Profile and shaders

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
silentmonk
One Eyed Hopeful

Profile and shaders

Post by silentmonk »

Greetings!

I have a question about profile creation. I have looked over the forums and I am seeing people having issues with getting X to work with the perception driver. I started to play around with Rift MMO with the 1.0 driver release and got it working. the 1.1 drivers did not seem to want to play well and I really struggled with the 2.0 driver.

I had created a profile for the rift.exe and experienced crash after crash. As soon as the launcher called rift.exe, the game would crash. For some reason I had cleared out the profile I had made. The game loaded, but it was not in 3d. Next I had copied the skyrim profile and modified it a touch as both skyrim and rift uses the gamebryo engine(granted both games are heavily modified). I got Rift to load in 3d, however it appears to crash when loading the map. I suspect that the issue may be centered around the shaders being used for the profile. Does anyone have recommendations on a base set of shaders when testing out new games and profiles?

BTW, thank you guys for the time and effort that has been put into making the drivers.
EisernSchild
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: Profile and shaders

Post by EisernSchild »

silentmonk wrote:Next I had copied the skyrim profile and modified it a touch as both skyrim and rift uses the gamebryo engine(granted both games are heavily modified). I got Rift to load in 3d, however it appears to crash when loading the map. I suspect that the issue may be centered around the shaders being used for the profile. Does anyone have recommendations on a base set of shaders when testing out new games and profiles?
If you copy the Skyrim profile please delete all VRBoost entries. (Both path name and shader count entry) A VRBoost file created for one game will never work for another game. I cannot imagine due to the security concept of VRBoost but that possibly causes the crashes.

Try to create your own shader rule file setting >shaderModRules< to a zero value, the game type to "10600" ( 600 for gamebryo and 10000 for the shader analyzer mode...), then starting the shader analyzer. Since the analyzer is optimized for skyrim it should find new rules there. Please read "doc//brassa.pdf" for further instructions and post all your progresses.

If the game keeps crashing i can at least say that we soon want to debug Fallout 3 (it crashes as much as i now... Fallout:NV works) to ensure full gamebryo compatiblity.
silentmonk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by silentmonk »

Greetings EisernSchild,

Thanks for the heads up and doing the needful. I guess I needed to actually RTFM instead of glancing over it as I did the first time. I reverted asap and will have to test when I get home tonight. I did notice that I will most likely have to tweak the HUD as most MMO's have the HUD windows placed on the sides and this does not play well with the chromatic aberration from the lens of the Oculus.

On a side note, the access violations that I was seeing when I reviewed the crash dumps now makes sense. I am new to programing and crash dumps are not something that I had the painful pleasure of having to analyze.
silentmonk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by silentmonk »

Greetings,

So for a quick status update, I had followed the recommended steps at allowing the software to create a new profile which it did. I am still getting crashes when the game tries to load the map but is fine at the char. selection screen. Using debugdiag, I was able to grab just a couple of the crashes which I thought was very odd as before every time the game crashed I was getting dumps. When it did crash the analysis was pointing to the d3d9.dll. I do not have the specifics at the moment and I am not sure what information would be of use.

If there is any information that I can provide please let me know.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”