MTBS Exclusive: S-3D Console Gaming in 2009!

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

MTBS Exclusive: S-3D Console Gaming in 2009!

Post by Neil »

Read the main news story here:

http://mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/rss.cgi?news_id=250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now what? :P

Regards,
Neil
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: MTBS Exclusive: S-3D Console Gaming in 2009!

Post by pixel67 »

Sweet! Can't wait! I wonder what technology Sony will be using in the upgrade (licensed from TDVision or self developed). Hurry up 2009!
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

"Spread the word. 3D Gaming on console is coming and we license the tech." - Andrew Oliver, CTO of Blitz Games Studios
Who license the tech to who? Blitz Games license their tech to Sony? Sony license the tech to Blitz Games?
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm just taking an educated guess here. Blitz Tech is a game engine, so this is more likely licensed to other game developers.

Regards,
Neil
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

Post by Killigath »

Fantastic news! This and Playstation Home will really help the PS3 over next year. Finally my PS3 can be more than a Blu-Ray Player!

Show me the $tereoscopy!!!!!!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I bet both ps3 and the 360 is capable of 3d. If it hits the market as 3d-compatibles i surely will have a go on one of them. I don't know if it's possible to run with dual projectors though. Do they have two video outputs? :D

However: Great news and this is one major thing to show 3d to the "ordinary" gamers. Consoles always had a more "insert game and play" friendly way than the pc is ever going to have. A simple option to enable 3d on a console will get a lot of people on the 3d-train!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Great news, but I'll believe it when I see it. Still, its something I guess.
Doom Lord
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Doom Lord »

Wow - At least there is one good reason to look forward to 2009.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Wait... what kind of S3D? What about the TVs, will I need a special one, or will any LCD/Plasma do?
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Cool, you will be able to blow buckets of money down a s3d setup for your console just as it is superseeded by the next piece of crap :)
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

Likay wrote:I bet both ps3 and the 360 is capable of 3d. If it hits the market as 3d-compatibles i surely will have a go on one of them. I don't know if it's possible to run with dual projectors though. Do they have two video outputs? :D

However: Great news and this is one major thing to show 3d to the "ordinary" gamers. Consoles always had a more "insert game and play" friendly way than the pc is ever going to have. A simple option to enable 3d on a console will get a lot of people on the 3d-train!
I agree S3D console game development is a good move for the gaming industry as a whole, as well as specifically for S3D. The reason I say this is that I have a lot of young and middle-aged cashrich gaming friends who have moved away from the technically intimidating PC towards the more user-friendly consoles.

Most, if not all friends, have multiple consoles (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 Nintendo Wii) and sometimes two or three of the same console for their console LAN parties which some of them even host in their reasonably sized homes.

So anything to get them into S3D as easy as possible I think is a winner and will eventually mean them returning to there underused (except for Photoshop etc) high-end PC's for S3D gaming when as they say "things become a little clearer in the future with 120Khz 3D & Plasma non-glasses 3D TV/monitors start to show a clear direction as to which S3D gaming format the industry will use", but I and they have been known to be wrong?
n81
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by n81 »

Not exactly an exclusive when http://******.com ran this story three weeks ago.

HERE IT IS: http://******.com/479/3d-gaming/3d-plays ... -headlines" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :(
koshien

Post by koshien »

n81 wrote:Not exactly an exclusive when http://******.com ran this story three weeks ago.

HERE IT IS: http://******.com/479/3d-gaming/3d-plays ... -headlines" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :(
Nice website ******.com
But the news is this one:
"I have received confirmation from Blitz Games Studios that Sony "fully intends" to support stereoscopic 3D gaming and Blu-ray 3D on the Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) in 2009.
The best part is console support will only need a bios upgrade to work, and we are told that the ability to add this capability via bios may be unique to Sony PS3 versus the other console solutions."

So... you are wrong since that ****** news was referred to another slightly different story. Did that news even mention 3D blu-ray besides a wish to have it?
Let's give to Caesar what is Caesar's :lol: ...everyone has his own merits.
Why this website war?
mtbs3d and ****** are both very good website and I check them daily.
Bye :wink:
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Why the censoring? It's just a news/blog site.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Neil

Post by Neil »

It's unfortunate that this was necessary.

What's his name (N81) first introduced himself on MTBS by posting his URL all over our forums without even a message attached. I sent him a kind PM asking him not to do it, though he was welcome to participate. He didn't respond.

Actually, he did respond. He posted his URL in our chat window - again without an attached message. So, I activated the word censor...THEN he responded to my PM! :P

He was extra nice, apologized for his behavior, and I went so far as to offer to have him contribute some writing to us on condition that I saw him be a more positive contributor in the forums. I kept all these PMs, by the way, and looking at his current post count, that hasn't happened.

When U-DECIDE initial results were revealed, he put MTBS and U-DECIDE down. Called it a big YAWN, etc. etc. He later changed his story when he realized how foolish he looked, I'm sure. Now, his contribution to the MTBS forums is to discredit our stories, and try to drive traffic to his site by putting others down.

His bad karma deeds speak volumes, and I don't want to waste any more forum space on this individual.

Regards,
Neil
NOAH
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NOAH »

It seems logical to me that the PS3 would use nVidia's upcoming tech as the basis for driving the S3d. The PS3 has a custom nVidia GPU after all. Plus... if done correctly.. I can envision some backwards compatibility with existing titles. It would also exclude the Xbox 360 from following suit since they have an ATI GPU.
Giz3D

MTBS3D vs Poor Little GIZ :)

Post by Giz3D »

Hi MTBS3D fans, Editor of ******.com here (the website formerly known as ***.com) :)
Given the recent "website war" (as brilliantly put by koshien) and the fact that Neil has taken the step to censor any member of MTBS3D from linking to our site. I thought I would take the time to respond from our end (*** that is).
Neil wrote:It's unfortunate that this was necessary
Neil,
I agree that it is unfortunate that you think blocking our URL is necessary. We have previously credit linked stories back to MTBS3D (and will continue to do so) because at *** we aim to be honest with our audience and will report on all 3D news (we are not interested in trying to hide or censor other 3D information resources from getting publicity).
One such post (linking to MTBS3D) was the one you refered to about the preliminary results of your U-Decide survey. When I looked at the preliminary results of 'U-Decide' I found nothing really that surprised me (did you?) So I wrote exactly that. I originally titled the post something along the lines of "U-Decide Survey Preliminary Results.. Yawn" (which simply sumed up 'my opinon'). Yes, I later removed the word "Yawn" from the title, not because "I realized how foolish I looked" (as you suggest) But because I figured you may be overly sensitive and judging by your response saying "I put MTBS and U-DECIDE down" I was right. I apologize that I didn't find the early results of your incomplete survey fascinating and I will try harder to appreciate the real results when they are published. :wink:
As you can probably tell, I don't take the matter that seriously. I write a blog, that's all. I am not interested in turf wars (though I have definately enjoyed the debate).

I certainly hold no grudge over the matter and I truly hope that you haven't taken this personally.

Perhaps one day we will meet in person, maybe at CES (if you are attending).

Thanks for your time,
"This Individual"
editor@******.com

PS. as a side note...
Giz has grown in leaps and bounds over the past couple months and we have forged many strong relationships with manufacturers in the 3D technology industry. Our web traffic has increased over ten fold in the last two weeks alone and our subscriber base continues to sky rocket.
I would like to be able to say that this was solely due to our brilliant stories, but that would be a lie. What has helped us grow is the heavy promotion done last month (including posting our URL on MTBS3D) this where the whole issue began and I have already previously apologised for the tact I took in promoting Giz. That being said, over 80% of traffic refered from MTBS to us has resulted in regularly returning vistors. Quite simply, the MTBS3D fans that looked at Giz, liked what they saw and came back again. So it is not as if we are some completely unrelated product annoying MTBS3D members.
metalqueen

Post by metalqueen »

I think this is the mentality that Neil was talking about....the less we keep talking about it the better. :roll:
This thread is about the exciting news about PS3! :D Let's stay on topic here, and keep it friendly.

Thanks!

MQ
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Noah!

I'm unconvinced that the PS3 will use NVIDIA's S-3D technology. GPUs, yes, software - no. The whole idea behind console is that it's a plug and play medium with a cookie cutter experience. So far, all the S-3D work has been customized by the game developer (e.g. Blitz). The NVIDIA work you are thinking of is their stereoscopic 3D drivers that capture DirectX calls on PC and extrapolate what an S-3D image should look like. I'm unconvinced that this would work for console gaming.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

With the stereo3d scene so small as it is we should all be working together toward a greater goal and not fighting amongst ourselves. Just my 2 cents.
metalqueen

Post by metalqueen »

I completely agree, cybereality.

Neil did nothing here. This whole thing was started with someone who felt compelled to start trouble where there was none. I don't see Neil going and posting rude things on his blog. Do you?

Let's move on, and not give this matter anymore attention. The more we talk about it, the more it continues to fester. I for one am sick of this petty crap. We have way more important things to discuss here. The PS3 news that Neil exclusively broke last week is what we should be talking about here. Let's stay on topic.

Thanks! :)

MQ
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.
NOAH
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NOAH »

I'm unconvinced that the PS3 will use NVIDIA's S-3D technology. GPUs, yes, software - no. The whole idea behind console is that it's a plug and play medium with a cookie cutter experience. So far, all the S-3D work has been customized by the game developer (e.g. Blitz). The NVIDIA work you are thinking of is their stereoscopic 3D drivers that capture DirectX calls on PC and extrapolate what an S-3D image should look like. I'm unconvinced that this would work for console gaming.
I was thinking of nVidia's stereoscopic 3D drivers. I know they can only work with DirectX but what API does the PS3 use? Probably openGL or some homebrew (I don't know). Anyway... wouldn't the easiest cookie cutter solution be to apply the nVidia Stereoscopic drivers to extrapolate the S-3D image via the systems API. Hmmm... I'm pretty new to this so I can't say I know how this would work either :P Just brainstorming!

The idea of game developers specifically designing games for a (3D) mode would be exiting. But outside of Sony Exclusives (which there are few) I don't see this happening. Although Sony might opt for this method out of desperation to give the PS3 some power over the Xbox. But... again... it's a hard sell either way. How would Sony market this to average consumers?
Okta

Post by Okta »

It will most likely be the same old. A few games will come out with stereo support and people will buy the hardware to support it and be stuck with 3 games to play. Then the next console will be out, rinse and repeat.

How old is some of the stereo hardware people on this site still use on there pc's?

Consoles are for ADD kids.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Okta wrote:Consoles are for ADD kids.
I don't agree. I've got both a pc, an Xbox 360 and a Wii. I play more on the Xbox 360 than the pc. The Wii is a bit of a gadget. I was interested for a time but I don't use it anymore even if I have a few games that I have yet to complete.

My Xbox 360 can always play the games well while my computer needs me to buy a new video card once in a while or else I need to suffer ugly graphics.

Take GRID for example. I tried the Xbox 360 demo. I played at a resolution of 1280x720 and it was really pretty and fluid. I got the pc version and it's the opposite experience. I won't be able to enjoy the game until I upgrade my video card.

ssiu

Post by ssiu »

What I want to know from Sony the most at this time, is what kind of S3D output format PS3 will support. From a consumer's viewpoint, the HDTV is usually the most expensive piece of equipment by far. I've often read people commenting on S-3D Blu-Ray / broadcast / games etc. by saying something like, "if it requires a new TV then forget it, NO WAY will I buy another TV when I just got mine 6 months ago", and I can't disagree with that thinking.

It will really hurt if someone got a 3D DLP HDTV now thinking that PS3 will support it, and then discover PS3 won't support checkerboard for some reason. (I hope Sony won't try some proprietary S3D output format that only new 2009 Sony HDTVs will support!!)
Okta

Post by Okta »

Tril wrote:
I don't agree. I've got both a pc, an Xbox 360 and a Wii. I play more on the Xbox 360 than the pc. The Wii is a bit of a gadget. I was interested for a time but I don't use it anymore even if I have a few games that I have yet to complete.

My Xbox 360 can always play the games well while my computer needs me to buy a new video card once in a while or else I need to suffer ugly graphics.

Take GRID for example. I tried the Xbox 360 demo. I played at a resolution of 1280x720 and it was really pretty and fluid. I got the pc version and it's the opposite experience. I won't be able to enjoy the game until I upgrade my video card.
Sounds like you have a really old crummy vid card. Just imagine the pc you could be running if you didnt waste your money on an Xsux and Wii?
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Okta wrote:
Tril wrote:

Sounds like you have a really old crummy vid card. Just imagine the pc you could be running if you didnt waste your money on an Xsux and Wii?
There's nothing that says that you can't buy it all. The Xbox 360 and the Wii were both gifts. I buy my games though. I've got an NVIDIA 8600 GT with 256 MB of memory. I just ordered an ATI 4850 with 1GB of memory.

Many parents buy games and consoles for their kids but they are not always very knowledgeable about it all. I saw something I found funny today in an electronics store. A client holding a DDR game box (the box includes the floor pad and there's a picture of it on the box) asked a salesman if it was a Wii fit. :D

ssiu

Post by ssiu »

ssiu wrote:What I want to know from Sony the most at this time, is what kind of S3D output format PS3 will support. From a consumer's viewpoint, the HDTV is usually the most expensive piece of equipment by far. I've often read people commenting on S-3D Blu-Ray / broadcast / games etc. by saying something like, "if it requires a new TV then forget it, NO WAY will I buy another TV when I just got mine 6 months ago", and I can't disagree with that thinking.

It will really hurt if someone got a 3D DLP HDTV now thinking that PS3 will support it, and then discover PS3 won't support checkerboard for some reason. (I hope Sony won't try some proprietary S3D output format that only new 2009 Sony HDTVs will support!!)
To give another example, Samsung's 3D plasmas (PN42A450, PN50A450) support checkerboard, horizontal interleaved AND vertical interleaved, so it may seem to be a safer bet (i.e. PS3 has good chance of supporting at least one of the three S3D formats). But Samsung manual states that to support S3D, the input signal must be 1024x768 (PN42A450, PN50A450) or 1360x768 (PN50A450 only). The PS3's HDMI does not output such signals, but only 480p/720p/1080p. So it's back to great doubt about whether PS3 will support S3D on those plasmas.

Hopefully there will be various announcements during 2009 CES that will clarify the HDTV support picture.
NOAH
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NOAH »

How hard would it be for the PS3 to output a custom resolution? I think it would be a fairly straightforward process accomplished through a firmware update. Guess We'll have to wait and see. Hopefully something will surface at CES but I'm not holding my breath.
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

NOAH wrote:How hard would it be for the PS3 to output a custom resolution? I think it would be a fairly straightforward process accomplished through a firmware update. Guess We'll have to wait and see. Hopefully something will surface at CES but I'm not holding my breath.
My understanding is that the PS3 has no hardware scaler (unlike the Xbox360; and this is an oversight on Sony's part), and so it is not as straightforward to support a custom resolution as it should be. I'm sure it can be done with enough effort; but will Sony spend the effort for those customer resolutions that only 2 particular HDTV from a competitor (Samsung) needs? I highly doubt it.

My guess is that (if Sony is really interested in supporting S3D) Sony will have S3D support on some of their 2009 HDTVs. The PS3 will support those Sony HDTVs, and anything from competitors that are similar to the Sony HDTVs will work. If Sony has a 1080p S3D HDTV then PS3 will support it; if the Sony uses checkerboard then the PS3 will work with the 1080p DLP S3D HDTVs too. If Sony has a 720p (which is actually 1366x768) S3D HDTV then the Samsung plasmas may work too; otherwise it probably won't work.

But yes all these are just speculations. I am waiting impatiently for some real news (really hoping to buy the "ideal" S3D HDTV ...)
NOAH
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NOAH »

Hmmm... Hard to believe that the PS3 doesn't have a hardware Scaler. That is a pretty big oversight.
In other news... I just read an article that a new Sony LCD has emerged with 240hz processing. The author seemed to imply it's just hype... but.. could it be that this is the TV that is going to be compatible with PS3 S3D. Who knows...
I hope Sony Finds a way to make the PS3 S3d Compatible with as many TV's as possible. If it's really going to take off, then there needs to be a lot of support across the board. Blu Ray would have died long ago if Sony made it exclusive to Sony TV's.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”