Acer H5360 PJ. Rave reviews.

slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Acer H5360 PJ. Rave reviews.

Post by slipstream »

It seems that there are many happy owners of acer's new 3D pj. Anyone here have one?
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Acer H5360 PJ. Rave reviews.

Post by Xerion »

I have ordered one, but it hasn't been shipped yet. Will put up some of my experiences when it's here :)
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
craylon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by craylon »

As a gift to myself I bought an Acer H5360 for Christmas

Heres some first impressions using the PJ under Vista 64 with Nvidias 3D Vision on a Geoforce 8800gt

cons:
compared to my old Sanyo PLV3000 beamer I miss having stuff like lens shift, good zoom and of course 1080p
the image the acer throws is not bad (btw I dont notice any rainbow effect at all) but for me its very limited in terms of throwing distance and zoom. to fill out my screen (2.50m with) i had to move it to a far wall and where i could use my sanyo mounted under the ceiling, I had to place the acer at around the vertical center of the canvas to avoid to much image distortion.
see here for details about the throwing distance: http://www.acer-euro.com/pjcalculator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pros:
- good image quality for a beamer in that price range
- awesome 3d effect with 0 ghosting
- pretty much portable

the pros definitly overweight the cons for me at this time.
I was always sceptical reading other dlp users talking about that they don't see ghosting. I'm converted now :)
I would even go so far to tell anyone that wants to start with stereoscopic home usage to completely skip the samsung synch master (or any other pc monitor sollution) and go with a dlp if there is room.
Everything from movies (well samples anyway, give us real content !!!!!) to computer games (tested so fa: aion, tomb raider, price of persia, assasin creed, pro evolution soccer and a few more) the lack of ghosting for me even is better then the increase of screen size and with the games i played so far I could live with the pretty low resolution of 1280x720.

As a sidenote the Acer worked fine for me for 1 day over my HDMI cable when I got him.
Then on the second day it was not recogniced any more (only in the stereo driver) and even after a day of cleaning drivers and reinstalling stuff i couldnt get it to work again. So atm I'm using it over VGA wich works fine but I'm wondering if something broke or if I messed up the drivers somehow.

Well to sum it up, I'm extremely happy I bought the Acer but I'm also looking forward to next christmas to maybe get a 1080p projector with a bit more flexibility.
slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Post by slipstream »

Great review thanks. I have heard that acer are producing a full HD spec PJ to be released sometime this year. I might wait for that.

I believe that the H5360 uses checkerboard method which halves the res, which is why I will wait for full HD.
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

According to some people over at the nvidia forums it can do both checkerboard AND frame sequential. Also this claim is bolstered by the fact that you don't need a vesa cable and other people have bought one of the new optoma's (which seem to use the same chipset as the acer) which are not supported by the drivers yet, but works fine in CRT-mode, which is of course proper frame seq.
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Post by slipstream »

So, frame seq mantains the res?
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

Got the projector this morning. It does indeed do true page-flipping (frame-seq) @ 120Hz so no resolution loss in 3D. The nvidia stereo drivers just recognized the projector without any hassle (using the latest beta). The stereo mode it sets itself to is CRT-mode, as expected.

Now to my playing experiences so far. The 120Hz is much nicer on my eyes than the 85Hz of my XR-10X; especially when looking at my surroundings instead of the screen. Also there is less ghosting even than on the XR-10X, however it is not completely 0. On my own character and moving npc's I saw a very faint ghost image when the environment was very bright (In Assassin's Creed, at the beginning when you return from the cave). I doubt I will ever really be distracted by it.

Something that is a bit more annoying which was not present on my XR-10X is the rainbow effect. I noticed it when making fast movements and I also notice it if I move my eyes over the screen fast with a still image. I do however think I will get used to it and it won't really be a problem.

An issue I did have on the XR-10X was the projector never being completely in sync with the projector which caused a few problems. Firstly there was parallax inversion and as nvidia doesn't offer a switch I had to wear the glasses upside down. Secondly it caused more ghosting than would happen with better sync and lastly there was a discoloring of the entire scene (If I remember correctly it became a bit purple). With the VGA delay dongle from nextstepsolutions I managed to get a better sync with no more parallax inversion, less ghosting (although not as low as the H5360 seems to give) and no discolouring, however the last one was a tradeoff because I could get less ghosting if I left the screen discoloured somewhat (could affect which color by setting a different sync heh).

Another issue with the XR-10X was to actually get the 3d vision setup to enable 3d and not change resolutions and refresh rates to unsupported ones. This was quite a bit of hassle.

All in all the H5360 is much easier to use and the 120Hz as opposed to 85, as well as almost no ghosting it seems a step up from the XR-10X (at least for stereogaming), unless I turn out to be allergic to the rainbow effect after all.

Comparing the projector to solutions with small ;) LCD monitors there is only one thing the LCD's do better; they need much less space. Apart from that it's no comparison. Life-size games bring much more immersion which is way more important than the higher resolution an LCD might have. And then we aren't even talking about the ghosting issues yet.

Right, I'm done talking for now, if you have any questions about the projector just post them and I'll try to answer.
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

yes, yes, i have a few questions!

- you say it work with a full 720p res.120Hz mode, does it mean, that the signal in the hdmi cable is a true 120Hz signal, without any trick (checkerboard, etc), and not the projector double the incoming 60Hz signal? (like the christie projectors do)
- in the future (maybe next year, so tomorrow :) ), is it possible to have a full hd 120Hz projector, or the 720p is the current limit of the hdmi bandwith?

- will this PJ work withe edimensional glasses over VGA cable, like a regular 120Hz CRT display?
When connecting with hdmi cable, the vga dongle will not carry signal for my shutterglass.
(i have a 7600GT card with 162.50 drivers, and use this setup with CRT)
but if not necessary, i wouldnt buy a 3d vision kit, instead a wireless edimensional glass, if the ghosting is also very low with it.
-how loud is in ECO mode compared for example to Infocus X9? (when viewing standard 2D movies)
-what about 100Hz 3D mode? (for viewing 50i HDV signals i need 100Hz)
-what about 24p? Can it work in 720/24p or in 1080/24p?

thx!
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

relaxman wrote:yes, yes, i have a few questions!

- you say it work with a full 720p res.120Hz mode, does it mean, that the signal in the hdmi cable is a true 120Hz signal, without any trick (checkerboard, etc), and not the projector double the incoming 60Hz signal? (like the christie projectors do)

On nvidia forums it's confirmed the 120Hz works through HDMI; I'm using vga myself. Also if it would just double the signal the 3d would not work, also it can't be using checkerboard as the nvidia drivers are set to crt mode.

- in the future (maybe next year, so tomorrow :) ), is it possible to have a full hd 120Hz projector, or the 720p is the current limit of the hdmi bandwith?

I don't know about whether HDMI 1.3 has enough bandwidth but 1.4 surely will.

- will this PJ work withe edimensional glasses over VGA cable, like a regular 120Hz CRT display?
When connecting with hdmi cable, the vga dongle will not carry signal for my shutterglass.
(i have a 7600GT card with 162.50 drivers, and use this setup with CRT)
but if not necessary, i wouldnt buy a 3d vision kit, instead a wireless edimensional glass, if the ghosting is also very low with it.

I did this in vga with my XR-10X@85Hz, I have not tried it yet with this pj at 120Hz, I think it should work though, I'll test it when I find some time. (With wired e-dimensionals and another eye 2000's, my wireless e-dims are sadly broken.

-how loud is in ECO mode compared for example to Infocus X9? (when viewing standard 2D movies)

It seems less loud in ECO mode than my XR-10X in ECO mode did as far as I can remember, I might test this again when I have everything setup properly. I haven't heard any other projectors apart from this, so can't comment on the Infocus X9.

-what about 100Hz 3D mode? (for viewing 50i HDV signals i need 100Hz)

I think you mean in 2D mode? It seems to work fine setting windows to use 120Hz, however the manual says 120Hz is only for the 3D mode, so it could be dropping frames when it's in 2D mode; I have no idea how to test this though.

-what about 24p? Can it work in 720/24p or in 1080/24p?

The acer site says it can, so it should, I have never watched any movie @ 24p though.

thx!

yw ;)
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

Thx.

"I think you mean in 2D mode?"

No, i ask:
"what about 100Hz 3D mode? (for viewing 50i HDV signals i need 100Hz)"
I have my own 3D HD movie, taken in 50i format, so for smoothest playback i need 100Hz 3D mode.

cheers!
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

Ah now I get it. Sorry about the confusion. So far windows only allows 60 and 120 Hz. I will see if I can force it to 100Hz though.
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

Ok this is odd. Apparently my vga cable wasn't completely plugged in to the computer anymore all evening yesterday until just now and the projector was detected as a generic non PnP monitor. Everything still worked fine though :D I just plugged it in correctly and it gets detected as Acer H5360 again, also the nvidia control panel now lists stereoscopic 3D display type as Acer Projector (0701) instead of CRT mode. Also now I have 60Hz, 75Hz and 120Hz as options. I'm gonna try to add some custom stuff now.

EDIT: Ow crap custom resolutions are more bugged than ever, I tried to add 85Hz and it added a mode at 60 Hz instead overwriting the normal modes so I could only select 60Hz. Then I tried to change back to 120Hz through windows display properties and it works but now my colors on all monitors are at 4 bit or so :S Why can't nvidia finally fix this crap properly?

EDIT2: Sorry but I won't be trying this again. Windows would now BSOD just after starting even in safe mode. I unplugged everything apart from keyboard and mouse and removed my overclock and finally managed to get into safe mode so I could eradicate nvidia's drivers. Now I have the display drivers setup again and I'm restoring the rest, but I'm staying away from the custom resolution option from now on.
slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Post by slipstream »

There is an informative thread here..

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=0b ... pic=152758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a mention that some cables recognise it as an acer projector and others as CRT.
ChibiChaingun
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChibiChaingun »

Are people finding this in the U.S.?
saratoga
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by saratoga »

Does the PJ have a VESA(stereo sync) connector?
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Xerion what you needed with the 10x was a VESA 3D-Sync Signal Booster & Inverter you coulkd of got from here:

http://www.3dflightsim.com/product/product_index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

No I didn't need that, since I used the sync dongle from nextstepsolutions. The only problem was that ghosting could not be eliminated completely even with the device and with the setting with the least ghosting the image would be wrongly coloured, probably because in the timeframe the shutters were open one of the colors was not yet completely drawn by the colorwheel. Still the finetuning made the ghosting less than without it and parallax inversion was also fixed.
Borg_Rootan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Borg_Rootan »

Hi, know anybody any information about VGA cable issue with this PJ PnP detection? Is it anything about 5V missing pin on VGA cables? Thx
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

Yes it is. It's not really an issue through. The projector works fine at 120Hz without the pin as well. (My cable without pin 9 is longer than all the ones I have with the pin, so I have to use it.)
Borg_Rootan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Borg_Rootan »

Xerion wrote:Yes it is. It's not really an issue through. The projector works fine at 120Hz without the pin as well. (My cable without pin 9 is longer than all the ones I have with the pin, so I have to use it.)
My win7/64bit enables 120Hz only when they detect PJ as PnP monitor. I was trying everything, refresh rate patcher, pin9 connecting, but it does nothing. There isn't PJ recognition result :( except one case with using low cost old cable :?: When I was trying connect 9.pin on Graphic Card to 9.pin on PJ with single wire outside original VGA cable recognition failed. :shock:

********* Ouch.. sry, thats my bad. I looked on cable and wire between pins nr.15 has been broken. PnP detection failure in another case is really issue with unwired pin nr.9 in VGA cables *************
Last edited by Borg_Rootan on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

I'm also running Win7/64bit and it's showing 120Hz both when it detects as PnP and when it doesn't. In non-PnP 75Hz is missing though, but I don't need that anyway ;)

Not sure what's causing the problem at your end. With the cable that did make the pj get recognized and 120Hz became available, did you also actually try it in 3d yet?
Borg_Rootan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Borg_Rootan »

Xerion wrote:I'm also running Win7/64bit and it's showing 120Hz both when it detects as PnP and when it doesn't. In non-PnP 75Hz is missing though, but I don't need that anyway ;)

Not sure what's causing the problem at your end. With the cable that did make the pj get recognized and 120Hz became available, did you also actually try it in 3d yet?
Of course. Projector can work on 120Hz, but Windows not allows that until PJ recognition trought SCL/SDA signal and I don't know why. Btw. my cable canť provide recognition.
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

Are any other pins missing from the VGA cable? And how about the VGA-DVI adapter plug?
rajkosto
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by rajkosto »

getting a DVI-I cable and DVI->VGA convertor would definitely work
however a DVI cable's shielding is meant for digital signals, not analog, so you might have some noise/ghosts over long distances
Borg_Rootan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Borg_Rootan »

Xerion wrote:Are any other pins missing from the VGA cable? And how about the VGA-DVI adapter plug?
Yes, there is not next pins wired (complete PnP function):
9- +5V for DDC logic in monitor / projector
12- SDA - I2C data signal for DDC data reading (EDID string)
15- SCL - I2C clock signal for DDC data reading (EDID string).

In EDID string are every information about device, suported resolutions and refresh rates, name of device, manufacturer...

I'm loking for any cable with 7m lenght and those pins connected, but no one has it. :x
Borg_Rootan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Borg_Rootan »

rajkosto wrote:getting a DVI-I cable and DVI->VGA convertor would definitely work
however a DVI cable's shielding is meant for digital signals, not analog, so you might have some noise/ghosts over long distances
You are right. There is no technical limit, but DVI cables are designed for digital signal primary. Idea about digital transfer over DVI and next tranformation digital signal to analog through reduction is tragical mistake. Signal transfer is complete analog!!

Maybe DVI cables have not included analog signal completely, but I never try it.
Last edited by Borg_Rootan on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Borg_Rootan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Borg_Rootan »

Xerion wrote:Are any other pins missing from the VGA cable? And how about the VGA-DVI adapter plug?
DVI -> VGA reductions have PnP pins connected. Problem is only with cables.
rajkosto
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by rajkosto »

DVI-D cables will not have the analog pins/wires at all
DVI-I cables include both the analog and digital wires
klikklak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by klikklak »

Hi all, first post.

So would this work in combination with Nvidia 3d vision glasses and a PS3? I'm running linux so there's no hope for PC gaming in the near future (until ATI steps in to do it). But buying a PS3 is definitely an option as I desperately want to get stereo3d.
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

FFS, I'm now having the same problem with the refresh rates, only getting 60Hz when it's not detected. I hadn't been using the projector last few days and had even disconnected it, because it became the primary monitor even when starting the computer, while I needed to see the POST and bios screens to restore my overclock. I'm now back on a shorter cable that has all pins. The first time I also started with this cable so perhaps it worked afterwards with the other cable because it remembered it could do 120Hz. Not feeling like testing it right now though, because my projector is on top of some boxes, on top of a shelve atm and I'm projecting to a bedsheet, and I've just aligned the projector correctly ;) I should be getting the projection screen I ordered in tomorrow and I already have a ceiling mount for the pj so I'll make a proper setup then.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

relaxman wrote:Thx.

"I think you mean in 2D mode?"

No, i ask:
"what about 100Hz 3D mode? (for viewing 50i HDV signals i need 100Hz)"
I have my own 3D HD movie, taken in 50i format, so for smoothest playback i need 100Hz 3D mode.

cheers!
ahahahaha, how spot on . :lol:

so , we talked about this with relaxman on MSN recently. He said, old nvidia drivers work at 100hz, but it flickers for him .

I get no flicker, only nvfail message (latest driver). So far , my idea is to use generic CRT. Best would be, if nvidia would admit that the pj can do 100hz just fine. I suppose that won't happen. Im also thinking about getting hold of a depthQ edid.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Brandon9271
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brandon9271 »

hi guys! I just bought this PJ on sale for $499 and free shipping! woo hoo!! :mrgreen: anyways.. I'm really anxious to get some 3D up and running on this thing but I really hate to spend $200 on the 3D vision kit.. to me that's ridiculously overprice! I'm temped to just get Tridef or Iz3d and some DLP Link glasses BUT I've read something about the picture getting out of sync due to the driver not being able to "quad buffer" like the Nvidia drivers can. Anybody know if this is true? I wish Nvidia would just sell a license for the driver for $50 like everyone else and let us use whatever hardware we want. I heard DLP Link mode looks better anyway.
Borg_Rootan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Borg_Rootan »

Brandon9271 wrote:hi guys! I just bought this PJ on sale for $499 and free shipping! woo hoo!! :mrgreen: anyways.. I'm really anxious to get some 3D up and running on this thing but I really hate to spend $200 on the 3D vision kit.. to me that's ridiculously overprice! I'm temped to just get Tridef or Iz3d and some DLP Link glasses BUT I've read something about the picture getting out of sync due to the driver not being able to "quad buffer" like the Nvidia drivers can. Anybody know if this is true? I wish Nvidia would just sell a license for the driver for $50 like everyone else and let us use whatever hardware we want. I heard DLP Link mode looks better anyway.
Hi, you can use any page flipping source connectet through VGA (Ati+Iz3D, old nVidia drivers on old nVidia GPU), but only 3Dvision can work over HDMI.
Brandon9271
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brandon9271 »

Thanks! I have a few old vga dongles from some other s3d kits I bought years ago.. maybe ill go that route then. I want to do this on the cheap so I can afford to buy 4 extra pairs of glasses :)
Brandon9271
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brandon9271 »

I have a geforce Gts 250 and after a lot of reading I get the impression that my only option for page flipping is the 3d vision kit because iz3d and tridef need quadbuffering(?) Looks like id be money ahead to sell my nvidia card and buy an ATI which would get me the iz3d drivers for 50% off and I could use some generic glasses... :-?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Just get the Nvidia glasses if you don't like headaches.
Brandon9271
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brandon9271 »

cybereality wrote:Just get the Nvidia glasses if you don't like headaches.
Headache from eyestrain or from just trying to get the software to work? lol ;)

I'll maybe get the 3d vision kit later but right now I'm mainly wanting to get 3d movies working smoothly which seems to be more an issue with CPU since both cores of my athlon 64 x2 5200+ seem to be pegged at 100% running Stereoscopic Player even in anaglyph. I thought maybe it was the video decoding but its smooth as butter in Windows media player.. although its in half-side by side view that way. Perhaps WMP is using hardware acceleration and Stereoscopic player is not. I dunno.. back to the grindstone ;D
Borg_Rootan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Borg_Rootan »

Brandon9271 wrote:
Headache from eyestrain or from just trying to get the software to work? lol ;)

I'll maybe get the 3d vision kit later but right now I'm mainly wanting to get 3d movies working smoothly which seems to be more an issue with CPU since both cores of my athlon 64 x2 5200+ seem to be pegged at 100% running Stereoscopic Player even in anaglyph. I thought maybe it was the video decoding but its smooth as butter in Windows media player.. although its in half-side by side view that way. Perhaps WMP is using hardware acceleration and Stereoscopic player is not. I dunno.. back to the grindstone ;D
Cybereality is Right. You mean that 3D Vision is overpriced, but work verry well for me... really much beter than any emitor+glasses what i tried before (E-dimensional, Asus, DepthQ). Picture is beter through HDMI than VGA to (10m lenght in my case). Only two things are bad 1) No support for OpenGL 2)No support for Ati (of course). I was waiting for 3D Vision long time and now I'm really happy ;)
Borg_Rootan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Borg_Rootan »

Hi Cybereality, great work with Paralax Barier. Really smart think, congratulation. :idea: :woot
Brandon9271
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brandon9271 »

I guess I'm just frustrated because I had shutter glasses working flawlessly with Nvidia's FREE drivers 15 years ago. Seems to me that the only thing that's developed over the years in the PRICE. Its just not practical for me to buy the 3d vision kit and 4 extra glasses for friends and family. That's over $600 and more than I paid for the projector. My only affordable option is getting it working with "generic" glasses and Iz3d or Tridef. It may be a lot more trouble but its really my only choice. Thanks for your input! :)

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”