NVIDIA DRIVER NEWS, Your Thoughts?

wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by wuhlei »

chilledsanity wrote:I had a hard time finding incompatibility lists for Vista, but here's a list of several that I found.

Albatross18 Golf [NOTE: This will install fine, but fail to enter into the game.]
Colin McRae Rally 2005 (64 Bit) [NOTE: The game doesn't launch saying it's not compatible with the OS.]
Command & Conquer (64 Bit) [NOTE: Fails to install, incompatible.]
Command & Conquer Red Alert (64 Bit) [NOTE: Fails to install, incompatible.]
Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 do not work at all. Fails to start.
SimCity 4 (64 Bit) [NOTE: Game fails to start due to not detecting cd in drive.]
Empire Earth 1 and Art of Conquest Expansion Problems Whith C++ Runtime Libry error
GTA 2 Say that DirectX 8.1 is not installed
Second Life Won't connect to login server
god is it really that bad is this with the an updated version of vista?

your right here is a list from gamespot a lot of good games dont work :cry:
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6154735/p-3.html

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/W ... List#Games
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

Neil wrote: Last night I had dinner with the NVIDIA marketing and PR team, this morning I had a private meeting with David Cook, the head of the NVIDIA stereo driver development team, and this afternoon I touched base with Zalman.

I got an updated list of supported GPUs, an expected driver release date, and an estimated number of compatible games. Oh! The list of supported solutions will be interesting too.
Thank you Neil. I think it is partly your own fault -- you always drop some of these really interesting tidbits after someone said something "negative" that provokes you. You are indirectly training our behaviour ... (half-kidding)

On a more serious note, how about an interview article with NVIDIA people? NVIDIA is one of the "grand-daddy" of S-3D and we are just dying of drought of official NVIDIA S-3D info.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

I posted the latest from NVIDIA. It's interesting that they are displaying their tech on a DLP when they aren't officially announcing their support for DLP - at least not yet.

I spoke to their PR people about a Q&A style interview already, and we are talking about it seriously. NVIDIA has more policies than you can shake a stick at when it comes to how they interact with customers. :shock:

Regards,
Neil
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Neil wrote:I posted the latest from NVIDIA. It's interesting that they are displaying their tech on a DLP when they aren't officially announcing their support for DLP - at least not yet.

I spoke to their PR people about a Q&A style interview already, and we are talking about it seriously. NVIDIA has more policies than you can shake a stick at when it comes to how they interact with customers. :shock:

Regards,
Neil
You would think they would be displaying their latest driver on the Zalman monitors since that is all they are going to support, right? I guess Zalman must be paying them a pretty penny to develop their own proprietary driver, or at least release it first on their product. Check out the 3D Glasses sitting on the table and the emitter on the TV. Looks like Crystaleyes emitter and glasses? Hard to say but they definitely don't look like the usual ED glasses. Neil, do you know what they are?

Not the exciting news I was hoping to see from Nvidia. All the more reason to put your support behind Unigine and a grass roots effort with other developers...

PiXeL
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
sharky

Post by sharky »

well unigine has a big opportunity now, since it is the only modern engine supporting 3D..
wuhlei

Post by wuhlei »

oops wrong post
Last edited by wuhlei on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Einstein
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

Thank you Neil for the NVIDIA news. Now what we need from you is to get that NVIDIA beta S-3D driver and post it for us MTBS3D members to play with.

Certainly if NVIDIA can demo it now, and intended to ship it in January (but now slipped to March), then it is of beta quality now. And releasing beta drivers is not something extraordinary. (NVIDIA frequently releases beta Forceware drivers.) And we MTBS3D members are the right group to try out a NVIDIA S-3D beta driver. And NVIDIA doesn't have to support it. And we got NVIDIA beta drivers before; in fact that is a significant part of the initial growth of MTBS3D member growth. And ...

So please use your increasing clout and make it happen. Thank you.
pabls71
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pabls71 »

Hi just read the news about the Nvidia driver quote 'NVIDIA stereo drivers are a Zalman ONLY product'
Does this mean that they are giving up on supporting us shutter glasses people...This is quite bad news as I was hoping for support for my glasses and 8800 card..
Can NVIDIA not make a driver for us?...even if they were to sell it, I would be happy to pay for it...If money is there big gripe!...

:(
Znith
Cross Eyed!

Post by Znith »

I'll be quite honest.. Zalman only does not make me happy. It's just to linear of a move for Nvidia. They could take over the world of S3D gaming if they would expand their driver support. I just do not understand at all.

Does Nvidia even get the picture here? Do they realize that when more and more S3D movies are released that the public will become (and are becoming) interested and there's not one 'true' affordable choice but to buy a special monitor that costs a grand, DLP television or maybe the VR920?

I don't see how this could possibly expand the use of stereoscopic in gaming. Sure there are a select few that will buy these monitors (maybe I will someday) but for the majority of gamers it's out of the question right now.

I know some will say it's a start, but sorry I don't see it that way.
IZ3D~ My answer to S3D!
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Just took a peek on the internet and the Zalman monitors go for 600-750 US dollars. Not too bad for a first generation product, but if you look at their page describing the Nvidia drivers very few games support the 22in monitor. That won't do much for sales. It will be very interesting to see how this whole Zalman/Nvidia relationship plays out. I am sure David Cook, like a lot of other software product managers, has to fight for driver developer time and be able to justify the effort financially. Free drivers would make many happy stereogamers, but doesn't pay the bills. A relationship with Zalman makes good financial sense, but at a cost. IZ3D is looking better all the time!

PiXeL
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
Neil

Post by Neil »

Thank you Neil for the NVIDIA news. Now what we need from you is to get that NVIDIA beta S-3D driver and post it for us MTBS3D members to play with.

Certainly if NVIDIA can demo it now, and intended to ship it in January (but now slipped to March), then it is of beta quality now. And releasing beta drivers is not something extraordinary. (NVIDIA frequently releases beta Forceware drivers.) And we MTBS3D members are the right group to try out a NVIDIA S-3D beta driver. And NVIDIA doesn't have to support it. And we got NVIDIA beta drivers before; in fact that is a significant part of the initial growth of MTBS3D member growth. And ...

So please use your increasing clout and make it happen. Thank you.

Well, in this case, it's out of my hands. I can't go into detail on this, but it has to do with the licensing deal, and we will not see any further betas until the first full release is out.

However, I do have some more NVIDIA news that I will try to share tomorrow. It's nothing major, just a tidbit about another supported solution.

Regards,
Neil
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Great so there will be TWO supported solutions :D
Well that's plenty of space to hack registry and whatever.

If I remember right the Registry hack to get the wobling for DLP 3D is made from a simple change from the interlaced profile --> e.g. from Zalman.

That'd mean, we could easiely run DLP-TV's.
Not supported (old) solutions might be built into the driver, too. It's not much effort, but they might lack compatibillity or new fetures/improvements.

If Zalman is supported, the might create special pictures to get maximum performance. They might have built in an algorithm to improve Interlaced quality... :shock:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
qm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by qm »

Too much 'might' for me.

Nvidia, why not make a driver for all of us with shutter glasses?
We'll pay for it! But I'm not gonna buy new equipment for 600$ or more!

Seems a lot of people (including myself) will be disappointed with this upcoming driver release.

qm

P.S.: Vista only?!?! :cry: I hate that.
ELSA 3D Revelator wired shutter glasses, MSI 7900GS, 93.71 driver combo, WinXP Pro SP2, 2GB RAM, Asus P5N-E, Core2Duo 6550.
zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zebrastealer »

I may be confused here - are these drivers only going to work with the Zalman Monitors? Combine that with no post-processing and they're just about useless to most of us. I'm not interested in buying more hardware....This is really becoming discouraging....
Damn! I just realized I am one of the first Users on MTBS3d. Joined April 2007 - the month after MTBS3d first opened its doors.

Occulus Rift dev kit, waiting for the release version or a good screen hack....
3 x 24 inch monitors running nVidia surround 3d
micronaut
One Eyed Hopeful

disappointed

Post by micronaut »

I found the latest CES news regarding stereo 3D drivers quite disturbing. The long suffering customer base of CRT/shutter glasses owners have been dumped in favour of nvidia's latest investor. Despite months of driver requests it appears Zalman's bank manager had more influence than the user groups.

Perhaps communities such as this one will serve as a warning to future customers planning on spending $600 on nvidia's latest and greatest, that they may have an expensive paper weight come the next generation.

Catalyst anybody?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

We are back to one solution until further notice, and I can't speak more on that. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas! :lol:

I also wouldn't get your hopes up for hackable drivers. :oops:

Regards,
Neil
A.J.
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by A.J. »

I can't believe it... I've been following news from CES hoping for some positive sign and this is what we get. Doesn't TDVisor use nvidia drivers as well? I thought they were at CES too, have you been able to speak to them?
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

Neil wrote:Hi Guys!

We are back to one solution until further notice, and I can't speak more on that. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas! :lol:

I also wouldn't get your hopes up for hackable drivers. :oops:

Regards,
Neil
Are you really as happy/upbeat about this as you sound like, or are you playing your poker face?

If NVIDIA driver is Zalman only, then all S-3D solutions are tied to display hardware (IZ3D -- own driver; Zalman -- NVIDIA driver; Samsung DLP/plasma -- Tridef driver; all others -- game over), and basically NVIDIA has no competitive advantage over AMD/ATI in terms of S-3D.

Obviously NVIDIA is doing short term bean-counting on S-3D driver development cost. If S-3D is an expanding market with bright future, then why did MTBS3D.com fail to convince NVIDIA that S-3D driver development cost is a good investment that give them a unique competitive advantage that AMD/ATI cannot match?

Last straw ...

P.S. Other computer sites I visit sometimes talk about S-3D. Currently AxxTxxxxxxx has a blurb on IZ3D monitor. I was going to post a comment to explain something about the current state of S-3D and point them to MTBS3D.com. But now too demoralized to do it ...
wuhlei

Post by wuhlei »

lol I hope its in a way it will support windows xp? because right now im stuck between geforce6 games or geforce8 vista compatible games. I think thats a pretty big gap.
Albert Einstein
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys,

First, don't shoot the messenger.

I'm reporting the news as it's coming in, and I didn't go to CES with expectations of what I was going to learn. Before I can state a position to the industry, I need to gather all the facts first and determine how all the players fit together. Nothing is set in stone, and the entire story isn't out yet.

You are going to have to sit tight for awhile as I can't discuss much of this publicly.

Regards,
Neil
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

Neil, I realize that when you do all of this work for us only to see us turn around and get angry at you must seem odd. But you must understand that extreme optimism in the face of continual false information really sets you apart from those of us who are unsatisfied with the support that Nvidia has actually given. You are Nvidia’s 3D PR tool. Whether or not this was your intention, this is the reality of it.

I thank you so much for the information that you give but I suggest that you be a bit more critical of its validity or at the very lease loose the super optimism if you don’t want to kill our morale or alienate us. (I can really only speak for myself here obviously but I am speculating)

As for the nvidia drivers being proprietary for that zailman trash, all I can say is wow. My product loyalty has dropped to zero. Last straw indeed.
InCytE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InCytE »

This is the worst news from Nvidia I could imagine. It is very obvious to me now that the June/06 S-3D drivers were the last we will see (except for propriety drivers). And they most likely knew it then. If they had stepped up and let the community know then I would have been disappointed. But in the end I would have respected their decision and appreciated their honesty. Instead I find myself felling stupid for offering my continued support for a company that did not respect my business. I am the national rep for a manufacture (in a very different industry than Nvidia) and I consider this very situation as being a paramount part of my job as should all manufacture reps. I find this a personal affront and the most unprofessional way of handling the situation possible. After the way Nvidia handled the whole Vista ready thing during the fall/winter of 06/07 this is the last straw. But if they don't feel that they need to be forthright with their costumers then so be it. I wish them the best of luck with their current strategy. And yes there maybe some "unofficial" news coming but at this point I don't care.
/end rant.
VadersApp
Cross Eyed!

it´s a shame

Post by VadersApp »

Now i am dissapointed in nvidia in two ways. First no new innovative hardware since 1 year and second the destroyed hope for a realy good S3D driver. Nvidia has lost another customer. Why should i buy their hardware in future, if most 3D solutions will have their own driver? I was hoping that before my vr920 arives a beta driver would be released. i can burry that for now.

Maybe not all hope is lost if someone is able to put the developer together and tell them that they should develop together, to achive a driver that supports all S3D solutions. So that the market for them will grow. Isn´t that what mtbs3d stands for?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Genetic,

You have a right to feel angry. Sure. You're thinking that your CRT and LCD shutter glasses won't work anymore, and if you want to play in 3D, you will either have to buy an iZ3D, a Zalman, or a 3D HDTV with any one of three potential drivers. I know you are angry, and it's not for me to take that away from you. You have a right to feel the way you do.

For me, I am feeling challenged. There are now three driver developers and over six different manufacturers with their own agenda in both the cinema space and the gaming space. We have the luxury of having similar game development standards, and we also have the benefit of an industry very focused on S-3D's success. However, this is the most important point. MTBS is the only - the ONLY form of cohesion right now. It is the only cohesion as a community, it is the only cohesion as a group of S-3D manufacturers, and it is the only consumer focused direction our industry has to make S-3D a success above and beyond a hundred people who play 3D games with CRT monitors and glasses they bought on Ebay.

That's a big responsibility for ALL of us. It would be irresponsible for me to have a knee-jerk reaction to the news without learning more, determining the problems, and finding solutions with all the contacts I work with. Remember, my first 3D experience was with a CRT monitor and LCD shutter glasses I got off Ebay, so I know they are important to you.

As for misinformation, I think that's a bit of a stretch. There has been NO information until I printed it. You've been informed of everything as I have been informed of everything. NVIDIA has never communicated their intentions in any other venue - ever.

One last point. Read through the pre-MTBS forums posts. Negative, negative, negative talk. NVIDIA did this, game developers won't do that, etc. etc. What did that accomplish in ten years? Now look at MTBS! Look at how far we have come (WE have come) in ten MONTHS! Don't fall back into old habits and sacrifice our positive impact. This CRT/LCD business is a minor hiccup in an otherwise very exciting and growing industry.

Now, I have to run to my plane to fly home! :P

Regards,
Neil
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

Yes, look how far we have come.

Past: drivers were hard to come by. But they did come.

Now: No more drivers.

You need to remember that this is not about some over priced monitor. I would be willing to pay $1000 to get S3D working fully. (although I wouldn’t be happy about it.)

This isn’t about monitors at all. Please understand that those of us who use alternatives to a desktop monitor DON’T WANT TO USE A DESKTOP MONITOR. This is about projectors, HMDs, laptops, whatever.

If you gave me a free iz3D monitor in the mail today, It would be on Ebay tomorrow. I cant use it. It has no use for me. It is unusable. That is to say that it is without any use to me.

You must understand that.

Now I will confess to being a HMD geek. Perhaps it sounds like a gimmick to you. But it works for me. Can you tell me of another technology considered to be just a gimmick by most games?

One point you can easily use to put me in my place would be that gamers like me make up such a small portion of the gaming population that I shouldn’t expect a big company like Nvidia to support my needs. Im sure no one on this forum has ever heard an argument like that before.
jackeberg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jackeberg »

Ouch! I almost bought a dual projector setup. This sure killed off any hope of non AAA developers using S3d. Now the samsungs are the only alternative and they´ve got crap drivers locked to single AA grade games. I´ll wait a couple of years for now, maybe the moviepart can rescue the gamingpart. I sure hope so.
stepsbarto

Post by stepsbarto »

So ...whats left ?

... I planned to buy a new system incl. 8xxx (or maybe 9xxx) Card in 2008 ..
But that doesnt make sense anymore.Seems to be really bad news for many of us ....
.... I was really looking forward to new stereoscopic display solutions,which came out this year and get disappointed, too.
.. I hate to be pessimistic or sarcastic but maybe its time to spend the money I saved for sth more reasonable ...

regards
steps

Shutterglasses,CRT,7600 GS ....
micronaut
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by micronaut »

I may have taken an earlier post out of context, or even completely miss-understood it. However, I feel it is irrelevant that by purchasing a cheap 3D set up on ebay to use on a (currently unfashionable) CRT monitor that nvidia should have justification to abandon supporting their customer base. Do I have a right to drivers to support my hardware only above a current market value threshold? Would nvidia support shutter glasses if I bought nvidia branded glasses for $10,000? Does nvidia now deem me too poor for 3D? I hope the gas station doesn't refuse to refuel my car because it isn't a Maybach 62S.

If nvidia simply can't get the series 8 and 9 cards to work with existing 3D technology then they should make a statement and allow the community to accept the situation and decide how they want to proceed with their 3D. Instead they stall the issue in fear of their stock value dropping by a few % when they don't have the same grip on the 3D enthusiasts.

Well done to MTBS.com however for supporting and representing the 3D user community at CES. The voice of the little people has at least been heard, if not listened to.
jackeberg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jackeberg »

Doesn´t this mean that 3dstereo dual projector setups costing thousands of $ with special lens and so on, is useless now? Is it only shutterglasses being dropped?

I guess the future is the new tv´s but they still cannot compare to projectors. Maybe they will come too soon.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

The news from Nvidia is disappointing, but not unexpected. Nvidia doesn't make any money on their consumer S3D drivers and haven't for years but it looks like this will change with the Zalman deal. Yes, they may have sold more cards in the past because of S3D drivers, but that isn't anything they can put in a spreadsheet and present to their senior management come budget time because they really don't have any way of tracking how many additional cards they really sell due to S3D gamer loyalty. It's kind of hard to defend a position in front of management when you don't have a profitable model in place to justify the costs associated with development. I am not defending them, but understand the situation when it comes to software sales. Margin has to made on hardware and the software to be profitable, and you have to be able to calculate the cost of the software. They couldn't do this with the old "bundle it in for free' model.
genetic wrote: Yes, look how far we have come.

Past: drivers were hard to come by. But they did come.

Now: No more drivers.
That is not a fair statement as expecting Neil, the leader of a very small advocacy group, to be able to change the direction of a 15 billion dollar organization overnight is unrealistic, especially when you consider "Overnight" in Nvidia time = a fiscal year. He is doing the right things and his recent meetings with David Cook are a great example. As you mentioned, he has been able accomplish things that the rest of S3D gamers only dream about... to leverage the presence of this advocacy group and provide visibility of the problem. Without this group, David Cook and other industry influentials would see him as just another angry end user of Nvidia products that wouldn't be listened to. Essentially, one in millions of angry users.
I hope the gas station doesn't refuse to refuel my car because it isn't a Maybach 62S.
That is too funny! Part of the issue is that we have been spoiled over the years. Nvidia has been including the "gas with the car" for many years and we have all been driving for free. Unfortunately, the gas costs money to produce and now must be financially justified. The Zalman deal is one way of doing just that. Selling your drivers on a per game basis is another, or setting up a yearly subscription would be another.

What makes me very optimistic about the future, and allows me to continue to be optimistic during announcements like this, is seeing new S3D displays hitting the market. Don't you think the senior management within these organizations are putting pressure on the industry as well to come out with drivers? Folks like Vuzix, TDVision, Samsung, Mitsubishi, etc all are taking a big risk by bringing products to market that depend on another organizations competency to either develop drivers or change the paradigm by not needing a drivers at all (Unigine). Samsung and Mitsubishi in particular carry a much bigger stick that we do in the form of the all mighty $! The more displays that are sold, the more software will be sold. Zalman was very smart by creating a partnership with Nvidia to insure the success of their own product, which pretty much follows Samsung's lead with DDD/TriDef. I am sure there are "teeth" in those agreements where xyz company must deliver on their promises. This is a positive sign from Nvidia in that at least they haven't totally abandoned driver development and the possibility exists for them to develop their own "sellable" drivers based on the model they have developed with Zalman. Pure speculation...
This isn’t about monitors at all. Please understand that those of us who use alternatives to a desktop monitor DON’T WANT TO USE A DESKTOP MONITOR. This is about projectors, HMDs, laptops, whatever.
I can agree with that. My gaming rig is hooked up to a HDTV and I wouldn't think about swapping over to monitor as it doesn't fit ergonomically.

All of the above are reasons why I think Neils efforts with Unigine are so valuable. The engine currently natively supports anaglyph and Dual Projection, the standards in the industry, and added IZ3D with others possibly on the way. Great approach to solving the problem, but a long term one. Even if 3rd party drivers are needed to convert to another 3d format, at least the stereo pair is rendered correctly by the engine and that is half of the battle.

PiXeL
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
wuhlei

Post by wuhlei »

Sorry neil The anger wasn't meant to be directed at you.
Last edited by wuhlei on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Einstein
chrisdfw
Cross Eyed!

Post by chrisdfw »

Personally, I have always used Nvidia cards and recomended them to friends based on the S3d support.

It looks like I will keep my old 7900 Nvidia card and single core AMD 3800+ set aside for playing older games in 3d.

For my next system to play cutting edge games in 2d I can now look into the benefits of the ATI/AMD merger and see how their integrated solution works compared to seperate Intel CPUs and seperate Nvidia graphics cards. Picking an Nvidia based product is no longer a "no brainer".

Shame on Nvidia. I hope they have a representative I can speak to at the next QuakeCon here in Dallas TX.
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

First off. I understand that People here are open to HMDs, sorry for the random outburst.

This however will be my goodbye until great change takes place. I am not a S-3D fan but rather a HMD fan. I see S-3D as something that my HMD does, not as something that I could use an HMD to view.

Some day I may look back here as it looks as if TDvisor may have some good products coming out some day.

Neil, Im sorry if I was rude but the way you relay horrible news is like Bobby McFerrin telling you that you have a brain tumor.

Thank you so much for your work you have put in.
Your cause may live on but my fight is over. We lost.

Luckily I have more than a years worth of older working games that I bought and never got to so I will be ok.

Sorry for any problems I may have caused.
sharky

Post by sharky »

hey hey hey.. what is this?!?!?!? you really give up? anyway, WE have not lost.. belive me! if you give up you are beaten, but we have no reason to give up!" we grow every day, nvidia makes its decisions we make ours... belive me it wont take llong, and things will be ok.. just dont give up because every single person is important.. without us there wouldnt be the new drivers of nvidia, because without us there would be no buyers for zalman, no buyers for shutterglasses, no buyers for everything! we are the market, and we CAN move things in the direction we want! giving up is the worst thing we can do!
bye
sharky
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

genetic wrote:First off. I understand that People here are open to HMDs, sorry for the random outburst.

This however will be my goodbye until great change takes place. I am not a S-3D fan but rather a HMD fan. I see S-3D as something that my HMD does, not as something that I could use an HMD to view.

Some day I may look back here as it looks as if TDvisor may have some good products coming out some day.

Neil, Im sorry if I was rude but the way you relay horrible news is like Bobby McFerrin telling you that you have a brain tumor.

Thank you so much for your work you have put in.
Your cause may live on but my fight is over. We lost.

Luckily I have more than a years worth of older working games that I bought and never got to so I will be ok.

Sorry for any problems I may have caused.
Hi genetic, The only thing we have lost is a valued member of the community that is passionate about what he likes. I think the rest of us are the same way. I was so ready to toss in the towel when i first purchased my Samsung HDTV as there weren't any drivers for months (S3D withdrawal). But that situation has improved, and continues to improve. I don't think anyone has lost, except Nvidia but that isn't our issue. The recent announcement on VR920 drivers is a perfect example of how fast the industry as changing, although sometimes it seems like dog years. MTBS is about ALL things S3D and your input and feedback is very valuable to others that are just as passionate about HMD's as yourself. The announcement about the Zalman licensing deal doesn't mean Nvidia has abandoned other solutions, but that they are changing their model on how they deliver them. That is a good thing because they have to make money on the solutions they provide in order to keep supporting them. That is positive change, even if it takes additional time to happen.

I completely understand your frustrations but hate to see you throw in the towel when we hit a bump in the road...

PiXeL
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
jackeberg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jackeberg »

It´s a pretty complicated situation right now, I guess. On one hand the original s3d users are no longer the market, the market is now the common users.

I sure am glad I didn´t buy projectors and waited for the nvidia driver, otherwise I would be mental now and all rage. But great nvidia drivers would have been most fun. So s3d users got a kick in the plums and where left in the dust, unless they want to wait and spend more money and be part of the new flood of users who take their place. But that is still years away if Samsung doesn´t suprise me with solid drivers. But it should take awhile. Still want the tv.

But if I buy it they´ll probably change tech five months later. Not that they are available in Europe. But I want big 3d now...

The good news is 3d will be a real factor in entertainment market for the first time ever. At least I believe so all because of Samsung. It will get into the livingroom. I hope the 3d monitors sell well, but they are a couple of tech generations away from regular users who´s budget is 400$ for card and monitor. I will most likely buy one anyway to probe 3d game development a bit. But it´s so tiny and you see the real world at the same time :cry: Still cool.
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

Wow, so it sounds like a lot of users are getting screwed by this, especially if it's proprietary for Zalman hardware. This means that budget S-3D gamers are essentially SOL. Before, all you needed was an Nvidia card and shutterglasses (if you hung on to your old CRT and spent about $50 - 70 on the glasses). Now if you wanted to stick with Nvidia, you need:

-An 8000 series card (which is kind of BS seeing as how they don't drop driver support on their older videocards)
-Windows Vista (in addition to the cost, this OS has several disadvantages to XP, many users don't want to switch even if they can afford it.)
-A custom Zalman monitor (which makes the final pricetag way too high for a budget gamer)

Some of you are saying we haven't lost and everything's great, what options are there now for budget S-3D gamers, people who can't afford HMD's and custom monitors, but still have our shutter glasses?
zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zebrastealer »

From a pure 3D advocacy stand point I'd guess this news isn't all gloom as more 3d solutions are entering the market from larger manufacturers. However, from the standpoint of exisitng and historical stereoscopic users this is a huge step backward... it would have been polite if those b@s$#Ds at NVidia had bothered to tell us 1.5 years ago that they didn't intend to support a universal driver in the future and would one day move to propriatary driver support tied to hardware vendors. Guess that is what happens when companies get too big and too successful - Entrepreuner magazine's company of the year - NVIDIA.
Damn! I just realized I am one of the first Users on MTBS3d. Joined April 2007 - the month after MTBS3d first opened its doors.

Occulus Rift dev kit, waiting for the release version or a good screen hack....
3 x 24 inch monitors running nVidia surround 3d
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys,

I honestly don't think this decision was made a year and a half ago. I'm going to write an official position on this soon enough, but it is clear that the entire S-3D map and structure has changed.

Genetic, we haven't lost anything. You are too focused on NVIDIA. Yes, NVIDIA is a great company and has done a lot for the stereo community. MTBS would not be possible had it not been for NVIDIA's continual profitless driver contributions to date. Remember, MTBS ideals were founded on NVIDIA standards long before iZ3D came into the picture.

However, while NVIDIA needed a model change, I have reason to believe other driver providers will fill the void. That's the beauty of our situation! There are enough players now to fill that void!

Finally, when you say you lost the fight, it surprises me because you haven't even gotten started, and you have the strongest allies at MTBS.

One of our core sponsors is TDVision Corp, and their product is HMD based. Do you honestly think they are 100% dependent on NVIDIA for bringing their products successfully to market?

If you want to fight for HMD, then I recommend using MTBS forums, posting about how much HMD has changed your life and added enjoyment to your gaming experience, and in a positive way, use this community to help drive further support and demand for your favorite technology. While NVIDIA is a critical component to our industry, S-3D doesn't live and die according to how they contribute.

Regards,
Neil
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

chilledsanity wrote:Wow, so it sounds like a lot of users are getting screwed by this, especially if it's proprietary for Zalman hardware. This means that budget S-3D gamers are essentially SOL. Before, all you needed was an Nvidia card and shutterglasses (if you hung on to your old CRT and spent about $50 - 70 on the glasses). Now if you wanted to stick with Nvidia, you need:

-An 8000 series card (which is kind of BS seeing as how they don't drop driver support on their older videocards)
-Windows Vista (in addition to the cost, this OS has several disadvantages to XP, many users don't want to switch even if they can afford it.)
-A custom Zalman monitor (which makes the final pricetag way too high for a budget gamer)

Some of you are saying we haven't lost and everything's great, what options are there now for budget S-3D gamers, people who can't afford HMD's and custom monitors, but still have our shutter glasses?
-If you don't own a 8000 series you're lucky. Just use the old drivers. They aren't new, but the work for many games.
- You are lucky again. They work with XP!
- Well Budget games and hardware work perfectly with the old driver. I use them myself - and won't waste money on a 'maybe' or 'we're going to...'

If I don't like the drivers I might just upgrade to the fastest 7900GTX OC when it's cheap enough - and needed :wink:

I think there will be a way. And for now it's best to stick with old, (trusted,) working hardware :D :twisted: :)
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”