List alternate s3d drivers

iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

List alternate s3d drivers

Post by iondrive »

Hi all,

So what alternate s3d drivers are out there that I don't know about for windows games?

These are the ones I do know about:

1) Nvidia - various outputs depending on age of driver
2) iZ3D - ""
3) Tridef - interlaced mode but soon more, also high-end 3d outputs.
4) eDimensional - interlaced mode. Not very good from only 2 games tested. Not sure if it's still being actively maintained. Probably not.
5) KindDragon - anaglyph and shutterglass modes but he says shutterglass is not as good as iZ3D's. I haven't tried this one. Not actively maintained I think.

Any others out there? I think I have to exclude eye-scream/wicked3D? Shoud I not exclude them?

bye now.
System specs:
CPU: 3.2GHz Athlon 64 X2 6400
RAM: 800MHz 4GB dual channel mode
Video: geForce 8800GTS PCI-e, 640MB ram, driver 196.21
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: List alternate s3d drivers

Post by cybereality »

Hmm, there is also the Vuzix Stereo driver, but it only works with the VR920. The VR920 basically works via page-flipping and uses the USB to sync the signal. If you were really enterprising you could probably build a USB device that would take this signal and convert it into something that could be used by generic shutter glasses. You would also have to spoof the VR920 so the driver thinks you have supported hardware. A lot of work probably for nothing, but with the other ideas you have been talking about I figured I'd throw that out there.

And if you want to talk about legacy drivers, what about the good ol' VRCaddyXP? Lol.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Then there is the Wazzabe driver for their monitor.

Vertical interlanced for Autosetreoscopic.
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

hi cyber and cirk2,

I forgot about vuzix. I have a VR920 but hardly use it. That's an interesting idea about using it with shutterglasses but yeah, it's not worth it. Someday I'll try it some more. I don't think the motion sensing is good so I use it with a gyromouse and it can be neat when calibrated right. I connect it to a shoulder-strapped laptop so I can be 360 degrees mobile. Anyway...

I researched Wazzabe and they have an interesting monitor for about $1000. It looks like they don't offer their driver for download and even if they did, it's setup to need an activating license. What's interesting about it is that it looks like it's not just vertical interlacing for 2 eye-views but for "multiple" eye-views. This is like a normal lenticular image that can have like 10 points of view behind the lenses. I could be wrong about this since 2 is also "multiple". I can't know for sure how many POV's their driver generates but it shouldn't be that many since it's for an LCD screen and the pixels normally aren't that small. It would have been interesting to check out their driver even without one of their monitors. Oh well.

Legacy drivers? I don't know anything about the VRCaddyXP but I don't want to go too far back in time. Last time I did that, I tried playing these games in S3D: Hi-Octane, Terminal Velocity, Duke Nukem-3D, and Shattered Steel. I haven't tried Magic Carpet in 3d yet. I've tried LCDBIOS with Descent 1 and 2 but now I know that I can just run dxx-rebirth with older nvidia drivers. Hmmm, I think I'll start a new thread.

later.

PS: from Wazabee's forum, it looks like they're no longer updating their driver. I would wait another year before actually accepting that. Maybe they'll start up again.
System specs:
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

iondrive wrote:Legacy drivers? I don't know anything about the VRCaddyXP but I don't want to go too far back in time.
Its not that far back in time. In fact, the last version released had some beta support for DirectX9 I believe. I think it was used in conjunction with Winx3D maybe. However I can't find it for download and I don't really remember what games it supported or what you need to run it.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

iondrive wrote: PS: from Wazabee's forum, it looks like they're no longer updating their driver. I would wait another year before actually accepting that. Maybe they'll start up again.
Problem is that the driver is on Per-Game basis, no updates --> no new games.

So they have to update regulay to add new games...
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

Hi again,

VRCaddy:
Thanks cyber, researched VRCaddyXP and ancestors. I suppose I am interested in drivers all the way back to DX5. First impression made me think that it's only for ATI cards which I don't have but then I found this page which you've probably seen before:

http://www.stereo3d.com/gamebasics.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't mind trying sync-doubling mode but like you I can't find any downloads for either VRCaddy or Winx3D. That's OK, I don't think I'll spend much more time on that.

-----

GLDirect:
From the above page, I noticed SciTech's GLDirect and downloaded version 5.0.2 from

http://majorgeeks.com/GLDirect_d381.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't tried it yet. It's for OpenGL games so this one might be useful but don't get your hopes up.

-----

More3d:
Found another one from more3d.com:

http://www.more3d.com/3-D/downloads_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's mainly for dual-input display systems but the manual says it has an active mode for OpenGL but don't get excited, it's professional version currently costs $9,784.60!!! :woot Tell Neil we need a new emoticon for sticker-shock--heart-attack!

Current prices at:
http://shop.more3d.com/webshop/Category ... tware.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like you might be able to try if free for a while but the manual does mention that it can have problems with some post-processing effects so that doesn't sound so good. It also says you may want to turn down antialiasing. You need nvidia driver 181.22 and at least a GF7900. I won't try this for some time yet since I would have to switch graphics cards and drivers.

-----

Filesource:
HEY!!! Just found a good source of older files including VRCaddyXP_Trial. Check it out if interested:

http://www.tankraider.com/VR/Tools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-----

Alright, that's it for now. I'll post more if I ever try any of this stuff.

--- iondrive, the 3d driver collector :shutter ---

PS: I actually don't think I have that many.
System specs:

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”