.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Peter will be doing an encore right after my presentation as part of a standards panel. I'm sure he will repeat some of the key points as a panelist.

Thank you for going to my panel! EA, Crytek, Blitz - everybody is pulling out all the stops. I'm crossing my fingers that everything goes as planned.

Regards,
Neil
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

I am almost in new orleans Neil, I bought the week long computer animation festival per your recommendation, 175 for us ACM members. You were right about that priceline, siggraph had already shut down their travel desk by july24 and I was late to the party. So I had Shatner do some chop chop negotiations and got a 3 star hotel for just over 40 bucks a night! I had no idea Shatner could score such great rates. Now I can afford some 5 star creole restaurants and some siggraph courses with all those savings!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Priceline is amazing if you know what you are doing. Also check out restaurant.com. The savings are better when you are traveling with more than one person. Just be sure to read the restaurant reviews before making commitments.

We are still rushing around here getting ready for SIGGRAPH. I hope you enjoy it! We have a lot planned for S-3D gaming.

Regards,
Neil
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Restaurants.com, I will check it out, you have any ideas for things I should check out monday and tuesday before you get here? People or panels or exhibitors I should make a point to see?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Tough one. We won't be there until late Tuesday night, and are going to be very focused on testing, testing, testing before the presentation. Please share your experiences with the community.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “MTBS Newswire”