Perception 2.0 won't run on windows xp

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
ctetrick
One Eyed Hopeful

Perception 2.0 won't run on windows xp

Post by ctetrick »

I was able to run earlier versions of Perception with no problems. When I downloaded Perception 2, it reports "Perception.exe is not a valid win32 application". I tried downloading again, but got the same message.

Here is where things get a little more interesting:
I tried running it on my Windows 7 machine at work, and it came up with no problems. I then set up the source, and built it (BTW, thanks so much for making thinngs easy to set up and build - can't tell you how many times I've given up on open source projects because they were a real PITA to set up). The executables where the same size and the new build also ran.

I then tried to use a diff tool to see if there was any difference between the downloaded build and mine: The diffing app would not open the exe or most of the dlls - but gave the message: "The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file". I've never seen it do this before.

I haven't spotted anything in the source, but may keep looking.
I suspect something is not quite right with the build somehow.
Any help would be appreciated - just got my rift, and dying to try more stuff!
ctetrick
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Perception 2.0 won't run on windows xp

Post by ctetrick »

I found at least a partial explanation: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1130 ... pplication

(short version, this is about the platform targeting update)

I also installed the x86 redist, but that didn't seem to work.

Of course, if the code uses Windows 7 specific api calls, I'll have to wait until I update my system. Always a GIANT task, but I am going to finally do it.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Perception 2.0 won't run on windows xp

Post by Neil »

Yes. None of us are running XP here. Some of our developers have...(shudder)...Windows 8 even.

Sorry about that!

Regards,
Neil

Return to “Development / General Discussion”