Dirt3/2 Now With Positional Head Tracking (OpenTrack/FTNoIR)

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Dirt3/2 Now With Positional Head Tracking (OpenTrack/FTNoIR)

Post by mm0zct »

After some playing with the hydra and rift sdks and Virieo settings I have a version of opentrack that will give you positional head tracking along side the rotational tracking of the Rift.

First my Dirt3 Virieo entry that gives me alright stereo

Code: Select all

<profile game_name="DiRT 3" game_exe="dirt3_game.exe" game_type="601" separation="0.00344" convergence="5.5236" swap_eyes="false" yaw_multiplier="25" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />
	<profile game_name="DiRT 3" game_exe="dirt3.exe" game_type="601" separation="0.00344" convergence="5.5236" swap_eyes="false" yaw_multiplier="25" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />
These settings should work in Dirt2 and other EGO games I expect.
The Dirt2/3 etc FOV changer utility can be easily found via google, use it to set the FOV to 90.
When you start Virieo set it to Oculus Rift as normal, but with No Tracking.

Now for the OpenTrack part...

You can download the OpenTrack with Hydra at:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152 ... _hydra.zip
and without (just rotational tracking) at:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/152 ... ntrack.zip

The only difference is the opentrack-tracker-rift.dll file (and the translational curves are fixed in the hydra one).

Now start OpenTrack, have the rift facing forwards and press start.
Take a hydra controller, and see if the position values change, if not put it back on the base and try the other controller. If neither does anything try pressing a button on a controller and repeat.
Now take the active hydra controller and strap it into the top strap of the Rift.

You'll notice if you go into the Hotkeys menu that I have centring bound to the 'end' key, you can change this to whatever you prefer.

Now put on your Rift, press the centre hotkey (end) and you're good to go.

Launch your game and if you notice the tracking is a bit funny just press the centre hotkey again, it'll pick it up even in game.

WARNING: Dirt3 has a very limited range of movement, small head movements are fine, but they don't let you move the head very far, rotational tracking is quite far left and right and up, but not very far down for some reason. Trying to look where the game won't let you is a good way to make yourself sick. Also I don't account for the fact that the Hydra isn't in the centre of your skull yet, so it's positional tracking is exaggerated a bit when you roll your head.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Dirt3/2 Now With Positional Head Tracking (OpenTrack/FTN

Post by cybereality »

Awesome work man!
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

Thanks Cybereality! Youtube video now available http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ6iX2Tqwx8
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by museumsteve »

I am sooo happy, fantastic work mate.
I dont have any programming skills to offer to the community but I'm a very grateful end user..
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

Very cool. Does this OpenTrack configuration for Rift + Hydra tracking work in all games that support Track IR input?
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

In theory yes. The rotation part has been tested to work with FSX for example (with a mono Virieo configuration, game type = 0) and I see no reason why the positional tracking shouldn't so long as the game supports positional tracking with TrackIR in the first place.

Please try it and report back :)
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

mm0zct wrote:Please try it and report back :)
I'd guess I'm about 6 weeks away from having my Rift to do any useful testing.

The possibility of being able to use 6 DoF via the OpenTrack+Rift+Hydra in anything that has the appropriate (6DoF) TrackIR support bumps those games way up my priority list of things to try and get working in Vireio.
morgg
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by morgg »

Great work mm0zct! I hope I can try that tomorrow and report.

Where are we supposed to place the Hydra for FTNOIR? Does the code take into account the Hydra translation when we turn our head, since it will probably be off-center from the rotational axis?

I tried the helicopter demo with the Hydra strapped to the back of my head, and it didnt take that into account, so you could see your own shoulders and missing head when you turned your view 90 degrees :-)
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

I put it on the top of my head behind my headphone band, and no it doesn't take account of that _yet_ but I'll get it sorted eventually using the Rift's orientation to project the hydra's known location through your head to work out where the position I should pass (probably the centre of your eyes, so project hydra position forward a skull radius and down a half skull radius). Dirt3 has a limited movement range so it's hard to do anything where you would notice it's not in the correct place without hitting the limits on the movement allowed.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Got my Rift today so once I get settled this evening this will be my first port of call...I'm sure I'll be back with hiccups and issues.. :?

Thanks for the work 8-)
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

does it only work with the hydra or can you still use an xbox controller?
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Vamplifire wrote:does it only work with the hydra or can you still use an xbox controller?
A Hydra isn't just a controller it has magnetic tracking which enables the position of the controller to be tracked in 3D space. An xbox controller doesn't have any positional tracking so it can't work.
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

V8Griff wrote:
Vamplifire wrote:does it only work with the hydra or can you still use an xbox controller?
A Hydra isn't just a controller it has magnetic tracking which enables the position of the controller to be tracked in 3D space. An xbox controller doesn't have any positional tracking so it can't work.
I guess i should be more specific. Can you use the X-Box controller or will it disable the head tracking?
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

boo...I cant even get Dirt 3 to run in 3d so cant really see the screen. Also it always freezes after selecting single player :(

I assume once I have put the Dirt 3 profile in perception, I just run perception a leave it?
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

A 360 controller will work fine as input, the head tracking has nothing to do with that, i use a g27 racing wheel but it works fine with my 360 pad too. If you don't have a hydra download the version of opentrack that i said does not expect one.

On the Dirt3 not working front, i forgot to mention that you have to force it into dx9 mode like all games with virieo just now. In my documents/my games/dirt3/hardwaresetting.xml or something like that there is a forcedx9 false setting, make that true.

Also make sure the resolution is 1280x800 and then try it again. You are correct that you should be able to just launch virieo and leave it in the background then launch Dirt3.
no.recuerdo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by no.recuerdo »

Can i use the opentrack_hydra when i play with other game as a "head track" and more important with he Sony HMZ.
Or is essential the rift hmd to use.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

mm0zct wrote:A 360 controller will work fine as input, the head tracking has nothing to do with that, i use a g27 racing wheel but it works fine with my 360 pad too. If you don't have a hydra download the version of opentrack that i said does not expect one.

On the Dirt3 not working front, i forgot to mention that you have to force it into dx9 mode like all games with virieo just now. In my documents/my games/dirt3/hardwaresetting.xml or something like that there is a forcedx9 false setting, make that true.

Also make sure the resolution is 1280x800 and then try it again. You are correct that you should be able to just launch virieo and leave it in the background then launch Dirt3.
Thanks for the reply mate.
I've forced dx9. I cant load Dirt 3 if I have Vireio running. My headtracking etc is perfect. I can run Dirt 3 then launch virieo but then i dont get 3D. Also shouldn't my monitor show the rifts 2 images, cos I'm still just getting one normal image on my screen.

I will keep trying :)

..and also, sorry for probably stupid question, but how do I actually launch SHOCT .
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

lol...so close now :D

It seems my amBX was messing my Dirt game (it's been a problem before) so now I can launch it, headtracking and can launch SHOCT but I cant find the hotkeys to switch to 3D, i see 2 screens on monitor and in rift (well actually 2x2 on monitor lol)
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

More success...but still hiccups.

I can get 3D running if I dot launch virieo :? If I do launch virieo I get 4 screens.

The controller lag is bad, using Fanatec CSW. This is with v sync off.

I cannot get the game to accept 1280x800, when i choose it the game crashes. If I change docs/hardware/config etc to 1280x800 the game wont start.

Tomorrow is another day :)
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

You'll get quad views if you copy the d3d9.dll into the game directory when you don't need to. Some games work with just peception running without copying dlls to the game directory. Copying them in as well for these games causes the quad view.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

I'm a virgin :lol: but I wont give up

I copied the 3 dll's into the Dirt folder and if I dont launch virieo I get 3D okay.

I cant work out how to get 1280x800 in the game without it crashing. May be something to do with not having Rift as primary display?

Anyway..I have the whole evening later to try it all again :)
If I get it running properly I'll fire up my motion seat and see how it fairs..
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

museumsteve wrote:I copied the 3 dll's into the Dirt folder and if I dont launch virieo I get 3D okay.
I'd remove them from the Dirt folder and leave the perception app running instead if you can get it to work that way. I've had problems in other games where, if the app isn't running, you get random 3D settings instead of the ones from the cfg.
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

I works perfectly for me in Dirt2 with Hydra positional tracking, but I feel the cockpit scale is wrong, it feels huge! Should I adjust separation settings to get a more reasonable scale? Also the Hydra movement feels a bit slow, I've created a curve on OpenTrack identical to the Rift curve: a straight line. So I guess I will have to try different values. Any recommendations?

Maybe it will work better in Dirt3, I'll try it this weekend.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

ChrisJD wrote:
museumsteve wrote:I copied the 3 dll's into the Dirt folder and if I dont launch virieo I get 3D okay.
I'd remove them from the Dirt folder and leave the perception app running instead if you can get it to work that way. I've had problems in other games where, if the app isn't running, you get random 3D settings instead of the ones from the cfg.

Thanks mate..I'll have a look tonight.
Did I miss something somewhere, cos I couldn't see any kind of instructions on how to actually use Virieo.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Still struggling. I removed the 3 dll's and now if i launch virieo i still get 4 images. If I dont launch virieo I just get one image.

Also, why is Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 different game types? 601 & 301
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

The Dirt2 profile 301 that is there is what should be the mode for Ego engine games, but it doesn't work properly yet, and we discovered that 601 for Skyrim actually works almost perfectly with the Ego games, so just switch over to 601 for Dirt2 and Dirt3 (and other Ego games)

If your cockpit feels too big you haven't run the FOV utility I was talking about to change all the cars' head view to be 90 degrees FOV.

If the tracking isn't sensitive enough then make the curve steeper, make it go half way along and all the way up (twice as steep) and let me know if it feels better, I didn't play around much to find the "correct" movement scale, because the Dirt3 range of movement was so limited I preferred being able to move my head more without bumping into it.
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

no.recuerdo: the version I posted uses the Rift for orientation and the hydra for position, the hydra is pretty bad at orientation tracking but I could easily hack together a version which does this for you anyway to try with your HMZ-1, check back in a couple of days an I'll probably have a version for you to download :)
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

museumsteve wrote:Still struggling. I removed the 3 dll's and now if i launch virieo i still get 4 images. If I dont launch virieo I just get one image.
No idea why that is happening. I don't have Dirt 3 to test with. The only way I get quad view in anything is the way I described before.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

It's not an issue mate :) I gave up on racers for a while and decided to concentrate on the other stuff doing the rounds :)
I'll come back to it in time.
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

I did some testing with Dirt 2 and managed to reproduce the quad image problem. It is happening to me if I have two Dirt 2 profiles rather than just one.

So if you have a profile for "dirt2_game.exe" and "dirt2.exe" then remove the one for "dirt2.exe".

That will get you back to 2 eyes rather than 4 in Dirt 2, so I assume it will work for 3 as well.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

ChrisJD wrote:I did some testing with Dirt 2 and managed to reproduce the quad image problem. It is happening to me if I have two Dirt 2 profiles rather than just one.

So if you have a profile for "dirt2_game.exe" and "dirt2.exe" then remove the one for "dirt2.exe".

That will get you back to 2 eyes rather than 4 in Dirt 2, so I assume it will work for 3 as well.
Thanks mate :)
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

Thanks everybody involved. I have just played a few hours of Dirt 3 with Vireio, full stereoscopic 3D, full 6DOF headtracking, 60fps+ (vsync turned off in Dirt 3 graphics settings), at 1080p which is then mirrored to the Rift control box which is doing its own downsampling/downscaling to provide some 'poor mans' anti-aliasing. My mind = blown. This is totally amazing. The RallyCross events are some of the best in VR, due to their tight track layouts and other cars on the track at the same time. Just awesome.

I had to play around with the F2/F3 seperation quite a bit to get the car interiors feeling the right size (even after applying the 90 FOV patches to all the cars). To start off with it felt like I was sitting in a cave they were so large! Anyway, they feel nice and tight now, about the right size for a small rally car, which makes all the difference. The positional tracking with the Hydras is just the icing on the cake. I also had to turn shadows down to the lowest setting to get them to stop flickering, but I am ok with this, it still looks great.

Thanks again. Must play moaaaaaaaaaarr. :woot

EDIT - I am also playing with a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel, using a Wheel Stand Pro (http://www.wheelstandpro.com/). It all just feels so great.
Last edited by Tankshell on Thu May 30, 2013 5:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tankshell
Software Developer & Founder of Handheld Pixels
Read My Oculus Rift First Impressions | http://timloram.me.uk | http://handheldpixels.co.uk
BDVS4Ever
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BDVS4Ever »

Well I got everything up and running. Now I just need to sit and wait for my dev kit to show up :cry:
Thanks a lot for all of the information!!
i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz, AMD 6870 @ 1.1ghz, and all cooled by fans XD lots and lots of fans...
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Tankshell wrote:Thanks everybody involved. I have just played a few hours of Dirt 3 with Vireio, full stereoscopic 3D, full 6DOF headtracking, 60fps+ (vsync turned off in Dirt 3 graphics settings), at 1080p which is then mirrored to the Rift control box which is doing its own downsampling/downscaling to provide some 'poor mans' anti-aliasing. My mind = blown. This is totally amazing. The RallyCross events are some of the best in VR, due to their tight track layouts and other cars on the track at the same time. Just awesome.

I had to play around with the F2/F3 seperation quite a bit to get the car interiors feeling the right size (even after applying the 90 FOV patches to all the cars). To start off with it felt like I was sitting in a cave they were so large! Anyway, they feel nice and tight now, about the right size for a small rally car, which makes all the difference. The positional tracking with the Hydras is just the icing on the cake. I also had to turn shadows down to the lowest setting to get them to stop flickering, but I am ok with this, it still looks great.

Very good to hear. I have a free evening tonight so will be concentrating on this and F1 again..
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

Tankshell wrote:Thanks everybody involved. I have just played a few hours of Dirt 3 with Vireio, full stereoscopic 3D, full 6DOF headtracking, 60fps+ (vsync turned off in Dirt 3 graphics settings), at 1080p which is then mirrored to the Rift control box which is doing its own downsampling/downscaling to provide some 'poor mans' anti-aliasing. My mind = blown. This is totally amazing. The RallyCross events are some of the best in VR, due to their tight track layouts and other cars on the track at the same time. Just awesome.

EDIT - I am also playing with a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel, using a Wheel Stand Pro (http://www.wheelstandpro.com/). It all just feels so great.

Hi all! First post on MTBS...have been lurking for a long time with nothing to add really ;)
I really liked DIRT 2 and 3 (not so much the first as that for some reason never ran fluidly - i'm a sucker for vsynced 60 ALL THE TIME).
My RIFT should arrive somewhere in June i hope ID46733...

I'd like to know if VIRIEO allows 60fps already with stereo 3d. I remember it doing something like stealing a frame for one eye and then using the next frame and some Zbuffer magic to produce the right eye;s image. This resulted in 30 frames when synced... Is that over now?
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

Mattijs wrote:

Hi all! First post on MTBS...have been lurking for a long time with nothing to add really ;)
I really liked DIRT 2 and 3 (not so much the first as that for some reason never ran fluidly - i'm a sucker for vsynced 60 ALL THE TIME).

I'd like to know if VIRIEO allows 60fps already with stereo 3d. I remember it doing something like stealing a frame for one eye and then using the next frame and some Zbuffer magic to produce the right eye;s image. This resulted in 30 frames when synced... Is that over now?
Well my experience over the last few nights has been silky smooth, I have been playing racing games for years and can instantly tell when something is running at 30fps vs 60fps (especially when viewing through the rift it becomes even more obvious). Dirt 3 defo appeared to be running at 60fps as it was so silky smooth (note I hade vsync turned off in Dirt 3 graphics settings). I have no idea about the technicalities of the Vireio driver itself as I have not been involved in the development of it, this is purely my observation.
Tankshell
Software Developer & Founder of Handheld Pixels
Read My Oculus Rift First Impressions | http://timloram.me.uk | http://handheldpixels.co.uk
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

Tankshell wrote:
Mattijs wrote:

Well my experience over the last few nights has been silky smooth, I have been playing racing games for years and can instantly tell when something is running at 30fps vs 60fps (especially when viewing through the rift it becomes even more obvious). Dirt 3 defo appeared to be running at 60fps as it was so silky smooth (note I hade vsync turned off in Dirt 3 graphics settings). I have no idea about the technicalities of the Vireio driver itself as I have not been involved in the development of it, this is purely my observation.
Thanks for the reply! I wonder though...where would the 60 cap from then if the vsync is turned of? Wouldn't it just be like normal VSYNC off: not having a cap but always suffering from tearing?
Eitherway..even if vsync still has to be off for more then 30...still super excited about having my VR cherry popped with DIRT
Virgman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Virgman »

Just picked up a copy at GreenManGaming for $8.50. Can't wait to try this one out.
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

You have to have vsync off or you will get 30fps. This is because Virieo uses alternate frames for each eye. 60fps vsync = 30fps per eye, so you really want to run without vsync and hope you get 120fps. I haven't noticed any tearing with my amd hd7870.

Also codemasters sale at greenman gaming is a great opportunity for anyone to get in on this, £2.50 for dirt2 which is a great game.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

I'm back trying this again tonight (DiRT 2) and got it working fine..although I am really struggling to drive it which is bizarre because it's one of my favs (so much so that I did it 100% on PC and Xbox) yet I cannot judge speed or corners :s
i've set FOV to 90 and yet cockpits still seem too big and wheel too close. I saw Tankshell mention making changes with F2/F3 but I dont see how the change the cockpit size :S

Return to “Development / General Discussion”