Vereio Perception Framerate

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
HappyWaffle
One Eyed Hopeful

Vereio Perception Framerate

Post by HappyWaffle »

So I don't have my Rift yet (should be shipping soon), but I've been downloading every tech demo/VR mod for anything I can find in preparation for it. One thing I noticed about Vireio Perception is every game I try seems to be capped out at 30fps with vsync instead of the much preferable 60fps. I'm running on a desktop with an i7-3770K, 16GB Ram, GTX 680 lightning. Portal, for example, runs at 30fps with vsync no matter what graphics settings or resolution I use even though my gpu usage is very low.

Maybe I'm just missing something, or maybe I shouldn't use vsync with the Rift (I hate tearing, but Idk how bad it looks from inside a Rift yet). I just feel like in a game like Portal, where normally I can get like 300fps when forcing 32xCSAA at 1080p, I should be able to at least get 60fps when running no AA at 800p.

Anything else I download that's made for the Rift, like the unity tuscany demo or the epic citadel demo all run at 60fps.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Vereio Perception Framerate

Post by cybereality »

Unfortunately the way the software works is that it alternates every other frame to each of the eyes. So if you use Vsync, then you will only get 30FPS. It is recommended that you turn Vsync off (this is noted in the Readme). If you are getting over 120FPS, then you should end up with a smooth 60FPS with 3D enabled in the software. The other downside is that each eye will not show exactly the same image, which can be jarring in some cases.

Doing a proper simultaneous render would be better, but is a little more complex technically.
HappyWaffle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HappyWaffle »

Interesting. Is there a way I could set vsync to limit my frames to 120? That way I could get a smooth 60fps without tearing.
HappyWaffle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HappyWaffle »

I just copied the profile line for borderlands and changed it to borderlands 2 and it works but with a ton of graphic glitches. But what I don't understand is with vsync Borderlands 2 was running at 60 frames for each eye using Vireio. It was much smoother than using Vireio with Portal vsync.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”