Head tracking in DCS: Black Shark

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Head tracking in DCS: Black Shark

Post by crim3 »

I still don't have this sim as am waiting for the moment I can have a new computer that can deliver 3D graphics to my z800 and I don't think that my current setup is powerful enough to run it at acceptable fps.

So, what is it that I'm hearing about the BS head tracking? Isn't it working unless you are using a real trackir? Does it mean the glovepie's trackir emulation isn't working in BS?

(By the way, can the simulation window (not the menus) be run at 800x600?)
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
A.J.
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Head tracking in DCS: Black Shark

Post by A.J. »

As far as I know, it only works with TrackIR 4 at the moment. Earlier versions of TrackIR and FreeTrack are not supported but
FreeTrack support might be implemented in later patches. So I guess glovepie doesn't work either.

EDIT: there's a fix for FreeTrack and earlier versions of TrackIR now, this might work with glovepie as well. http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... h_ver.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Head tracking in DCS: Black Shark

Post by crim3 »

Self-answering just in case it can be informative for someone.

I could not make it work with TrackIr emulation, but all the 6 DOF can be assigned to joystick axis, so I'm using a 6 axis PPJoy emulated joystick to succesfuly have headtracking (I had to disable those annoying camera angle limits for correct 1:1 head movement ratios :x )

The menus seem to run at desktop resolution and the simulation at the resolution configured in the options. 800x600 is not available at the options menu but can be tweaked editing the correct Lua file. Perfect! I was afraid it would not allow 800x600 like x-plane does.

Great stereo in general but has the same 2 issues than the Lock On engine had:
- clouds switch to a fixed depth when you are close enough
- HUD is rendered in a surface located at the HUD's frame, instead of outside the cockpit to create the illusion of a collimated HUD simbology. That make it really difficult to use it in stereo.

But I'm loving it overall. A whole aircraft simulated in my PC. The dream I used to have when I was a teenager come true.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760

Return to “General Discussion”