85Hz Limit - nVidia Driver Restriction?

UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

85Hz Limit - nVidia Driver Restriction?

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

It appears nVidia are intentionally restricting people from using high refresh rates. I tried adding 1024x768@100Hz as a custom resolution, the nVidia driver tested it and all looked good until I realised it actually added it at 85Hz!

Both my CRT and DLP Projector are limited to 85Hz on Windows 7, while my Windows 2003 Server with a FX5200 offers 100Hz for both at 1024x768!

Is their a solution to this?
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 85Hz Limit - nVidia Driver Restriction?

Post by Neil »

Do you have the actual driver for your display device?

When I used to use shutter glasses with my 19" CRT monitor, I did not have full flexibility until the actual monitor driver was installed no matter what customizations I did. A generic plug and play monitor driver won't work.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

This seems to be a Vista issue. I don't think it has anything to do with the 3D Vision. I found posts of people having this same problem as far back as 2007. Have you tried to force the refresh rate with an external program?

Riva Tuner: http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RefreshForce (for XP, but worth a shot): http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that doesn't work (and it probably won't) you could try editing the "nv_disp.inf" when you reinstall the forceware driver. Check the following link, it may be the answer you seek:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=249866" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pabls71
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pabls71 »

Hi,

I don't think this was intentional by Nvidia. I have been messing about with my new Nvidia Glasses and Edemsional and have conected the Edimensional dongle to the Nvidia emitter with use of a stereo jack to 3 pin minidin and low and behold I have discovered that I can use the Edimensionals along side the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses. This is great however I have discovered that the Nvidia glasses display ghosting at 85hz while the Edmensional glasses do not. Therefore I feel that this is because of the greater surface area on the Nvidia glasses oposed to Edimensionals that is the problem. I have always loved my projected 3d and Edimensionals but I love the wider range of view offered by Nvidia. Whether the greater view offered by Nvidia is to limit the use of these glasses to 120hz displays or simply to offer a better range of view is a question only Nvidia can answer. But its great to be able to use my Edimensionals when ghosting becomes to much of a problem for the Nvidia glasses.

:shutter :D

p.s. For anyone wanting to reverse the stereo image you should use the Ed controller to sync when in stereo. This will set up the stereo properly. Happy gaming...
pabls71
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pabls71 »

:oops: :cry:

Sorry I think I forgot to tacle your main question.
Windows 7 is still a relatively new platform and I believe maybe Nvidia have not ironed out all their problems yet. Nvidia seem to have brought out the Nvidia 3d Vidion for Vista and for primary for Vista. I am sure they will fix this with an update to their driver. I also hope that they open up support for XP as this was and still is way better than Vista (dunno about 7.)

p.s. I have just discovered that the ghosting on 85hz is caused due to the colour differnece between the two eyes and because of the bigger glasses, this seems to increase the ghosting. Sorry rambling again (but hopefully somebody can gain insight from these ramblings!) :mrgreen:
:wink:
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

8) nice info - I have some that are bigger than eDimensional's and they ghost more especially around the edge.
And You can compensate the colortinting and lightloss in the Nvidia control Panel - helps a lot.
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

I'll try modifying the INF on my next driver install. Thanks guys
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

Just to update, this limit really is nVidia! Nothing can fix it except for you down-grading to 182.50.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=102787" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So who do we contact to start Anti-Competative Legal action against nVidia? Because all monitors other than those Offically Supported by 3D Vision no longer allow anything higher than 85Hz. Surely this says it all?

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

UndeadD3vi1 wrote:So who do we contact to start Anti-Competative Legal action against nVidia? Because all monitors other than those Offically Supported by 3D Vision no longer allow anything higher than 85Hz. Surely this says it all?
I am still unsure about what financial gain they have for putting in this artificial limitation. If its true that this was done in the 182.50 drivers (and later) then I don't see their 3D Vision or partnership with Samsung/Viewsonic to be behind it. I mean, those drivers came out in 2007, a full 2 years before the 3D Vision did. This would be around the time Vista came out, so maybe its a Vista issue. Anyone have an ATI card on Vista and a CRT they can test with?
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

Wasn't 2007 also the year that nVidia Droped the 3D Drivers which caused a good few Stereo 3D related companys to go bust? (Killing the competion?)

EDID tools confirm that the monitor is reporting its correct specs to the GPU, ATi Cards do not have this problem, and Offically Supported 3D Vision screens can use refresh rates higher than 85Hz fine.

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

The 162.50 beta stereodriver is a good example. It only allows anaglyph stereo for a lot of hardwares while stereo might work on some else. I have by mistake got the 162.50stereo working with every vga-monitors by using deltaco vga-to-tv converters. They replace the edid with their own and this edid seems "valid for stereo" regarding the 162.50... Unfortunately cannot run the iz3d since it needs at least one dvi...
Just an example but i think i mentioned nvidia guineapigs before (on the nvidiaforums though)....
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
xplo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xplo »

same problem here with 190.38 under win 7,
i cannot get my crt monitor to go over 85hz regardless of what i put in "custom resolution" :/
thud
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by thud »

UndeadD3vi1 wrote:It appears nVidia are intentionally restricting people from using high refresh rates. I tried adding 1024x768@100Hz as a custom resolution, the nVidia driver tested it and all looked good until I realised it actually added it at 85Hz!
I just reinstalled the 162.50 beta Stereo drivers, and you have to uncheck the box that says 'Show only the
resolutions that this monitor supports' otherwise the refresh rate is capped at 85 Hz. After that you can set
the refresh rate how you want it. Be careful obviously, as you may fry your monitor.

As Neil says, installing proper monitor device drivers is a good idea, and may help with this. As far as I know,
my monitor device drivers should still be in place, so I don't think that was my problem. I would guess things
were set up this way on the advice of nVidia's lawyers so nobody actually fried their monitors ...

If on the other hand, you mean the Stereo test, it always runs that at low resolutions. Once you decide you want
to REALLY enable Stereo 3D you can test at higher resolutions/refresh rates.
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

This issue is well documented on the nvidia 3d vision forums and the only solution is to short one of the pins on the VGA cable. No other solution mentioned in this thread works on the newer driver sets as far as I know.

Right now I dont even own a desktop PC capable of 3D so i'm not too bothered anymore. Much more important things for me to do like trying to find a home now I'm homeless.

Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Nvidia dirty trick #5765757.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

UndeadD3vi1 wrote:This issue is well documented on the nvidia 3d vision forums and the only solution is to short one of the pins on the VGA cable. No other solution mentioned in this thread works on the newer driver sets as far as I know.

Right now I dont even own a desktop PC capable of 3D so i'm not too bothered anymore. Much more important things for me to do like trying to find a home now I'm homeless.

Hi Undead! Nice to see you're back!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”