HMZ-T1, Optoma GT750, LGLW5500

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
fsp48
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fsp48 »

Well I have been a rather bad financial planner as of late. I could probably write a book on how not to save money but the latest tech has been just too cool to pass up. I have waited for all this stuff to finally come out and not be priced out of the park like another toy I wish I could afford which happens to be a boat called the Seabreacher X. The big problem with that is it has a MSRP of 85k. Toys like that make these latest 3d purchases seem rather tame in cost.

I will get around to some reviews of the headset when it gets on my head in the next week if it ships on time (10/26/11) but until that I have been very happy with the passive LG 47" as well as the new Optoma GT750 which is my first go with RF shutter glasses let alone a ultra short throw 3d projector. Something very cool about a giant 3d image projected on my hotel wall while traveling on business. Since it comes with a nice padded backpack it is the best option for travel other than the new headset. I do think the package should have come with at least 2 sets of glasses for the same price though. It will cost a bit more to be able to share that big projected 3d image. I do love how short the throw is though as this is my first use of a short throw projector as well. I have it set on a coffee table about 5 or so feet from the wall and on top of another 6" to 8" tall box and it gives me about an 80" or 90" inch image at perfect viewing height. At this size the picture is plenty bright even on STD bulb settings even with the lights on in the room. I'm no projector snob that is super super picky but I have a good eye and at normal viewing distance this thing looks awesome for 720p 3d as well as just general use from desktop to movies. Native res is 1280x800 DLP 16:10 but dedicated buttons and settings for 16:9 means it's made to run standard HDTV widescreen which it does just fine. I'm perfectly happy giving up true lines of resolution for the price and features this unit provides. It's a 3000 rated lumens DLP gaming projector.

As far as the LG is concerned I was sold on the passive tech it offered the first time I tried the demo at best buy. I did stock up on movie glasses to share but I highly recommend getting a nice 20 or 30 dollar set of curved optical quality glasses to make it even better.
The picture in 2d looks very good for edge lit and the gyro air mouse remote is great although the regular remote has it's place as well. I do wish it had a slide out keyboard like the Vizio but the gyro hunt and peck method does make it pretty easy to type with anyway. The apps are ok but the various movie apps like NetFlix work well. A nice surprise is how well the 2d to 3d conversion works. Great to add some 3d effect to games that would otherwise not work in 3d. Dedicated made for 3d games will always be better but the option is still nice. It can be interesting and add some depth effects to various shows or movies as well.

Not sure why I keep reading a lot of "meh" type comments in various blogs and articles in regards to 3d. I do feel that gaming content is the biggest market for it as regular programs are scarce and movies need to be done right to really benefit from it. The bottom line is for me it really adds so much more immersion into the viewing experience. I guess it's up to us early adopters to help get the prices down faster for the mainstream to fully get on board. After all it's just an option you can choose to enable if you want to once the displays just have it built in.

Can't wait to try out the HMZ-T1...glad I held out from the Imagine Z800 back in 2006. Weird thing about that was the price doubled a year after it was released. The head tracking thing can always be added on in other various ways although I wish the headphones on this new Sony offering were optional without modification as it is lacking a dedicated mic and chat audio control for gaming. I will however figure out how to rig something up eventually. It will be interesting to see how the DSP 5.1 compares to my Tritton true 5.1 set I use now.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: HMZ-T1, Optoma GT750, LGLW5500

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I am excited about the HMZ-T1 too. Been a real expensive month or two, so I don't think I can get one on day one (unless a really break the bank, but I'm trying not to). So I totally here you man. That projector sounds like. Still want to get one of those too.
Damo3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damo3D »

Just bought the Optoma HD33, was gonna get the HMZ but this is a way better route, cuz the FOV Im getting at 720p 3D (+1080p 2D) is insane (probably 75 - 80) compared with the wimpy 45 on offer from SONY. I tried the HMZ and was pretty disappointed.
fsp48
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: HMZ-T1, Optoma GT750, LGLW5600

Post by fsp48 »

I just wanted to update the model number of the LG to 5600 to be correct in what I have. The only real difference of 5500 vs 5600 was the inclusion of the magic remote...aka gyro remote. Some like me love it while the less coordinated might hate it.

So is your new HD33 fully out of the box HDMI 1.4a compliant? As in, it does not need the $300 3D-XL converter box to run the PS3 and other 3d sources besides a PC? I saw an ad online about the "all new" HD33 but did not look into it since I already have my GT750.

I hope my impressions of the Sony 3d viewer are better but if not I have a 30 day no questions asked full money back return policy from the Sony store online. So far my 1st shipping deadline has been missed so I hope Nov 4th is not as well.

I did just throw on Resident Evil 3d for the 1st time playing through the PS3 and was very impressed with the picture and playback of the GT750. Looks like my pizza delivery guy knows what he is buying for X-Mas now. I've been having a blast playing all my 3d as well as 2d PS3 titles on my hotel wall and even some PC too with the Razer Hydra.

I do like the size and brightness of the projector enough to give up my LG flat panel which is just as cool albeit not very mobile. The LG is, however, going to a family member gamer who will make full use of it's excellent 3d and HD display. I will miss the low cost of good glasses for sure. From what I have read LG does in fact make and sell it's passive panels to Vizio so there is a nice cost savings right there for anyone shopping for a 3d display. Should be just as good but I have not personally tried the Vizio.

A bit off topic but here is some info on my other than display game gear. I know most of everyone here are dedicated to PC 3d gaming as there are many more variables with hardware and settings to get right. I mentioned PS3 because I dove into console gaming last year because of the concept of the mouse-like MOVE controller while still offering, in the long run, a great blue-ray disc player and web media player.

Move is fun and works well but then I also found a 3rd party Xbox device, the XIM3 which works amazing, almost 100% PC aiming feel adapted to PS3. MOVE and the BR player got me to buy a PS3. Now XIM3 and PS3's ease of use has made me hang out a while because fun console gaming is now possible for me needing MOVE or M(G700)/KB(N52TE) based control to stand a chance and have fun playing. I just can't aim with a stick. FPS and even 3rd person shooter are 100% better with either the MOVE or a mouse to aim.

As far as console vs PC game purchases my big bonus for console is always knowing the game will run the best it can on my PS3. Black Ops on my Steam account is waiting for a better tower to run smooth aka playable...laptop GT240m can't cut it. In time it will be built though, seems right now I've spent any new tower money on all the latest 3d display tech. I do miss a powerful tower and all the options. BF3 and any game will do 3d on PC, supported or not, way before if ever it's 3d updated on PS3. Not sure why DICE/EA balked at doing 3d as a standard.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

DICE implemented a native 3D mode for BF3, both Nvidia 3D Vision and AMD HD3D will be supported. It just wasn't ready for launch. They will have a patch.
fsp48
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fsp48 »

I tried posting this to the Sony page the other day with the other user reviews and just looked to see if it was up and if I got any feedback. It seems they have redone their website for the better but they only left the 4+ of 5 stars without the actual user reviews. There were many speculative pre-order reviews as well so I guess I get why they cleaned it up. I want this thing to sell well too so they keep going on the next gen and fix it's flaws.

PROS: Immersive HD/3d game and movie experience, portable, not pocket portable but easy to take on a trip comparatively.

CONS: Expensive, Challenging to fit, very small comfort and visual sweet spot, non removable headphones, no optional mic for game chat

Once it's fit correctly you can enjoy the most immersive HD and 3D gaming and movie experience to date for a consumer HMD. I like to play iRacing, rFactor, LFS, GT5, F1, Killzone3, BF3, MW3, Socom 4, Uncharted 3, Batman and all the rest and it really does look pretty awesome, especially the 3d games and movies. Adding TrackIR to the mix with PC sims like iRacing, rFactor or Arma2 really makes it a true VR headset...ok maybe not exactly 1 to 1 but pretty cool anyway.

Honestly after the 1st day I loved the image and despite it being a DSP simulated 5.1, even the sound. I was, however, thinking of returning it because of the fitment and comfort issues I was having for the money it costs. I had the time so I was very persistent in trying every combo of head pad and strap tension and finally figured it out. Using the thinnest pad to be closest to my eyes and the back rubber strap needs to first lock on around the little bump on the base of your skull as you put it on like a baseball cap with the top strap set for the right height to rest most of the weight on. It really should be fairly loose so it rests on the top strap while it's just propped up in place by the forehead pad. It should not really rest on your nose bridge at all when it's right.

My primary use is for gaming and I really wanted to use my Tritton Pro true 5.1 headset which also has a mic with independent game chat control. After finding no other options I took the chance and modified mine. Nothing like experimenting on an $800 device and probably killing my warranty. Coming form the maker of the PS3 along with being marketed for gaming with no proper game chat audio control is just a huge oversight that needed my post manufacturing correction. Should a problem arise with my unit at some point unrelated to my mods, I really hope that they cut me some slack. Really Sony, I was very neat and careful.

Anyway, once the unit is apart(found a great diss-assembly video online), each ear of the headphones can be unplugged from the main circuit board. I then had to carefully cut the plastic mounting frame to be able to actually remove them and keep the mounting headstrap intact. I did choose a cut-line that is between a set of mounting points of the cover piece. This will allow me to re-install the headphones if I ever wanted too because the cover piece will span over the cut-line holding them together with maybe some help by some tape of some sort. Anyway, my 3d viewer only plays the video image now. I can now use my actual gaming headset connected via optical cable to my PS3 or PC, which does amazing with movies as well, so it's better than ever. I did also removed the plastic gear to allow each eye to be slid independent from each other. This mod also lets me get a little finer separation adjustment to even set the spacing between the 5 predefined indents.

On a side-note I was able to even lose the HDMI cord and hook it up to an ActionTec My Wireless TV kit which already has low latency and an even ultra low latency Game mode setting. This can really help because then all you need by you is a power outlet for the HMZ-T1's control box and the ActionTec receiver unit. Works really well even in 3d.

If you have the cash and love the best of the latest consumer tech and are patient enough to give it a chance or brave enough to mod it then you should really enjoy Sony's 1st offering of a wearable 3d HDTV.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”