Help with Core 2 Duo Processor

falcon96
One Eyed Hopeful

Help with Core 2 Duo Processor

Post by falcon96 »

Hi
I´m trying to install a Core 2 Duo E6850 on my Asus P5NSLI motherboard, but when I start the computer nothing happens and I don´t even get a signal to
the monitor. I switched back to my pentium 4 processor and everything works ok.
My question is , do I have to change soething in the bios before installation ore is there some jumper that has to be changed ?
I´ve checked that the motherboard supports this processor on this site http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/0 ... s_p5nsli/1 but I cant find any thing
there about my problem.
The exact specs are this:
Old processor: Pentium 4 3,2 Ghz
New Processor. Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, 3Ghz, 4Mb Cache, 1333 MHz FSB
Motherboard: Asus P5NSLI , ATX - nForce 570 SLI Intel - LGA775 Socket
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi!

im not shure but tehre might be a compatibility probelm between the processor and the motherboard. in the specs of the motherboard there is written that it supports dual core, but ther emight be alimit to older model s since the motherboard is not a really new one.

for best performance it would be good to buy a new motherboard.it really makes a difference since newer motherboards support also newer and faster rams.

anyway, check on google if you find a compatibility table for the processors.

hope this helps

as far as i knwo there is nothing to set up in the bios.

bye

sharky
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

sharky wrote:hi!
it really makes a difference since newer motherboards support also newer and faster rams.
sharky
Is it only the faster Rams? I think most of the speeddifference is wasted due to the high L2 cache of the C2D (4mb!).

If you search for (game) benchmarks with single vs dualchannel (that's approximatly what a faster Ram does, I think) there will not be much difference in Frames. At least not because of Ram-speed

Unfortunatly I cant help you much more.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
falcon96
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by falcon96 »

Thanks for the reply
I checked on asus.com and the CPU was not listed for this motherboard as you suspected, only up to E6700 (2.66GHz)
Well, it seems I have to get me a new motherboard.
Serch around a bit and found one in a local store so I can get it tomorrow it´s a Asus P5N32-E SLI with nForce 680i chipset
I get it for about $230
Bye
sharky

Post by sharky »

i have exatly the same motherboard!

its a nice peace of hardware but forget about the integrated soundcard. the vista drivers are poop. you ahve better results with a 20$ soundcard. but the rest is simply prfect.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Do you guys ever consider Ebay?
I found this one
for about 50 Bucks less :)
It seems to be the same board. You have to wait a little longer though...
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
falcon96
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by falcon96 »

I didn´t get the card to day, it was not in stock at the store so I have to wait until after the holliday.
I will do some google to see if I can get it for a better price somewhere else.
Tanks for the help guys and a happy holliday.
gisabun

Post by gisabun »

I have an AMD mobo from ASUS. I'm not really sure if I'll go back to them if I build a new system. Even though my mobo wasn't that old when I bought it [but you don't want to buy a mobo just after it comes out as it could be flaky], seems that ASUS sent it into retirement quite fast. My system prior to that had a mobo from Gigabyte. They seemed to update the firmware often enought - and most of the time for additional CPUs and not bugs to fix.

Only other downside I found with the ASUS mobo [for AMDs at least] is the chipset fan. A real peace of crap. Had to replace it within a year. Got the same replacement. A friend with the slightly better model variation got a premium fan instead. I ended up getting a Zalman heatsink instead [one less bit of noise]. Only problem was that you needed to take the PC apart because you had clips underneath the mobo to unclip to remove the chipset fan.

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”