iZ3D's New Glasses Preview!

Love it or Lump it - post your feedback to individual blog posts on mtbs3D.com
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

iZ3D's New Glasses Preview!

Post by Neil »

Check out this preview of the new iZ3D glasses!

http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/newsletter.cgi?news_id=88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Share your thoughts!

Regards,
Neil
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: iZ3D's New Glasses Preview!

Post by Okta »

First! Sorry had to do it ;)

That is an incredible improvement. I have never had the pleasure of using an IZ3D monitor before but now i want one! Both the brightness and color imbalance has improved a lot. You can see the color difference in the text with the crosseyed pictures, the originals kind of look rainbow and the new glasses make the text look plain white in stereo.

Good going IZ3D.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Exposed
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Exposed »

If these new drivers don't include DirectX 10 support (among other things), then it won't matter. IZ3D is fast becoming irrelevant, when it comes to stereo 3D gaming Geforce3D leaves IZ3D in the dust.
warface
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by warface »

Thank you for the compliments Neil and Okta!

And hi Exposed! I'm glad you found MTBS; however, we've talked about DirectX10 support with iZ3D before. Because of the movement by the entire gaming industry towards DirectX11, we figured it was time to do DirectX10 support. But...I think I counted a grand total of 20 games that were DirectX10 compatible and we just didn't have the overwhelming roar from our customers for DirectX10 support.

We listen very closely to our customers. :) Be patient. We're vigorously working on it.
telis11
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by telis11 »

you said you will send the new glasses to all current owners of iz3d displays
are they included too and those who purchased them from other online stores?
i have purchased the 22" display from amazon and i live in greece
if not i will have to buy them from the online iz3d store?
thanks
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

Thanks iZ3D, that's an amazing improvement with the "colour difference" problem! But the biggest problem with iZ3D is ghosting/crosstalk, and it is hard to know how much that has improved just from looking at the cross-eye pictures. Keeping my fingers crossed.

(Even though the "colour difference" problem is very noticeable when you look at the iZ3D monitor with left-eye-only/right-eye-only and compare, I found that my brain easily fused the images when looking witht both eyes, to the point that it really doesn't bother me. To me it is a secondary problem compared to the ghosting/crosstalk.)
dreamingawake
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by dreamingawake »

Wowzers ! That IS an huge improvement ! AHhhh, that's really good to see !! Well, in theory anyway, can't wait until they actually release it !
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

telis11 wrote:you said you will send the new glasses to all current owners of iz3d displays
are they included too and those who purchased them from other online stores?
i have purchased the 22" display from amazon and i live in greece
if not i will have to buy them from the online iz3d store?
thanks
Doesn't matter where you live or where you bought the monitor. 2 pairs of glasses will be sent to you based on the monitor serial number :)

These glasses are going to be great! I think minimizing the color difference is going to impact the ghosting too, reducing the noticeability of it (aside from the ghosting reduction itself). Does anyone think alike?
Neil

Post by Neil »

If these new drivers don't include DirectX 10 support (among other things), then it won't matter. IZ3D is fast becoming irrelevant, when it comes to stereo 3D gaming Geforce3D leaves IZ3D in the dust.
Hi Exposed!

Given the amount of time you spend writing anti-iZ3D posts in the MTBS and iZ3D forums, one can't help but suspect that iZ3D is one of the most relevant parts of your day! :lol:

You have it all wrong. This isn't a matter of NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision versus iZ3D, though they are both viable and competitive solutions. Game developers want industry-wide support, and no single solution will be able to take credit for representing the industry or being more relevant than another.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/newsletter.cgi?news_id=85" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Neil
Kimber
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kimber »

Good photos. I can definately see the improvement in color with the new glasses. Unfortunately those photos are a little dark and almost monochromatic. Neil is it possible to get a photo using the new glasses of something brighter with lots of colors in it. Thank you.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Wow! Huge difference. The colors are most definitely improved a whole lot and the general quality looks nicer.
Exposed
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Exposed »

Neil wrote:
Hi Exposed!

Given the amount of time you spend writing anti-iZ3D posts in the MTBS and iZ3D forums, one can't help but suspect that iZ3D is one of the most relevant parts of your day! :lol:

You have it all wrong. This isn't a matter of NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision versus iZ3D, though they are both viable and competitive solutions. Game developers want industry-wide support, and no single solution will be able to take credit for representing the industry or being more relevant than another.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/newsletter.cgi?news_id=85" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Neil
Well, I'm just a very frustrated IZ3D owner upset with IZ3D's lazy support. Nvidia supports the vast majority of DirectX 10 games, why can't IZ3D? I nearly flipped my mind when I went from a Radeon 4870 to a Geforce GTX 275 and found out I couldn't use Physx on DirectX 10 games. For example, Cryostasis can't use Advanced Physics because it requires Shader Model 4 (DX10). This was THE game I was looking forward to play on my new GTX 275 because of its fantasic physics effects. Now about how the other SM4/Physx games out there, or will be out....so I'm poop out of luck until IZ3D decides to get off their lazy asses?

Or how about this one? I'd LIKE to purchase the new Radeon 5870, but I can't go back to having no anti-aliasing because IZ3D doesn't support AA with ATI. AA cleans up all the shimmering, rough edges, and makes the image quality so much better... Before I was just upset with the bad ghosting of monitor itself, and its not-so-great 2D qualities, but now that my gaming experience is being hampered by IZ3D and it's don't-give-a-damn attitude, I have to question the feasibility of this company as a relevant player in the 3D segment. Don't even get me started on their Windows 7 "support", an operating system I plan on purchasing the day it's released, a decision I may have to forego if I plan on keeping this monitor.

I've bit the bullet and tried my best to make the most out of this purchase, rather than instantly return it the first week I bought it (which I came close to doing because of the ghosting). Nvidia supports DirectX 10 (and naturally all games that use Physx/SM4 can be run in stereo 3D), has the superior 120hz monitor, less ghosting, and the backing of game developers....meanwhile IZ3D is getting trashed with every review I've seen so far. Now there are upcoming 3D 1080p monitors from Samsung and LG that will add to the variety...and what does IZ3D plan....new glasses to fix a problem on a grainy 1680x1050 monitor that should have been fixed a long time ago?

IZ3D needs to get their act together FAST. I'm giving them until November to ship out these new glasses AND a DirectX 10 driver. Otherwise, it's off to the garbage bin this crap-ass monitor and I'll be going "green". And rest assured I will not let others make the same mistake I did.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Exposed,

I appreciate your frustration. What I am hearing is a concern that some core features of your GPU hardware aren't working.

I'm not here to approve one technology over another. MTBS is an advocacy group, and we want industry-wide success more so than brand success.

As it stands, NVIDIA's GeForce 3D Vision DX10 is a false advantage. It will continue to improve - no doubt - but it is a false advantage. The majority of games require graphics reductions: post processing effects, shadows, blur, and more. Most of what would make DX10 a wonderful experience is more often than not scraped away.

NVIDIA's claims of supporting 400 games is another false advantage because their titles only work in depth-only situations. It is no accident that the advanced convergence features are locked away, and most reviewers don't even know it. When you try out of screen effects, most titles will show their flaws. This is improving, and will be happening less and less, but I have never supported the statement that NVIDIA is compatible with 400 games. The same for iZ3D - I want nothing to do with such statements.

Now, I have had a working relationship with iZ3D for nearly three years now. MTBS has expanded its relationships in this time, but I can tell you with all certainty that iZ3D is an extremely hard working bunch, and continue to come up with innovations that surprise even me.

I am not at liberty to say much more, but I am confident that the next year is going to be very positively telling for our industry. For NVIDIA, for iZ3D, for everybody. Have some faith - I have a track record for these things. :wink:

Regards,
Neil
Bartdesign
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bartdesign »

I would like to reply to exposed. I have an 3d Vision kit with the samsung monitor. I've tried cryostasis on my GTX285 and i can tell you that cryostasis is not supported by the 3d Vision kit. Most of the effects aren't rendered at incorrect depth, and the game is not usable. Unless you turn everything off. So no physx candy with the Nvidia kit.

The samsung monitor has ghosting problems. The top 10% of the screen always ghosts and take away the 3d image. A game with a lot of bright colors give me allot of ghosting too, no mather what monitor settings i use.

So you might just want to check out the nvidia 3d vision forum before you expect that the sammy is flawless. For the record i don't own an IZ3D monitor, but i know they have to edge on some 3d driver developments. I could only dream about an auto-convergence feature!! Or convergence presets. Have you tried setting the convergence on the Nvidia vision? Games that don't have a profile al share the same settings, so every time i play Arma2 or another unsupported game i have to re-tweak my settings. It's a mess.
Exposed
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Exposed »

I am aware of some of the limitations with Geforce 3D. Are you a member of Rage3D? Or NvNews.net? Or any other gaming websites? I post frequently along with other IZ3D / Geforce 3D users on those forums. I hear the top 10% of the screen issue alot, but as a IZ3D user, that would be a godsend if all there was to ghosting. Bright scenes/high contrast areas isn't any better on IZ3D, in fact it's where the worst ghosting appears...the infamous purplish or orange afterglow. I am curious about your Cryostatis issue however, because another member was able to run it with Physx in SM4 mode on his Geforce 3D setup.

Maybe we can switch setups for a month and see if the grass really is greener on the other side. :lol:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I wouldn't be so harsh on iz3d concerning DX10. I mean there are maybe like 2 dozen games total that even support DX10, but none of them are exclusive (ie they all still run on DX9). And for the most part, no DX10 effects are support on Nvidia even though they claim support. Take Crysis, for example. Even assuming you had the system to run it in 3D, it looks like crap. No shadows, no post-processing (god rays, etc.), no motion blur, etc, etc, Take all that away and the game looks worse than the original Far Cry in DX9. Let me see, Bioshock: I can't even get to run even in DX9 w/ the Nvidia drivers. I think there might be a handful of DX10 games that even work (I think HAWX does, maybe more). So really there is, for all intents and purposes, not any real DX10 support with any 3D driver. Maybe we will have better luck with DX11.
gicko
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gicko »

ZALMAN FOR EVER.......
THE ZALMAN PASSIVE GLASSES ARE THE MOST SERIOUS GLASSES, SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES!!!
THAT IS MY HUMBLE OPINION RESPECTABLE STEREOSCOPIC USERS...
LOL, LOL, LOL....
for the moment of course, i dont know about future.
Exposed
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Exposed »

cybereality wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't be so harsh on iz3d concerning DX10. I mean there are maybe like 2 dozen games total that even support DX10, but none of them are exclusive (ie they all still run on DX9). And for the most part, no DX10 effects are support on Nvidia even though they claim support. Take Crysis, for example. Even assuming you had the system to run it in 3D, it looks like crap. No shadows, no post-processing (god rays, etc.), no motion blur, etc, etc, Take all that away and the game looks worse than the original Far Cry in DX9. Let me see, Bioshock: I can't even get to run even in DX9 w/ the Nvidia drivers. I think there might be a handful of DX10 games that even work (I think HAWX does, maybe more). So really there is, for all intents and purposes, not any real DX10 support with any 3D driver. Maybe we will have better luck with DX11.
Everything you mentioned concerning disabled effects apply to Directx 9, it's not as if DirectX9 has any advantages with shadows/HDR. Tomb Raider Underworld needs to have shadows and post processing disabled for example, and that's a DirectX 9 game. Games need to be developed from the ground up for stereoscopic gaming (like Resident Evil 5), but that's a different argument altogether.

That doesn't negate the fact for DirectX 10 support, which has other benefits. I'm not sure why you would even want to run Bioshock in DX9 mode, when it has better smoke and water effects in DirectX 10. DirectX 10 offers efficiency over DX9 as well....HAWX/Stalker/Flight Simulator X/Lost Planet/Assasin's creed (before it had 10.1 support pulled) had noticable performance improvements under DirectX 10/10.1. When you're rendering twice in stereo 3D, every bit of performance and efficiency counts.

We're now heading into a DirectX 11 era, which brings out great changes (tessalator, direct compute, etc...) If a game can't use hardware physics or tessalation because IZ3D won't allow it to run in DirectX 11 (and DirectX 10 in some cases with Physx), I just don't see how IZ3D can't expect to remain a relevant player in the gaming community.
mAchiNE
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mAchiNE »

Hey all, I know this is an old thread but I am considering getting a IZ3D monitor before they are discontinued!
My question is now that the new drivers and Glasses have been out for some time I would like some feed back from users as to how good it is now after the improvements? has the ghosting been eliminated or improved at all?
The technology this monitor uses has always seemed like a winner to me if they could just get it to work right.

I currently use Nvidia 3D Vision with a 23.6" Alienware 120Hz monitor which I bought over the iZ3D when 3D Vision first came out due to the ghosting issues iZ3D had ( I had the oportunity to test out a iZ3D display ). Much to my dissapointment the 3D Vision was not ghost free either, in some games it works great but even in some "3D Vision Ready" games such as Battlefield Bad Company 2 it is terrible, ghosting is so bad that I must play with the depth setting set at the lowest point to be playable, and as mentioned before 3D vision users are always having to turn off a lot of in game effects (such as shadows and Bloom).
(I did have the Samsung 120Hz monitor first however the better Alienware monitor has not improved the ghosting issues much as the problem lies in the LCD shutters not blocking out all the light properly as when you look through one eye you can see the ghosted image and I dont think this is a sync issue)

Any input from someone who has used both 3D Vision and the current version of the iZ3D driver with the new improved glasses for an informed comparision would also be great!

If the ghosting issue and colour issues have been resolved with the iZ3D monitor then I will definately want to get it as it has a few advantages over shutter systems not to mention freedom from Nvidia Graphics cards
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

There are some pictures of the iz3d in the review thread with images as well: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note though: The images are taken with the betaglasses and old algorithm. New glasses performs similar to the second batch of betaglasses (in the thread) and the new algorithm has slightly reduced ghosting compared to the betaglasses images in the thread. The colordifference is very low with new algorithm.
Ghosting is there but you can get used to it after a while. The iz3d still ghosts more than other stereosolutions in general though. However it's quite priceworthy.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “MTBS Editorial User Remarks”