Here’s a Clever Way to Make the iPad 3D

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Here’s a Clever Way to Make the iPad 3D

Post by Silversurfer »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EFHUoPm ... edded#t=0s[/youtube]

I think there are maybe 12 people in the world who want 3D on their tablets so this is for them. Ochanomizu Women's University has developed a way to turn the iPad display into a pseudo-3D display. Well, kind of. It requires a special device.

The special device is actually a cylindrical mirror that projects what's on the iPad display but in a sort of 360 degree rotatable 3D-effect. It's obviously not the real deal but it's not as horrible as it sounds. They've called their technology 'Anamorphicons' and the mirror has touch inputs on the bottom of the cylinder (where it touches the screen and mimics fingers) and an aluminum cap to easily control the cylinder. I'm not sure what people would use this for but hey 3D on your iPad. Yay? [DigiInfo.tv via UberGizmo]

http://gizmodo.com/5854352/heres-a-clev ... ad-look-3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

WiredEarp

Re: Here’s a Clever Way to Make the iPad 3D

Post by WiredEarp »

This sounds rather similar to the old 'Time Traveller' arcade game.
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

I guess there's nothing new under the sun after all, everything just gets repeated a decade later and called something new. ;)
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Once again, NOT 3D. Its bogus 3D like this that confuses people.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Yep, it's unfortunate the article sticked the 3D term to this technique, but it seems it's only the fault of the journalists (as usual). The people of this research group interviewed by diginfo.tv only talked about 2D data projected on a 3D object, nothing more.

It's still a nice idea I think, nothing to do with 3D but pretty clever nontheless.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”