iZ3D 22" LCD monitor review

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
Denaris
Two Eyed Hopeful

iZ3D 22" LCD monitor review

Post by Denaris »

Folks,

I happen to work within a few miles of the iZ3D office, and I was lucky enough to have one of the engineers there demo the new 22" iZ3D monitor.

This unit is NICE!

Design
This unit is designed well. It is a 22" unit with wide-screen aspect ratio, the native resolution being 1680x1050 (typical for a widescreen 22" LCD these days). The screen is glossy, so some LCD purists may not like it. For my part, I favor the glossy look--it is similar to the surface used on my HP w2207 which I really like. The bevel around the screen itself is dark, unobtrusive and not too wide. The controls are simple and placed at the bottom of the monitor. I did not have an opportunity to try and adjust the monitor screen settings for different tasks, like watching movies or working with text. I did not try to adjust height and tilt so I do not know if that option exists, but the entire unit seemed fairly sturdy and well made. If anyone was worried, it looks a lot better than the rendered image they have on their website. I think it looks great on a desk.

2D performance
I did not get a chance to see it in Windows, but in-game it performs almost as well as my HP w2207. The clarity and contrast were good. I am fairly picky about such things, and I was pleased with the performance of the monitor as an ordinary 2D experience. It cannot compare to, say, a Samsung 226BW in terms of pure LCD sharpness, but this may be due partly to the glossy screen. It probably does not render text that well, although with the large in-game text I could not evaluate this effectively. I cannot tell the difference between 2ms response time and 5ms response time, but there was no ghosting of any kind in 2D mode on this monitor. I think for word processing or other non-gaming tasks, you won't be let down. These comments are for the monitor in native resolution, which is 1680x1050.

3D performance
The monitor is pretty darned cool in 3D. It uses polarization which means you have to wear some shades that they provide with the monitor. However, the shades require no power and they can be worn comfortably over glasses (I think they provide clip-ons too). The plus of going this route of course is that you can hand out glasses to your friends and they can see the 3D effect as well. There isn't a narrow horizontal position you have to place your head; in fact, you have to go pretty far from the perpendicular angle to to experience a lessening of the 3D effect... I would guess anyone within a 30-40 degree cone could see the effect well.

It did not make me nauseous or dizzy looking at it. It was not blurry and I did not see ghosting in 3D mode.

The demonstrator indicated that a framerate drop could range between 0% to 40% based upon the graphics hardware you are using. Essentially, the card must render twice as many pixels, but because there is headroom on most cards you do not notice the difference in many games. It really just depends on the game and the graphics card you have.

I should get my main gripe out of the way. The left image appears to be odd (grainy? looked like a sharpness filter had been run on it) and rendered quite a bit darker than the right side image. I do not know why this is the case, but the demonstrator indicated this was an side-effect of the technology. He claimed that this could be compensated for by using your graphics driver settings to increase the gamma of the left image independently, but he did not demonstrate this. If I have one reservation about the monitor, this is it. It is not insurmountable, but you do notice it and it feels like you are wearing a pair of sunglasses with a darker left lens. It wasn't dramatically darker but it was definitely quite noticable.

The 3D experience is different than the 2D experience. Images have a strange transluscent quality about them. Anyone who has seen a 3D IMAX movie knows what I am referring to. Also, images are anti-aliased these days in a 2D sense, but in the 3D realm the figures are not blended well into their environment. It is quite obvious where one object ends and another begins if they are separated in the z-plane. You can see this as either a good or a bad thing.

After looking at it constantly for 15 minutes, I did not notice any unusual eyestrain or nausea. The amount of "pop" (z-depth information interpretation) is adjustable from software. I think going overboard with this setting is what leads to the nausea that some gamers experience.

Other thoughts
I was looking for a 3D solution that could also double as an ordinary 2D monitor, and this 22" widescreen unit fits the bill. If I get my hands on one I am glad it does not represent a significant downgrade from my HP w2207. The HP unit still wins a very few points for style, finish, and 2D performance.

Is it a good value? This is hard to answer. A slightly better (contrast, clarity, sharpness) 2D unit will run you about $350 USD these days. This monitor is being sold for about $1000. That is very nearly 3 times as expensive! At the same time, the 3D effect is just... well, too cool. As a gamer, it's probably something that aids in cool factor, but does not really give you any kind of noticable edge in scoring kills (at least, I would not think so). I have done extensive searches online for a better 3D LCD value, and I have not found one yet. Speaking for myself, I believe the price they are asking is quite reasonable given the other options out there.

I wish there were some way to achieve the effect without glasses, but having to one's head in one position would just be too much to ask of gamers. I do not know if there is an autostereoscopic solution available that allows viewers to move around a lot and still get the 3D effect.

I hope to get my hands on an HMD so I can compare the 3D monitor to a head-tracking 3D solution. If that happens, I will be sure to post a follow-up review.

Thanks for reading!
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi!

first of all thank you for your extensive review...

as far as i understand the only negative thing is this:
and rendered quite a bit darker than the right side image. I do not know why this is the case, but the demonstrator indicated this was an side-effect of the technology. He claimed that this could be compensated for by using your graphics driver settings to increase the gamma of the left image independently, but he did not demonstrate this.
well, as neil announced i got a 17" iZ3d monitor. i can absolutely confirm what he said. i had the same problem and solved it by playing around with the gamma and contrast setting. with the contrast setting of the graphics card you can also reduce the sharpening effect you said. those settings have to be set up on the FRONT pannel. there are some monitors around wich can be used without Glasses, the problem is that if you move your head even a little bit, you don't have 3d anymore... i think taht even the best gamer can't keep the head in the same position expecially if he is playing a car game and driving into a curve.. :D

hope to see one soon too.. :)

bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Neil

Post by Neil »

Made it a sticky. Very informative!

Neil
tentaclesex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tentaclesex »

Neil wrote:Made it a sticky.
I thought you wanted to dispel the image that you're shilling for iZ3D. ;)

As long as I'm being a jerk, I'll also mention that your name is next to your post; signing it at the bottom is redundant and irritating.

On a more positive note, someone just handed me a box that contains an Icuiti VR920!
Neil

Post by Neil »

The iZ3D is the item in our incentives right now until another manufacturer steps forward, so I think it's ok to share what others have said about it. MTBS didn't do the review.

You're welcome to post your VR920 review.

<Insert Name Here>
sharky

Post by sharky »

sorry short OFF topic..

Neil wrote:<Insert Name Here>

BUAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH that was the best joke you ahve ever made... :lol: :D

IN65498
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: iZ3D 22" LCD monitor review

Post by IN65498 »

Denaris wrote: The left image appears to be odd (grainy? looked like a sharpness filter had been run on it) and rendered quite a bit darker than the right side image.
This appears really odd, I don't understand why what makes sense on a theoretical basis of IZ3D project, where the output seems conceptually symmetrical, can end up with such a disturbing effect.
If it's noticeable, it could potentially ruin the experience, more so considering that people have been disappointed by sub-par stereoscopic products in the past, so today we are all very picky (especially if you fear some asymmetry could make you feel uncomfortable after extended use).
I do not know why this is the case, but the demonstrator indicated this was an side-effect of the technology. He claimed that this could be compensated for by using your graphics driver settings to increase the gamma of the left image independently, but he did not demonstrate this.
Sounds fishy. I hope not but... when someone gives a demonstration where the product shows some evident flaw, either the demonstration was a very poor and rushed one, or the product is inherently flawed.
If he suggests that the solution is absolutely trivial and rapid like upping the gamma, yet he failed to do so in advance, plus he didn't do that at the moment, this is a big, big red flag. As we say in Italy, he's hiding behind a finger.

Obviously I do really hope that the final monitor is flawless and it gains market acceptance very fast.
Gimme a 28-30 inches model with no issues and a good Vista 64 support and I'm bought.
sharky

Re: iZ3D 22" LCD monitor review

Post by sharky »

IN65498 wrote:
Denaris wrote: The left image appears to be odd (grainy? looked like a sharpness filter had been run on it) and rendered quite a bit darker than the right side image.
This appears really odd, I don't understand why what makes sense on a theoretical basis of IZ3D project, where the output seems conceptually symmetrical, can end up with such a disturbing effect.
If it's noticeable, it could potentially ruin the experience, more so considering that people have been disappointed by sub-par stereoscopic products in the past, so today we are all very picky (especially if you fear some asymmetry could make you feel uncomfortable after extended use).
I do not know why this is the case, but the demonstrator indicated this was an side-effect of the technology. He claimed that this could be compensated for by using your graphics driver settings to increase the gamma of the left image independently, but he did not demonstrate this.
Sounds fishy. I hope not but... when someone gives a demonstration where the product shows some evident flaw, either the demonstration was a very poor and rushed one, or the product is inherently flawed.
If he suggests that the solution is absolutely trivial and rapid like upping the gamma, yet he failed to do so in advance, plus he didn't do that at the moment, this is a big, big red flag. As we say in Italy, he's hiding behind a finger.

Obviously I do really hope that the final monitor is flawless and it gains market acceptance very fast.
Gimme a 28-30 inches model with no issues and a good Vista 64 support and I'm bought.
what the guy said is true... i can confirm it because i did it on my own monitor.. you simply need to adjust contrast and gamma on the fron pannel.

the thing is nto completely exact with the "simmetrial thing"... this hapens because the back pannel is used to show the actual image, the front pannel is used for polarization. the frontpannel has a image on it wich is based on grayscales. dependig from the grayscle you change the polarization angle. if the grayscale is a BIT (only a minimal change is enough) too dark or too bright the two eyes look different because the polarization is more oriented toward one aye than to the other one. so if you can adjust the color of the frontpannel with nvidia settings, cahnging the contrast you obviously get another gray tone ad can compensate this "error"...

:)

hope this hlps a bit and explains a bit how the monitor works..

bye

sharky

RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

How interesting...

Been keeping an eye on this for a while now as I was considering buying one of these... not better quality than some other setups in my opinion, but other setups amount to 0 when you have no working driver.

I am somewhat apprehensive about the purchase after reading the reviews... could this darkening be a big problem? *sigh* another stereo product that is too good to be true?

History is bound to repeat itself... in my case anyway, first I had anaglyph...

Anaglyph - Problem: Colour loss
Then I upgraded to shutter glasses - Problem: Ghosting
Then i-Glasses SVGA 3D - Problem: Colour distortion, low rez.
Then Z800 - Problem: Low Rez
Then Projected - Problem: no stereo drivers
and now iZ3D... beautiful image, high resolution, amazing colour, compat with 8800, and almost all games... but OH NO! a tinting problem...

Can't a guy catch a bloody break?!?!?!? :p

I don't think I can bare another dissapointment... unless there is a fix for this i.e. increasing gamma etc does infact make the tinting un-noticeable, then I think it would be wise of me to wait till it goes on eBay and get it for a little less.

Anyone know the price shipped to the UK? ?750/$1500 inc taxes and delivery i'm assuming... and you yanks thought you had it bad for $999 :P

A very frustrated long-time stereo gamer.
-- Shahzad.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
sharky

Post by sharky »

hey rage.. :)

you know me trough chat in th emeantime.. i can GUARANTEE that the problems metioned con be solved in less than 20 seconds adjusting the nvidia settings for the front pannel.. i did it on mine and it works great.. ;)

bye

Neil

Post by Neil »

Rage!

It's good to see you back on the forums! The last time we spoke, you were in the process of getting married! Did things work out as planned? Assuming yes, congratulations!

Regards,
Neil
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Hi Neil,
Its still in the works, but have more free time now with some of the more time consuming projects at work finishing.

Don't want to derail this most excellent thread, so ill leave my personal life aside.

I saw your presentation vid earlier. Very good stuff... I don't think i could have kept my nerve in front of all those people.

Sharky: Thank You for clearing that up... I have much more confidence in it now. Looks like I will be investing in this afterall towards this christmas - if the DDD driver isn't quite up to scratch (fingers crossed).
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
Neil

Post by Neil »

In this case, don't worry about poisoning the thread. Mel Brooks said it best with the line "It's good to be the king!"

Dimension-3 Expo was incredible. They really did a top job, and they are very, very serious about S-3D.

I think it's more impressive that the audience kept their nerve with me!

It was a francophone audience, and most were using live translators. So whenever I'd crack a joke, there would be one or two people laughing, but the rest of the audience didn't get it because it was lost in translation or too fast for the translators to keep up.

I don't know if the video showed it, but it was steaming hot because it was packed. I wasn't sweating from nervousness. :)

Regards,
Neil
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

Then Z800 - Problem: Low Rez
Not to mention jacking the pricetag by 3x, then locking their forums along with spread rumors of a shaky future for the company/division. Was a low resolution the only problem with these? I can seriously live with 800x600, especially since Antialiasing works fine for me on my card in stereoscopic mode. I tried using different goggles, the Headplay PCS, but found them very hard to get used to, had bleeding colors plus the whole tunnel vision effect made it a less immersive experience than my own monitor.
Then Projected - Problem: no stereo drivers
Plus cost of the bulbs.

Anyway, I'm still stuck back at shutter glasses and am trying to get used to ghosting, but I definitely feel your pain on this.
Last edited by chilledsanity on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
nathansteinke

Post by nathansteinke »

>ou know me trough chat in th emeantime.. i can GUARANTEE that the >problems metioned con be solved in less than 20 seconds adjusting the >nvidia settings for the front pannel.. i did it on mine and it works great..

Hi Sharky, could you please give a written tutorial on how to do this? Where in the display control panel to change this, which screen corresponds to "front panel" and how you adjust, test, and readjust?
Are you talking about color correction?
If so, I see "desktop" and "overlay" panels as choices.
Nothing for "front panel".
Thanks.
-Nate
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Hi Neil...

Yeah, some things can be lost in translation (i should know - english is my 3rd language :P), but the audience seemed to be very interested and the presentation was good :)

chilledsanity

The resolution was OK for the edges with FSAA, but for me, the problem was the textures... the resolution was too low to display them crisp... they came out looking blurry... like anisotropic filtering wasn't on... hard to appreciate modern games fully with blurry textures and low rez :p

The HMD was good though, but the tracking wasnt as good as I had hoped. I bought them and returned them back when they were 1/3 of the price they are now. Then they were maybe worth it, but now, for their current price, unless money is not a problem, i personally would not buy them again.

Unclebob, an old time stereogamer, recomended me the benq MP720p. It does stereo straight out of the box at 85Hz at 1024x768 but with a little tinting, and at 60Hz without tinting and no ghosting. The bulb lasts for 3000 hours and new one will cost $200 on eBay. It is 2500 Lumens of pure goodness with a 2000:1 contrast ratio. And to top it off, it it comparatively very cheap.

In my opinion, projected is by far the best for FPS games atleast. You really do feel you are IN the game as everything is lifesize on the projected screen. But unfortunately no drivers.

This iZ3D seems to be the next best thing with the its fantastic drivers.

Failing these, i would recomend the Z800. IMO and from what i have heard, iz3D 22" >>> Z800. Yes you don't get head tracking but it wasnt really practically useful with the z800 even though it was a nice feature to have.

They are using accelerometers for movement sensing, but it just doesnt come out quite right. Interesting part for me atleast, I made a head tracking unit for my dissertation using accelerometers... it seems z800 used the exact same ones when they launched their product later - and ofcourse I could recognise the traits quite easily, and the difficulties in implementation of head tracking.

What does that mean? well it means that these things are the best we have for detecting motion at an affordable price but they are just not quite there yet to give us perfect head motion tracking.

How does it come out? Low refresh for a start meaning noticeably jerky head movements. They can sample this at a higher rate, its just a PWM from what i remember, don't know why they didnt. The biggest problem though. Move head to the left, the view goes to the bottom left or top left. Same when moving to the right. Vertical was o-k it seems.

My units screens were faulty so they had to be returned. And thats the other problem. The very short warranty. Its like they KNOW its going to break down very soon so they only give a short 90 day warranty. That alone should be enough to set off loud sirens in anyones head.

All in all, I would pay 1/4 the price it is now, maybe more IF they had drivers matching iZ3D's- which they dont.

But hey, atleast its not as bad as eDimensional's "ATi Driver". I'm surprised they dont have a class action lawsuite agianst them yet for false advertising ;P

Every ATi owner that buys them will never touch stereo3D again because of the bad experience... doing the industry more harm than good, the dafties...

I remember nVidia had one against them for their "directx10 compatible" label on their 8800s when there was no dx10 driver... seems everyones out to make a quick buck nowadays.

To sum up, ill list my stereo preference from best to worst... sorry if i miss anything...

Projected
iZ3D
HMD
Dual Screen Mirror
CRT
Anaglyph
Last edited by RAGEdemon on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
sharky

Post by sharky »

nathansteinke wrote:>ou know me trough chat in th emeantime.. i can GUARANTEE that the >problems metioned con be solved in less than 20 seconds adjusting the >nvidia settings for the front pannel.. i did it on mine and it works great..

Hi Sharky, could you please give a written tutorial on how to do this? Where in the display control panel to change this, which screen corresponds to "front panel" and how you adjust, test, and readjust?
Are you talking about color correction?
If so, I see "desktop" and "overlay" panels as choices.
Nothing for "front panel".
Thanks.
-Nate
oh yes ofcourse! no problem! i am really busy today so i don't know if i find enough time to do it today, but just in case i can't do it today ill do it tomorrow.. che cout the DIY section.. going to post it there... ;)

bye

ps: by front pannel i mean the one wich controls polarization, so the overlayed one.

chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

The bulb lasts for 3000 hours and new one will cost $200 on eBay. It is 2500 Lumens of pure goodness with a 2000:1 contrast ratio. And to top it off, it it comparatively very cheap.
Ha, maybe for you. I think $200 is about what I spent on my last monitor (19" CRT), which I got back in 1999 and is still going strong (In fact I almost wish it would die so I would have an excuse to the get the iz3d). I mean I'm sure projected is terrific, but since I'm not rich and famous I can't justify the bulb cost (over the span of time I would want to use stereo).
My units screens were faulty so they had to be returned. And thats the other problem. The very short warranty. Its like they KNOW its going to break down very soon so they only give a short 90 day warranty. That alone should be enough to set off loud sirens in anyones head.
That coupled with a tripled price and locked forums sounds like a big warning.
But hey, atleast its not as bad as eDimensional's "ATi Driver". I'm surprised they dont have a class action lawsuite agianst them yet for false advertising ;P
Yeah that surprised me too. I tried it out and what killed me was that I COULD see a 3D difference, except that it just looked like a flat screen pushed back/forward, I couldn't really make out any depth of objects and I was trying hard.
To sum up, ill list my stereo preference from best to worst...
Well maybe it's because of the model I used, but I can't agree with the HMD, it felt like a blurry Viewfinder and wasn't half as immersive as shutter glasses on my 19" monitor.
All in all, I would pay 1/4 the price it is now, maybe more IF they had drivers matching iZ3D's- which they dont
Speaking of which (this is to everybody), how do the iz3D drivers compare against Nvidia's, especially with regard to depth? I find myself pushing 100% on Nvidia's frequently and it still not being as much as I'd like (for inside monitor anyway).
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

nVidia's depth is subjective. If you set the monitor size to the smallest selectable and you have a 19", it will be very deep, so much that your eyes cant cope. If you set it to the largest, then there will be very little depth at 100%.

This is probably because these are fail-safe values so people dont accidentally set it too high and start getting headaches.

The depth (seperation) is the least of driver's concerns, as once the stereo is going, depth and convergence are comparatively extremely easy to manipulate.

About the HMD though, its high on my personal list compared to a CRT because there is no ghosting and no darkening of the image - shutter glasses allow only ~25% of the light through from the monitor making the image look dark and greyed out , but which can be compensated atleast to some extent using gamma and vibrance settings. the HMD on the other hand, is bright and completely ghostless.

I guess again its subjective. I was using FPS games as a frame of reference, but you are quite correct: clearly playing games like RTS or other viewing formats, it looks much better on a CRT than an HMD ;-)
Last edited by RAGEdemon on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
sharky

Post by sharky »

hi.. i osted the tutorial nate asked for in the DIY section.. its sticky...

bye

sharky

RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Thanks sharky, im sure it will prove to be very useful <3
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Seriously is shutteglasses on a CRT that bad?
What about:
LCD's fixed resolution, tearing.
Projectors don't work in daylight, color tinting, 85Hz.
HMD's low resolution.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

In my personal opinion, compared to other technologiues out there, its not that its bad, its just not as good as. Far too much ghosting.

I havent commented on LCDs as I don't think a workable shutter solution has been found even with displays with very low response times/shutter glasses. If you atre talking about the iz3D then im not quite sure what tearing you are referring to Freke1... is it something to do with vSync?

AFAIK, there is no tinting with most projectors at 60Hz, and although bright scenes look flickery, the ghostless 200" image puts the 19" ghosted image to shame - in FPs atleast :)

Its just personal taste in the end hence with most comments i add "in my opinion" :)
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I guess Vsync eliminates tearing (? the screen updates faster than the other ?). I forgot that.

I'm having a blast with my shutterglasses and my CRT. No problems just hours of 3D gaming. I rarely notice ghosting and have adjusted brightness and color. 1024*768 @ 120Hz so no flicker and high fps so far. It's not perfect but it works really well :D.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

I know what you mean mate. Games like C&C generals look absolutely amazing, and better on a CRT than on proj or HMD by far.

You do get used to ghosting too, and within hours, the mind learns to filter it out so its not a big problem.

I used to adjust the convergence so that the bottom part of the map converged at the screen. It looked exactly like you were playing with toy models on a table top. The "little" fighters and commanches would come out of the screen and float in front of your face and the whole stereo effect added so much to gameplay.
Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

Hmm do the new C&C games work well with Nvidia drivers then?
maybe I should check them out then :P

Don't know if CRT would be better than projected though.. works pretty nice here on projected too..
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

I dont think Tiberium wars is nearly as good as generals/zero hour. With generals and zero hour, it was technology that is currently available mostly. Warthog close air support, f22, chinese mig, commanche, tanks that look like tanks, buldozers, nukes, missiles, trucks, rockets etc.

Current technology to identify with, + an excellent in game upgrade system.

The new tib wars looks too cartoony, as did red alert 2. Red Alert 1 was an awsome game though :)

If you are into RTS, then I would highly recomend supreme commander multiplayer. Not sure how it runs in stereo though.
Jahun

Post by Jahun »

Supreme Commander doesn't work. At least for me.

It does have quite some 2D stuff going on too (fire etc), to make it happen. There can be soo many units on screen and stuff going on, they needed to cut corners to keep it playable I guess.
sharky

Post by sharky »

heh you finally got one.. :D

there is a special section for compatibility with games.. ;)

cu

sharky

Jahun

Post by Jahun »

ehm.. if you are referring to me:
I don't have one.. (yet?)

I was more making a statement on general compatibility of SC.. Since it incorporates quite alot of 2D.. I'd think no one can make it work.. Not sure though, and if they manage, it'd be quite nice :)
sharky

Post by sharky »

oh sorry.. :D misunderstood.. :D

Mong
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mong »

Man i really want to buy this monitor but they only deal with credit cards(which i perfer not to have)...hmm i'm all cashed up and ready to purchase...sigh! :(
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I wired the money manually via the bank. Went fine. Have e-card but it didn't work for some reason.

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Here's my personal review of the IZ3D 22"er. I'm no pro but i'm trying to be objective. :D

Connection: The monitor takes all voltages between 100-240 volts 50/60Hz so you can connect it in every walloutlet in the world. It draws at max 160Watts of power. All the necessary cables (usa net, european net cables, two dvi-cables and one vga-cable) are included so it's just unpack, connect and you're ready to go. The monitor itself has three signal-inputs: Two dvi (back and front) and one vga extra for the back panel.

Requirements: Computer with winXp and Vista 32-bit. Graphiccard with two videooutputs.

Pictures: (I actually have it this way on the table). :)
Image Image Image

2D-viewing with the IZ3D: Personally i have no problem reading/using the iz3d in 2d as long as i keep the glasses off. The effect looks a little bit like an optical smooth filter is attached to it. The picture however is sharp. Have taken some pics here too. The monitor to the left is a samsung syncmaster 19"LCD and the right one is the 22"IZ3D. The middle picture is a Samsung-lcd closeup and the rightmost one iz3d closeup.
Image Image Image

Ingame screenshots are made with the iz3d driver while playing. When i take the shot i have delayed triggering on the cameras so i can let the cameras focus and lock on the "naked" screen. Then i attach the polarized glasses. This way i'm sure to get the color differences too. However i have a feeling that the color difference somehow is enhanced with these cameras. This effect isn't this big when gaming with it (personal experience, other iz3d-owners might want to add their opinion and in that case: Please do. :) ).

Everybody can now try the iz3d-driver (v1.07) in anaglyph mode and try compability with games and their computers. These screenshots is only to somehow see how it performs. The upper picture is the original screenshot from the driver. The lower one is the (hopefully) corresponding screenshot taken with stereocamera with iz3d-goggles using s-view. :D. Either view them x-eyed or with a low ghosting device for a somehow fair result.

Added in betaglasses pictures with another camera used past time since i exchanged those.

Flat Out 2 screenshot images:
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Standard glasses view:

Betaglasses view:

Portal screenshot images:

Standard glasses view:

Betaglasses view:

Tomb Raider Legend & Anniversary screenshot images:

Standard glasses view:

Betaglasses view:

Tomb Raider Legend & Anniversary screenshot images:
Image Image Image Image Image

Standard glasses view:

Betaglasses view:

Pros: Easy to handle, polarized so others can view also if you're not sitting to close to the monitor. Polarized system means lightweight glasses, comfort and cheap replacements of glasses. Great support from iz3d developers. Excellent stereodriver. Older games can be played using the nvidia "old-school" way using the NeurOk option. No opengl games though.

Cons: Still some ghosting in brighter areas (sky etc). Reduced a bit with the betaglasses.
The colordifference which with betaglassesnow is reduced to a fully acceptable level.
No opengl support for the moment.

cheers

Edit at 2009-06-03: Put in pictures taken with a camera through the betaglasses.
Last edited by Likay on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.
sharky

Post by sharky »

hi likay!

fantastic review.. original.. a true 3D review.. maybe a little less text.. :D

by the way, i agree with oyu that the color differences are not that much while using it. and if you look at the center picture you ahve taken, in the very irst row, cou can seel that the cameras itself have some coloring differences.i would say that in reality it is around 50 to 60% of what you see in these pictures.. do you agree?

bye

igor
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Agrees. Forgot to say that the cameras are not the most expensiest either.

cheers
Neil

Post by Neil »

You got OpenGL to work with the iZ3D monitor with the 93.81 combo?

On my 7900, the monitor didn't polarize with those drivers. Did I misread?

Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

You're right. :oops: and i edited the post above.

Must have it mixed with either gaming with shutters or beamers...
Tried the 93.81 combo with no success. Tried 91.31 next with no luck either... Now bringing the scope to check my bio-memory.... maybe ageing is a fact? :oops:

cheers
Oruq
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Oruq »

Great review, Likay. Now I know that the problems I am having with ghosting on the 22" iZ3D monitor are also existing on your monitor, which tells me that the monitor I have isn't broken. It's just a crappy product.

I personally think that the iZ3D guys should stop wasting time with that monitor and implement additional stereo modes, then start selling their stereo drivers so people with different stereo "hardware" (2 monitors in planar setup, 2 projectors, shutter glasses, 3D monitors from other manufacturers) can start playing the latest games in real S-3D with the latest graphics cards and not depend on nVidia and their mercy to release something usable.

Costs for selling downloadable software on a simple webpage are next to zero. If they are worried that the drivers would eb pirated, they can implement some simple internet activation method. I'm not sure about the best price, since there are no real costs involved and the price would only depend on the number of sales, but I am sure that thousands of S-3D fans would be ready to pay $200 (I know I would) for decent stereo drivers, so they can use their favourite 3D stereo hardware today.

Regards,
Oruq
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Oruq,

It's rare that I interject like this, but I think some of the things your are posting are inappropriate.

I can appreciate that for you, the iZ3D monitor isn't quite what you are looking for. Maybe your eyes are sharper than others, or maybe you have specific needs that others don't, and that's fine. You have a right to your opinion. However, every post I read from you includes some unrelated potshot at iZ3D. While I know I'm wrong, you come across as having the intention of causing harm to the company rather than actually reviewing their product.

If I can use myself as an example, Zalman and NVIDIA are not official sponsors of MTBS. Their current drivers haven't been released yet, so they are at a temporary disadvantage. Regardless, I'm respectful as is the majority of our members here.

I think you should take a moment to recognize that iZ3D and TDVision sponsor this site and this community. While I own and operate MTBS, and while I have sole control of this website, there is an obvious line between giving a product a poor review and purposely denigrating a product. Please be sensitive to my concerns on this matter and put some thought into how your posts help the community. I value your participation here and thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “3D Monitors”