Problem with local disk

Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Problem with local disk

Post by Tril »

When you right-click on a drive letter in "My Computer", the first choice is supposed to be "Explore" (and it's supposed to be bold) and the second one is supposed to be "Open". If it's not that, a virus most likely changed something in the registry. On my laptop, I had a virus change something like that. It made the C drive detected as an external drive (like a USB thumb drive) or CD drive. I think the virus made it like that so that the drive would execute autorun when you double-clicked the drive letter and autorun would run the virus.

Try a free antivirus like Avira. It should solve the virus problem. After that, you might have to manually edit the registry to get your drive back. That's what I did on my laptop.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

You are on XP I assume? I would try booting up in safe mode and see if there is still a problem. You just need to hit the F8 while the computer is booting up. From there I would run a virus-scan just like Tril said. If that doesn't work then try to explain better when the problem is (with screen-shots if necessary). Its hard to understand whats going on.
gisabun
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by gisabun »

allenborder wrote:Hello to all....
I have one problem. In "My Computer" when i am trying to access my local disk drive it show's me a window where i have to chose some program.
This disk drive is named C:\ and there is also installed all the programs a windows also. I can access this drive through other directories but not directly.
You may want to hold off on tinkering with the registry unless you know what you are doing.

You can try resetting Windows permissions. There's a utility in http://support.microsoft.com/fixit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or search their site.

Also use a proper malware cleaner. Not all AV software can detect malware properly or at all.

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”