MTBS Beowulf Movie Review

Love it or Lump it - post your feedback to individual blog posts on mtbs3D.com
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

MTBS Beowulf Movie Review

Post by Neil »

EDIT: I moved this thread because I finally saw the movie and reviewed it in the blog section. Post your reviews and comments about the movie HERE.

----

Ok! Beowulf is out tomorrow!

I want to start seeing reviews and feedback here. Is it going to be the killer-app for the 3D movie industry?

Regards,
Neil
Last edited by Neil on Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
thud
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thud »

I heard some people talking about it and asked for details.

The glasses are grey (so I'd guess polarized lenses) and the
3D was mostly okay - according to the young lady I talked
to - as long as the objects did not change position too quickly.

--- Thud
Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

That must have been Real D's solution (polarized) vs Dolby (infitec)

Would be nice to see if there is a perceived difference :)
A.J.
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by A.J. »

There's a small article about Beowulf at Tom's Hardware, http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2007/11/21/beowulf_3d/
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I saw the movie yesterday at an IMAX 3D theatre. I saw the french dubbed version in the province of Quebec in Canada. At that place, they use linear polarized glasses. Sorry if I appear negative but I was expecting so more after watching the trailer. It was enjoyable but not as much as I had hoped. I still have high hope for the development of S-3D theatres but they need to improve the technology.

My recommandation to anyone reading this would be to go see the movie and judge by yourself. The last scene from the movie was really impressive to watch.

The movie :

The movie was so-so. There is no complicated plot here but there's plenty of action to make up for it. I was a bit disappointed by the movie but it's probably because I was expecting much more. None of the characters were charming enopugh for me to feel sorry for them if they died. The movie was two hours long. It felt long (looked at my watch a few times) but at the same time it felt too short. Nothing in the story really had the time to evolve. It felt like a batch of action scenes stitched together.

The S-3D :

It was enjoyable but worse than expected.

The first problem is that I was seeing a difference in depth only if the difference in depth was big enough. I could usually see a difference of depth between people standing at different distances from the camera but I could not see the difference for smaller depth. People appeared flat as I could hardly see the differnece of depth of different parts of their body. I was expecting to see depth as I watched people faces but I could hardly see it. I was seated toward the back. I'm now wondering if it would have been better if I was seated closer to the screen. I might have seen more depth. I went to see a documentary about fishes at the IMAX 3D theatre one or two years ago and I was seeing much more depth. I was seated in the middle of the room that time.

The second problem was that the picture was too dark and maybe did not have enough contrast too. That really annoyed me a lot. It was straining for the eyes cause it was too dark. It seemed like the projector was not powerful enough for the screen size. It's also possible that they purposely reduce the brightness because they know the technology used (loinear polarizers and silver screen) ghosts when displaying bright colors. I'm tempted to go back to see it at another theatre (not 3D) to see it again to compare the brightness and the experience.

The third problem was that it ghosted at very bright scenes. It was not that big of a problem because it did not happen often as most of the action takes places in low brightness situations.

Conclusion :

I have mixed feelings about this movie. I can't honestly say that I liked this movie a lot. It lacks a good story with an unpredictable twist of events. After watching the first hour, you could predict roughly what would happen in the next hour. It was still a good experience.

The 3D was a plus but because of the shortcomings of its implentation at the theatre were I went, it was not as enjoyable as it could be. I would be curious to see it at Real D theatre (Infitec technology) but there's none of them here as far as I know (the closest is a six hour drive away from where I live). I had to drive three hours and a half to get to the IMAX 3D theatre.

I'm buying it when it comes out on DVD, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD as an S-3D movie. I'm currently buying an HMD and I'm curious to see if it would look much better and much more enjoyable on it than at the theatre. There should be zero ghosting, I could try to adjust the separation and the picture should have more brightness and more contrast.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I saw the movie in 2D on TV this weekend. It aired on a movie channel. I noticed something by watching it again without the 3D.

When I saw the movie in S-3D, I definitely thought the first scene where they were partying was totally rendered. Later in the movie, I thought only parts were rendered and that most actors were filmed. The face of Beowulf was very well rendered with a very good photrealistc feel. I can't say the same for all the characters.

When I saw it in 2D, I noticed that noting was filmed in the movie. It was a complete render from beginning to end. The S-3D effect fooled me and gave me a feeling that it was filmed. I think that's also why I did not completely like it when I saw it in S-3D at the theater. I was trying to see filmed scenes/actors in the movie because they would look better, more lifelike, more detailed and would be more interesting to see.

It also explains why I thought Angelina Jolie did not look like herself and as lifelike as I had hoped when I saw the movie at the IMAX 3D theater. She was a render, so not as real looking as the real person.

I think that maybe they should have made two versions of the movie with different S-3D setting. One for IMAX 3D and another for smaller screens that don't cover your full view (like the last REALD theater where I went or for home setups). They could have used a lot of popout for the IMAX 3D movie. It would have been more impressive and maybe a bit more frightening. At a IMAX 3D theater, the screen is very far in front of you and yet, when a movie scene has a lot of popout, the action can get close enough to you for you to feel that you could touch what's in the movie if you reached out with your hand. I would have liked to see how the movie would have looked with that kind of popout.

Since the movie was rendered and not filmed, I'm wondering if they made the 3D effect too mild in their render. Others did not complain so maybe it's just me and it was fine.

I also noticed that it was much brighter on my TV. A problem with the movie at the theater where I saw it (they have an old system and use linear polarized glasses) was that it was way too dark during all the movie.

I prefer movies with filmed actors instead of rendered actors. I'll admit that I was looking forward to seeing Angelina Jolie in S-3D but was disappointed when I noticed that she was a render.

The movie is out on Blu-Ray for the 2D version. I'm wondering when it's going to come out in S-3D. I did not really like this movie much but I still want to buy it. I already bought "Spy Kids 3D" and "The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl" on DVD. Beowulf can't be worse than these two movies.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I saw it yesterday in 2D.
Must be totally AWESOME in 3D.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed