Problem with skyrim + vireio

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Problem with skyrim + vireio

Post by Leopardson »

Hi,

Whenever I use Vireio Perception with Skyrim, I can see that the two cameras render fine on my monitor, but in the rift, the two cameras are completely off, and to match up the cameras requires me to cross my eyes, which is bad.
On top of that, there is a large portion of the rift's screen not rendering anything, and what does render appears to render the wrong way, i.e the distance between the game's screen and the bottom of the rift diverges from left to right.
Sorry if it isn't clear, it's very hard to explain what I'm seeing in words.

I tried 1.0.0, and 1.1.0, then gave up, and tried again with 2.0.0, and I have the same problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this or what might be causing it?
My best guess is that the screens are in the wrong position or something. Don't know what to do.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Problem with skyrim + vireio

Post by Neil »

This is peculiar. I wonder if your images are reversed.

Read the FAQ and performance recommendations. I think there is a disconnect somewhere in how the drivers are being used.

Regards,
Neil
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Leopardson »

Neil wrote:This is peculiar. I wonder if your images are reversed.

Read the FAQ and performance recommendations. I think there is a disconnect somewhere in how the drivers are being used.

Regards,
Neil
I made sure I was following that. Tried pasting everything in the folder to no avail.

I found what is going on, and have a way to show it. I don't know how to fix it. I took two screenshots, one with Tridef which works but is unplayable because of game bugs, and one with Vireio which doesn't have the bugs but the screens are screwed.

Skyrim with Tridef:
http://i.imgur.com/xOUF8Jp.png
Skryim with Vireio:
http://i.imgur.com/KRc1Eom.jpg

Apparently, the Vireio size on my screen is much bigger than that of Tridef. Also, the screenshots in Vireio are at 1280x1024, which is the native resolution of my monitor, rather than the resolution of the HMD. I have the monitor set to duplicate displays.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Neil

Post by Neil »

OK. I think we are closer to solving this now.

Make sure your monitor and the Rift are at the SAME resolution and refresh rate. In this case, they have to be at 1280X800 pixels and 60Hz.

Regards,
Neil
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Leopardson »

Neil wrote:OK. I think we are closer to solving this now.

Make sure your monitor and the Rift are at the SAME resolution and refresh rate. In this case, they have to be at 1280X800 pixels and 60Hz.

Regards,
Neil
Done and done, same problem. I even have it on "Duplicate displays" so my main monitor is at 1280x800.

I think I have just confirmed that it is Tridef causing the problem. It is definitely a Tridef + Vireio conflict.
Here's an additional screenshot of the Oculus World Demo, which works fine:
http://i.imgur.com/898HpjO.jpg

In both the Vireio Skyrim setup and the Tuscany World Demo, the image takes up the entire screen, whereas in Tridef, it uses only a small portion of the screen.
So, if Skyrim uses the Vireio override, but tries to view it like Tridef would, it would explain eveything - What I'm seeing in the oculus is the space in the Tridef screenshot, but the screen is showing what is in the Vireio screenshot, which explains why everything is off.

So, I guess the question now is a lot simpler and a lot more specific - How can I make sure Tridef isn't doing anything to the game?
I've tried completely closing Tridef (including killing its process in the task manager) and exiting + restarting Steam, but I don't want to uninstall it if I can help it because I use it for other games.
Neil

Post by Neil »

To unlock TriDef from Skyrim, you have to exit Steam completely. Once that is done, TriDef should no longer be resident.

What are your computer specs?

Regards,
Neil
LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by LordJuanlo »

As far as I can tell, sometimes TriDef keeps launching together with the game even if you launch the game directly and not from TriDef panel. This happens if you have recently launched the game from the TriDef panel, and closing TriDef does not fix it. I always restart my computer in this case.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Leopardson »

Neil wrote:To unlock TriDef from Skyrim, you have to exit Steam completely. Once that is done, TriDef should no longer be resident.

What are your computer specs?

Regards,
Neil
Tried that many times already. I'll try LordJuanlo's suggestion and do a full restart. Thanks for the help guys, by the way.

Specs:
ASUS m5a87
AMD FX-6200
8gb (4x2gb) DDR3
Radeon HD 5770
1TB WD Caviar Blue
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Leopardson »

LordJuanlo wrote:As far as I can tell, sometimes TriDef keeps launching together with the game even if you launch the game directly and not from TriDef panel. This happens if you have recently launched the game from the TriDef panel, and closing TriDef does not fix it. I always restart my computer in this case.
Not even restarting fixed the problem. Does Tridef poop a .dll in the game folder of whatever game it's running?
Edit: Nope. Tried it with a dummy .dll and it didn't drop anything in the folder.
Last edited by Leopardson on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil

Post by Neil »

When you start a game:

1. How are you starting it? (Where)
2. Do you see TriDef information text in the bottom left corner when a game starts?

Regards,
Neil
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Leopardson »

Neil wrote:When you start a game:

1. How are you starting it? (Where)
2. Do you see TriDef information text in the bottom left corner when a game starts?

Regards,
Neil
1. The problem exists no matter what. I have tried:
Running it via SKSE_LOADER.EXE
Running it via skyrim.exe
Running it through steam via the launcher

2. Nope. The text is only present when I'm running it with Tridef activated.

Edit: Here's an image that demonstrates what is going on. I edited the tridef image and placed it on top of the Vireio to show how the oculus is using tridef space with vireio.
http://i.imgur.com/HWtPd9I.jpg

Of course, there isn't actually a white clone of tridef's screenshot over the view, this is just to show what is going on with the screen sizes.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ok. If you aren't seeing a text blurb from TriDef when you first run Skyrim, then they aren't the issue at all.

So this raises another question. Do you have any Skyrim modifications installed?

Regards,
Neil
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Leopardson »

Neil wrote:Ok. If you aren't seeing a text blurb from TriDef when you first run Skyrim, then they aren't the issue at all.

So this raises another question. Do you have any Skyrim modifications installed?

Regards,
Neil
Many, but they're mainly weapons and models. I do have SkyUI and a couple other HUD mods installed but that is it.

Also, when I start Skyrim in Tridef, I almost never see the text blurb. It only happens sometimes - I think when I start it for the first time.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ok. Get rid of all of it. This is probably the problem. Get back to vanilla as much as possible.

Regards,
Neil
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Leopardson »

Neil wrote:Ok. Get rid of all of it. This is probably the problem. Get back to vanilla as much as possible.

Regards,
Neil
I backed up all my poop, wiped the folder, and am now reinstalling it. If this doesn't work then I'll call an Exorcist.

Edit: Alright, that seems to have worked. Seems like black magic to me, but hey, it works!
Now to reinstall some mods.

Thanks!

Return to “Development / General Discussion”