Is there any way to capture a stereo movie?

Gerald
One Eyed Hopeful

Is there any way to capture a stereo movie?

Post by Gerald »

As I put together my LCD monitor based stereo rig, I am wondering how I might capture these incredible visuals and replay them. My setup, like nubie's who suggested the idea, will use 2 displays conected via DVI. Windows only sees one display, and they are cloning each other. However, the Stereo drivers somehow sneak the other image onto the cloned display (and reverse it!).

So it's all a hack, and a normal FRAPs or other screencapture tool probably only would capture the image from one viewpoint.

Hmm.

Some games allow you to create "demos" that record everything, and play them back using the same game engine. This might be the only practical way.

If I were made of money, and had some reason to be doing this professionally, I could record the 2 video streams using a DVI capture card. Perfect quality - but no way to send to anyone.
dr_barnowl
One Eyed Hopeful

Anaglyph

Post by dr_barnowl »

You could capture anaglyphic stereo with no special effort. The problem with most software movie capture is that it won't capture at the full framerate, which breaks the page-flipping mechanic.

Anaglyph would work because it only uses single frames, so it doesn't matter if you drop some.
gisabun
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Capturing

Post by gisabun »

There are capture software out there, both pro and shareware which can capture the screen but probably just one of the screens as Windows considers what you to have as having two video cards and not one.

On top of that [as stated before] you may loose frames if you don't have a strong system, especially trying to capture video off a game.

EVen on a strong system, expect some lost frames. As an example, there is no way to convert a PowerPoint slideshow to AVI or MPG or anything else. I tried capturing the same slideshow twice and twice I even got a different length of the video even though the slideshow didn't change [and I'm not talking about a few seconds difference].

Obviously if you try screen capturing, turn off everything else. No AV, no other apps, kill off loaded apps, stop unnecessary services.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Yes I think there is a possibility. Freke1 did some on his homepage: http://www.surf.wep.dk/
Maybe he'll tell us how to do it :P
I'm not shure if you have done so already, but it should stand here as well^^
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Certainly, I made the crosseyed game videos taking a lot of 3D screenshots and putting them together in Win Movie Maker. I've since found out that crosseye videos can be viewed in real 3D with the Stereoscopic Player from:
http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx
The Stereoscopic Player can also take a left eye video and a right eye video and play them simultaneously creating a 3D video. So You could just shoot 2 video (left and right) or (I think) just place the 2 monitors side by side and shoot a video and play it using the Stereoscopic Player in 3D.

There are a lot of 3D software out there. I don't know much about it, but I have placed some of the most interesting links on my site.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”